Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings
« Reply #140 on: 26 Nov 2023, 02:40 pm »
Hard to believe an entire year has gone by since my last post.  I was going to let the thread die off but so much wonderful music has come out in the past year, I felt I had to restart the thread.  Almost 15,000 views.  Thank you everyone.

The Schumann Collection, Vol. 2

Nicolas van Poucke, Piano

I was very much looking forward to this release as I have Vol. 1.  The melodies are absolutely wonderful.  What's exceptional is the recording quality.  Each note is distinct and you can hear the right and left hands as clearly as if you were standing next to the piano.

Reviews:

Adrian Quanjer, HRAudio.net:  "His careful and well-considered approach to Schumann’s five ‘Gesänge der Frühe’ is a clear and most imposing example of van Poucke’s understanding and empathy for a composer whose feelings in this late work hover between poetry and Introspection. It sets a tone that resonates in the rest of the programme, making this release, like the previous one, irreplaceably wonderful."

Aart van der Wal, Opus Klassiek:  "Van Poucke makes it a real gem, with the theme under his hands truly 'Leise, innig', the shades of shadow nevertheless beautiful in color, with as an absolute highlight the third variation ('Etwas belebter') with that fabulous, so strongly contrasting interplay between left and right hand."

Tech Specs:

Available as CD, SACD and download.  Now offering Auro 3D version.  Vol 1 is available on Vinyl.  Go to TRPTK or Native DSD to purchase.
Original Recording format: DSD
Catalog TRPTK TTK 0107  https://trptk.com/shop/downloads/the-schumann-collection-vol-2/
Venue:  Muziekcentrum van de Omroep - Studio 1, Hilversum (NL)
Recording Date:  October 2022
Sound Engineer:  Brendon Heinst

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #141 on: 26 Nov 2023, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #142 on: 29 Nov 2023, 07:28 pm »
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5, Schulhoff: Five Pieces for String Quartet (arr. Honeck/Ille)

Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck, music director.

I love this music.  Movement #1 is so compelling, I feel like getting up and marching around my listening space.  Huge orchestra sound which is typical of Honeck and the PSO.  Excellent sonics, of course, by the Soundmirror team.

---- Review by David Hurwitz:  Review: Honeck's Thrillingly Visceral Tchaikovsky Fifth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sedKJn597Ds

---- Review on HRAudio:  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=16101#reviews
Review by Graham Williams - June 30, 2023, "This is without doubt the finest modern recording of Tchaikovsky’s 5th Symphony in both musical and sonic terms that I have heard, and I cannot recommend it highly enough."

Tech Specs:
-- Available as CD, SACD and download.  Reference Recordings available for download at Native DSD.
-- Catalog # FR752
-- Venue: Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts, Pittsburgh, PA
-- Sound Engineer:  Mixing and Mastering: Mark Donahue (Soundmirror, Boston).
-- Original Recording Format: DSD 256
-- Recording Date: June 17-19, 2022
-- Release Date: July 28, 2023

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #143 on: 29 Nov 2023, 09:47 pm »
For those that can spin vinyl, this an excellently recorded lp. Both the early US pressings and the later Dutch ones. 

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #144 on: 30 Nov 2023, 03:16 pm »
Chiaroscuro Quartet: Haydn, String Quartets Op. 33 1-3.

I've never been a fan of HIP (Historically Informed Performance) style.  In this case, however, it is absolutely stunning.  The quartet plays on 1700's instruments using gut strings.  The whole conception of chamber music changes for me.  The artists noted how different it was for them to use gut strings.  For example, they had to make changes in timing to accommodate the swift drop off in sound.  Soundstage is broad and deep. The Quartet surrounds the center channel, each with appropriate distance from one another. The strings sound warm and robust, as they should.

Reviews:

-- Charlotte Gardner from Gramophone writes, "...this is a set begging to be served up with lashings of joy, and that’s precisely what the Chiaroscuro Quartet have done... ...It’s that combination of crisp, earthy clarity and lively, virtuoso sparkle that marks these readings out..."

-- A review of one of their other albums.  Adrian Quanjer - May 10, 2017,  "Perfection. Pure perfection. That’s what we have here and in multi-format. Not only the playing but also the bowing, the minute phrasing, the ‘justesse’, the musical involvement… and all the rest."

All of their releases are listed here:  https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=Chiaroscuro+Quartet

Tech Specs:
-- Available as CD, SACD and download (at eClassical)
-- Catalog # BIS-2668
-- Venue:  Menuhin Hall, The Yehudi Menuhin School, Stoke d'Abernon, England
-- Recording Date: 26th—29th October 2021
-- Release Date: May, 2023.
-- Recording Engineer:  Editing and mixing: Oscar Torres
-- Original Recording Format:  PCM 24/192

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2023, 04:09 pm by Desertpilot »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #145 on: 20 Dec 2023, 09:20 pm »
The new recording of Michael Jarrell's orchestral works on BIS is another reference level recording, and its of some quite adventurous very modern classical music.  It's pretty angular, but never devolves into the pure ugliness of the serialists:

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #146 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:01 am »
Mahler: Symphony No. 8

Minnesota Orchestra
Omso Vänskä (conductor)

This symphony is complex and exhausting.  I've listened to it a few times and the quality of the performance and the sonics are both superb.

Reviews:

HR Audio Review by Graham Williams   https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=16308#reviews
"... a triumphant performance in this penultimate release.  ...The BIS 5.0 multi-channel recording is simply awesome."

Video Review by Dave Hurwitz
Review: Vänskä Thrills in a Sensational Mahler 8th!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO5iJQtL1mw

Tech Specs:
-- Available as CD, SACD, and download (download at eClassical)
-- Catalog # BIS-2496
-- Venue: Orchestra Hall, Minneapolis
-- Recording Date: 14th—16th June 2022
-- Recording Engineer:  Thore Brinkmann (Take5 Music Production)
-- Original format: 24-bit / 96 kHz

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #147 on: 25 Dec 2023, 03:31 pm »
Chiaroscuro Quartet: Haydn, String Quartets Op. 33 1-3.

I've never been a fan of HIP (Historically Informed Performance) style.  In this case, however, it is absolutely stunning.  The quartet plays on 1700's instruments using gut strings.  The whole conception of chamber music changes for me.  The artists noted how different it was for them to use gut strings.  For example, they had to make changes in timing to accommodate the swift drop off in sound.  Soundstage is broad and deep. The Quartet surrounds the center channel, each with appropriate distance from one another. The strings sound warm and robust, as they should.

Reviews:

-- Charlotte Gardner from Gramophone writes, "...this is a set begging to be served up with lashings of joy, and that’s precisely what the Chiaroscuro Quartet have done... ...It’s that combination of crisp, earthy clarity and lively, virtuoso sparkle that marks these readings out..."

-- A review of one of their other albums.  Adrian Quanjer - May 10, 2017,  "Perfection. Pure perfection. That’s what we have here and in multi-format. Not only the playing but also the bowing, the minute phrasing, the ‘justesse’, the musical involvement… and all the rest."

All of their releases are listed here:  https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=Chiaroscuro+Quartet

Tech Specs:
-- Available as CD, SACD and download (at eClassical)
-- Catalog # BIS-2668
-- Venue:  Menuhin Hall, The Yehudi Menuhin School, Stoke d'Abernon, England
-- Recording Date: 26th—29th October 2021
-- Release Date: May, 2023.
-- Recording Engineer:  Editing and mixing: Oscar Torres
-- Original Recording Format:  PCM 24/192

It is also available on Qobuz at 24/192, and sounds incredible. Thanks for the rec!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #148 on: 6 Jan 2024, 08:39 pm »
Jeff, I super appreciate your comment.  I listen to the Chiaroscuro Quartet regularly.  Never boring.  Anyone who is a bit timid about chamber music, as I was, should give this album a listen.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #149 on: 2 Mar 2024, 01:33 pm »
Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Suite, Karelia Suite, Rakastava

Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra
Susanna Mälkki (conductor)

Marcus' Comment:  "I own several performances of this music.  This one stands out and gets a lot of play time.  I downloaded it in both stereo (for listening with headsets) and surround.  Either way, the sonics are amazing, broad and deep.  Solo instruments are clear.  The composer paints a picture with his music and that comes through to the listener.  The conductor and orchestra offer a warm and engaging sound.  Everything was balanced and flows effortlessly. The wind instruments were particularly emotionally engaging."

HR Audio Review by Graham Williams - February 5, 2024:  "In conclusion, Susanna Mälkki's latest collaboration with the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra is a testament to her interpretative skill and the orchestra's exceptional musicianship, making this SACD a must-listen for both seasoned enthusiasts and newcomers to Sibelius's orchestral repertoire."  https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=16451#reviews.

Video Review by Dave Hurwitz:  Review: Mälkki and the Home Town Team Deliver in Sibelius.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPM6nycppOc.

Tech Specs:

-- Available as CD, SACD and Download (at eClassical).
-- Catalog # BIS-2638
-- Venue:  Helsingin Musiikkitalo (Helsinki Music Centre), Finland
-- Recording Dates:  Karelia Suite: 1st—2nd October 2021, Rakastava: October 2020 (at public concerts), Lemminkäinen: 13th—16th February 2023.
-- Recording Format:  24-bit / 96 kHz
-- Recording Engineer:  Enno Mäemets