Greg's Tineo HT3's

jsalk

Greg's Tineo HT3's
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:40 pm »
About six months ago I ran across two small batches of South American Tineo veneer and just had to buy them.  I didn't know exactly what I would use it for since its color pallet is quite unique - reds, pinks, oranges, greys, greens, straw, caramel, etc.  But it was so gorgeous, I just had to have it.

I finally decided to build a pair of Tineo HT3's for myself, since no one was likely to ask for it.  But first I had to find some trim to match up with it.  I looked at cherry, mahogany, walnut and a few others.  I actually cut some walnut trim and was just about to glue it up.  But I thought I would first take a trip to a local mill works to see what else might be available.  I saw two boards there that I thought might work - Brazilian cherry and South American Leopardwood (which looks like Australian lacewood only darker).  When I got back to the shop and matched things up, the leopardwood was a clear winner.  So I went to work.

About that time, Greg contacted us.  He was moving from Minnesota to Arizona and wanted a pair of HT3's to work in his new Adobe-style home.  He had a few things in mind and asked if I had any other ideas.  As I thought about it, the colors in the tineo came to mind - pinks and reds that reminded me of rock formations I had seen in AZ and a book-match grain pattern that reminded me of southwest native blankets.  So I ran the idea by him and sent him a photo.

After running it by his wife, he wanted to go for it.

It was very hard to get photos that even came close to the look of these speakers live and in person, but here are some shots...

A close-up of the side detail...

A close-up of the front detail showing a little of the book-match grain pattern...

And a closeup of the new nameplate that will adorn future custom projects...

Happy listening Greg!

- Jim

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Greg's Tineo HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:49 pm »
Those are absolutely gorgeous, Wonderfully done Jim, congrats Greg.

NL20

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:19 pm »
Stunning.. and I mean STUNNING! I love woods like this..  :drool:

Great job Jim, and congrats Greg.  :green:

Steve Vol

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:29 pm »
Great Job!  Those are awesome looking.  I also like the touch of the new nameplates.

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:30 pm »
Gorgeous!!

You never cease to amaze me Jim.   :thumb:

George

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2007, 02:46 pm »
Jim - I swear to God those need to go straight to the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts, for those non Motor City folks). You are the Michaelangelo of the speaker building world. Greg - you are one lucky dude!

mca

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:48 pm »
That is by far my favorite Salk speaker to date :o

Woodsea

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2007, 07:33 pm »
I love the look of the same wood, and these are the best so far!

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2007, 08:30 pm »
WOW  :o

nicksgem10s

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2007, 08:58 pm »
These are really incredible looking.  I am constantly impressed with Jim's work.

I know how they sound as I recently joined the Salk Sound family with a pair of HT3.  That is by far the best purchase I have ever made in audio.

yooper

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2007, 09:08 pm »
Very, very nice Jim.   :thumb:  Beautiful pattern. 

Greg, you will love them.  Wait until you hear how they sound!

Mark

carusoracer

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:05 pm »
One word- "Awesome".

Enjoy!

Hey Jim, can nameplates be put on older speakers? I like the look :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:39 pm »
carusoracer -

One word- "Awesome".

Enjoy!

Hey Jim, can nameplates be put on older speakers? I like the look :thumb:

I wouldn't call your speakers "old."  But I have anticipated this question and was thinking about making a "kit" available for that purpose.  The kit would contain two nameplates, four set screws, some 5-minute epoxy and a printed template to locate the position of the screw holes.

All you would do is tape the tamplate in position on the bottom of the speaker and drill two small holes in the cabinet.  You would then install the set screws in the back of the nameplate, fill the holes with epoxy, and set the nameplate in place.  Once the epoxy dries, the set screws would be cemented in place and the nameplates will never come loose. 

If you are interested in obtaining a nameplate kit, simply PM or email.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2007, 03:34 pm »
Amazing speakers!  They make me want to move to Arizona just so I can own speakers like that!