Cambridge Audio CXN V2 w/ Modwright Instruments Truth Modifications A Review

vert

Yes, many of the reviews couldn’t believe how good the stock CXN was at its price.

Add the modwright upgrades, and it’s a keeper.

I use mine with a Gigafoil with a good linear power supply and power conditioner, and it takes the modwright to another stratosphere.

jjss49

has dan posted his specific reason for discontinuing this lovely mod?  what part(s) are the issue?

if so i missed it...

vert

The wonderful quality of the modwright is how easy it is to listen to.

I can leave it on and do other things around the house, and I can still enjoy listening to it.

I never did that with my more expensive solid state NOS DAC.

nature boy

has dan posted his specific reason for discontinuing this lovely mod?  what part(s) are the issue?

if so i missed it...

I believe that Dan indicated that Cambridge Audio would not provide any parts for the CXN V2. When he initially launched the modification, he indicated that he would complete any necessary repairs since his modification voided the Cambridge Audio warranty. Obviously, he can't do repairs without parts.

I am contemplating buying another unit for a back-up for parts, maybe a refurbished one.

NB

vert

if so i missed it...

They show up used now and then.

People probably only try it with the stock fuse and internal streamer and then move on.

Only Dan knows how many units were modded, I can’t imagine it was that many.

It does need an upgraded fuse. I use an M1 Beeswax fuse.

Also grounding it with an Entreq box is necessary to get the most out of it.

As a dac, I easily prefer it over my other much more expensive and very musical NOS dac.

jjss49

i am lucky to have two of these dan-modded units, picked s second one up used after having dan mod the first one, using it in our second home...  what a lovely organic sound, full streamer capability, preamp/volume control, and of course, with dan's terrific tube output stage, you can roll tubes and actually hear differences in sound!  :icon_lol:

i was just curious to know what made dan have to stop doing these so suddenly... it can't be worthwhile for him to design the mod, make some, then have to stop making them... that sucks!

crunchmaster2000

Still very much enjoy the unit and sad to hear it seems the mod is not being done anymore? Just checked Dan's website and it's still up. Why would he still allow people to read about it only to turn them down...?

I'm intrigued by the M1 fuse. Can someone please specify the details?
https://highend-electronics.com/products/audio-magic-masterpiece-m-1-beeswax-fuse
- What size?
- Blow time?
- Amps?

I bought a used EtherRegen beginning of this year and my goodness I couldn't believe how much the combination still brought out so much more of the unit. It's almost like the music slowed down, but because the music is unfolding in so much more separated way with a very graceful decay.

nature boy

i am lucky to have two of these dan-modded units, picked s second one up used after having dan mod the first one, using it in our second home...  what a lovely organic sound, full streamer capability, preamp/volume control, and of course, with dan's terrific tube output stage, you can roll tubes and actually hear differences in sound!  :icon_lol:

i was just curious to know what made dan have to stop doing these so suddenly... it can't be worthwhile for him to design the mod, make some, then have to stop making them... that sucks!

Dan stopped doing modifications to the CXN V2 because Cambridge Audio would not supply him with parts. Since he offered to do any repairs (mods voided the CA warranty) he decided to discontinue this offering.

NB

crunchmaster2000

Ok, I found out the fuse specs, Small 5mmx20mm, 1A 250V, Slow Blow (T) fuse. Just ordered mine today - very excited about it :)

RonP

Ok, I found out the fuse specs, Small 5mmx20mm, 1A 250V, Slow Blow (T) fuse. Just ordered mine today - very excited about it :)

Keep us posted on the improvement!