Oct 23 SCARE-FEST

Mad DOg

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2004, 07:40 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Then again, Placette Active is on my Extremely Short list of active preamplifiers to buy right away if I ever see one for reasonable $$.

the placette active is simply AWESOME! super transparent...sounds like it just completely gets out of the way of the music more so than any other preamp i've heard...

it's definitely on my short list of preamps to buy now so you'd better have a quick trigger finger on that mouse.  :wink: however you might be safe since the wife would rather i get the Rowland Synergy instead...guess i can't complain if that's what i end up with...

surprisingly enough the Aragon Aurum is a really EXCELLENT preamp. not quite up to the Placette Active standard, but also wasn't priced over $4K when new either. the congestion and midrange grain i was getting in my system was from the amps and source...the amps have now been replaced, so i'll be working on the source next...then the speakers...after hearing how amazing the 4jrs can sound and man, did they have been sounding INCREDIBLE lately, i think i'm gonna wait for the VR-4 Sr...if the Jrs can rock this hard, the Srs should be super duper impressive. i think last up will be the preamp...

Mad DOg

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2004, 07:46 am »
But I'm most curious about how Specifically the bargain Benchmark DAC compared to the Dodson, Mad Dog, b/c I get an impulse to buy the Benchmark once in a while on a whim

the Benchmark is a GREAT DAC for the under $1K, but it can't hold a candle to the $8K+ Dodson. and i didn't expect it to. the Dodson is simply in a whole other league. the Dodson doesn't sound digital at all. everything is so much meatier. layers are thicker. textures are richer. details are more detailed. it simply sounds more natural and real than any DAC i've heard. after listening to the Dodson, i'm having a tuff time listening to any other DAC.  :cry:

PhilNYC

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2004, 12:09 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
but it can't hold a candle to the $8K+ Dodson.

FYI - The Dodson DA-218 is only $7995 (unless you add the optional $300 AES/EBU input)...  :D

shokunin

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2004, 06:00 pm »
Too bad the Placette Passive didn't work out in your system b/c I have heard the Placette passive sound very dynamic with plenty of treble and bass extension before...

Then again, Placette Active is on my Extremely Short list of active preamplifiers to buy right away if I ever see one for reasonable $$.  

But I'm most curious about how Specifically the bargain Benchmark DAC compared to the Dodson, Mad Dog, b/c I get an impulse to buy the Benchmark once in a while on a whim

We missed ya Jon..  At least both the placette active and the dodson are not temporary pieces so they'll be additional chances to listen to them..  hopefully :D.  

The Benchmark DAC is a definitely a bang-fer-yer-buck value DAC, I liked it better than MD's Ptech setup, the benchmark had a very open soundstage, bass was clear and tight (when used with the placette active),  the vocals were good.  The P-tech sounded more closed in, less dynamic, less detailed.  The weakest link in benchmark is the built in preamp, then again for $975 I didn't expect that feature to be a strong point.  The built in volume control made the bass thick, midrange wasn't as clear versus using the external preamp.

What struck me first about the Dodson DAC was how silent it was, the background was black and the music just flowed.. details that were blurred by the benchmark snapped into focus on the Dodson.   The Dodson definitely did not have a midrange bloom but a good tubed pre $$ or the Son of Ampzilla can give you some of that midrange loving...

Jon L

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2004, 08:03 pm »
Shokunin, is the Placette Active and Dodson yours? (lucky dog)

And have your RMX arrived?

If so, we definitely need to get over to your place as soon as possible..

shokunin

Oct 23 SCARE-FEST
« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2004, 08:26 pm »
Hey Jon,

The placette active is mine, the Dodson belongs to Jeff, who lives near Mad DOg.  No RM/x's yet, according to Brian they are in the paint shop.  Hopefully it won't be much longer...