New speaker?

Tomy2Tone

New speaker?
« on: 28 Aug 2015, 05:06 pm »
i saw this posted by Gopher in the Lampizator circle whom you guys are teaming up with at Capital Audio Fest.
Is this a debut of a new speaker or is it one from Dennis Murphy's line? The white one to the left.

Looks nice! Has the appearance of powered subs like the E3...

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: New speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2015, 06:18 pm »
That's a prototype of a possible new speaker.  I don't know whether Jim has decided to play it at the show.  He was going to get some feedback before deciding.  I'm about to leave to give it a listen.

Meicheng

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2015, 06:59 pm »
Is there a built-in plate amp to drive the woofers?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2015, 08:36 pm »
Is there a built-in plate amp to drive the woofers?

The drivers appear to be similar to the E3 subs but with the site closing soon we may not know until Tuesday or Wednesday.

billmcc

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2015, 09:00 pm »
Very interesting. Hopefully someone will post the specifics (drivers, size, cost etc.) of the "white" speakers :).

Bill

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2015, 12:03 am »
Isn't that the new Raal in the white cab?

monte

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2015, 09:01 am »
I went up Sunday and the exotics where the only speakers playing and sounding very good.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2015, 02:39 pm »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:11 pm »
Wow, the white speakers definitely look as deep as the E3's but maybe not as wide. Any thoughts on the sound woodsyi?

Art_Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:12 pm »
intriguing! what is the mid driver? open back? how does it sound?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2015, 06:11 pm »
Wow, the white speakers definitely look as deep as the E3's but maybe not as wide. Any thoughts on the sound woodsyi?

Well, the white speakers definitely came in 3rd place.  It's passive all the way -- no powered woofers.  Jim was trying to build the best speakers to a specific price point.  So it's a blend of compromises.  It doesn't have the textual density of the Exoticas or the details of the SS's but it sounds well balanced tonally and has good extension.  Imaging and soundstage was good, wide and deep.  People would probably say great speaker if it didn't have the big brothers overshadowing it.