What classical music you listening to, luv?

Randy

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #2420 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:06 am »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2422 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:10 pm »

The slow march continues ...

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2423 on: 4 Aug 2018, 03:44 pm »

Tyson

« Reply #2424 on: 4 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
Damn you are one a Feldman-athon!

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2425 on: 4 Aug 2018, 08:35 pm »
Damn you are one a Feldman-athon!

Ain’t done yet Tyson! About 6 more to go.

Oooh, graphic scores! Ughhhhhhhhhhh (Homer Simpson doughnut drool sound).

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2426 on: 5 Aug 2018, 05:18 pm »
The last of the Feldman mini-marathon! (My wife is threatening me to cease and desist! )  :nono:

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #2427 on: 5 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm »

Randy

« Reply #2428 on: 9 Aug 2018, 04:13 pm »

Randy

« Reply #2429 on: 9 Aug 2018, 04:18 pm »
The Malcolm Arnold symphonies are an acquired taste, but I love them, esp. in these Vernon Handley conducted performances.

Tyson

« Reply #2430 on: 9 Aug 2018, 04:53 pm »
The last of the Feldman mini-marathon! (My wife is threatening me to cease and desist! )  :nono:

I listened to some Feldman based on your marathon.  Interesting.  Sounds like a soundtrack to a mystical/poetic movie by someone like Terrence Malick.  Good in small doses, but no way I could do a marathon like you did. 

PS, any other modernist composers that you really like?  I'm already familiar with Steve Reich, Terry Riley, John Adams, Jennifer Higdon, Avo Paart, Messaien, Aho, Glass, Ligeti,  Boulez, Webern. 

Randy

« Reply #2431 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:26 am »
I listened to some Feldman based on your marathon.  Interesting.  Sounds like a soundtrack to a mystical/poetic movie by someone like Terrence Malick.  Good in small doses, but no way I could do a marathon like you did. 

PS, any other modernist composers that you really like?  I'm already familiar with Steve Reich, Terry Riley, John Adams, Jennifer Higdon, Avo Paart, Messaien, Aho, Glass, Ligeti,  Boulez, Webern.

Roger Sessions wrote eight or nine symphonies. All are great, imo.  The first is the most approachable. I also enjoy his violin and piano concertos.  A younger composer who wrote similar music, but I wish there was more of it, is Charles Wuorinen. A contemporary Danish composer named Paul Ruders is another to check out.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2432 on: 11 Aug 2018, 03:07 pm »

Hi Tyson,
I’d add Louis Andriessen, George Antheil, Béla Bartók, Earle Brown, John Cage, Elliott Carter, George Crumb, Mauricio Kagel, Meredith Monk, Conlon Nancarrow, Luigi Nono, Harry Partch, Wolfgang Rihm, Kaija Saariaho, Giacinto Scelsi, Dieter Schnebel, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and Pēteris Vasks.

I’ve been listening to several Rihm disks this week and really enjoy them.

I’d also suggest to keep an eye on Andolink’s postings. He’s far more knowledgable about contemporary music than I. And I have Andolink to thank for the Rihm and Per Norgard suggestions.

Oh no ... do I sense a Meredith Monk marathon coming on??

Cheers,
Lester

Tyson

« Reply #2433 on: 11 Aug 2018, 10:41 pm »
Roger Sessions wrote eight or nine symphonies. All are great, imo.  The first is the most approachable. I also enjoy his violin and piano concertos.  A younger composer who wrote similar music, but I wish there was more of it, is Charles Wuorinen. A contemporary Danish composer named Paul Ruders is another to check out.

Thanks, I will check them out!

Hi Tyson,
I’d add Louis Andriessen, George Antheil, Béla Bartók, Earle Brown, John Cage, Elliott Carter, George Crumb, Mauricio Kagel, Meredith Monk, Conlon Nancarrow, Luigi Nono, Harry Partch, Wolfgang Rihm, Kaija Saariaho, Giacinto Scelsi, Dieter Schnebel, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and Pēteris Vasks.

I’ve been listening to several Rihm disks this week and really enjoy them.

I’d also suggest to keep an eye on Andolink’s postings. He’s far more knowledgable about contemporary music than I. And I have Andolink to thank for the Rihm and Per Norgard suggestions.

Oh no ... do I sense a Meredith Monk marathon coming on??

Cheers,
Lester

Excellent.  Bartok, Cage and Carter I'm familiar with, but the others I have very little exposure to - will check them out.  Thank you!

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2434 on: 11 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm »
The new cd has arrived ... and it’s time for another exciting episode of Keeping Up With the Andolinks!

This is delightful:

And for afters:

andolink

« Reply #2435 on: 12 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm »
Anton Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 in A major

andolink

« Reply #2436 on: 12 Aug 2018, 12:37 pm »
Brian Ferneyhough: String Quartet No. 6
Arditti Quartet

andolink

« Reply #2437 on: 12 Aug 2018, 04:02 pm »

Tyson

« Reply #2438 on: 12 Aug 2018, 04:09 pm »
Thanks to this thread:

tjhendry

« Reply #2439 on: 12 Aug 2018, 04:51 pm »

We’re resting between Books right now.  Yesterday Angela Hewitt played Book One for us in a small church in Stratford, ON.  In about two hours we will be back there for Book Two.

Her recording of this music may be the best available but this is better than the best!