Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000?

mjosef

Re: Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2010, 06:03 am »
I am currently using a VMPS 626R and think it competes with many of the larger speakers mentioned here. It does requires a stand, I have mines sitting atop a large bookshelf speaker, and I think it punches way above its size...check out the VMPS circle here, I think they have a 626 Jr model for under 1k.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:32 am »
Some great suggestions, I'll add some comments that you may please respond to.

Here are some suggestions I had:

Polk LSi15 $999.00[/b] demo pair at local dealer, $1699.00 retail - This may be the out of the league killer that trumps all of the others if they are still available.  One of the better Polk speakers at an excellent price, and matches the criteria, high WAF, subwoofer included, adept at music and HT.

I have a pair of the Polk LSi9 bookshelf speakers in my HT system. They are the same as the LSi15 floorstandeers except no woofer section. I've tried them with and without a Sub. Sound great without but for HT effects a sub is needed.

bestofaudio.com has them for $685.00.

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 6 Dec 2010, 10:14 pm »
I've heard the Martin Logan Prefaces at Best Buy being powered by a HT receiver  and was very impressed, even in their sub-par soundroom, and  believe you can get them for the same price AA is selling them for - that is if they're still carrying them as they are being phased out.

I did the same thing that Ken did a few years ago and was also impressed with how they sounded.  Maybe even a little embarased that I liked them better than my current speaker at that time...

It uses the BG Neo3 which explains why I might have liked it.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2010, 11:31 pm by HT cOz »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
I've heard the Martin Logan Prefaces at Best Buy being powered by a HT receiver  and was very impressed, even in their sub-par soundroom, and  believe you can get them for the same price AA is selling them for - that is if they're still carrying them as they are being phased out.

I did the same thing that Ken did a few years ago and was also impressed with how they sounded.  Maybe even a little embarased that I liked them better than my current speaker at that time...

It uses the BG Neo3 which explains why I might have liked it.

You know, I've never listened to these.  I've read the usually internet stuff, "sounds like crap", "not real Martin Logans", etc.  As happenstance would have it, the gentleman in question is using the more expensive hybrid electrostatic ML as his paradigm (I think it was the Vantage).  They are a bit too dear in price for him presently and I explained he'd need a "real" amp to drive them anyway, but he said when he heard these they were the only speaker that sounded like music, not a speaker.

The Martin Logan Prefaces is discontinued on their web site, but still available at Audio Advisor, not at Best Buy.  BB has the newer model Motion without the B&G tweeter.  Given the mixed reviews, I'd be leery recommending this one with just mail order availability.  But maybe it's a winner.   

tvyankee

bushbison

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2010, 12:03 am »
*ahem* cough-cough..POSSIBLY the BG Z-92's I have for sale in the classifieds... POSSIBLY.... :wink:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:44 am »
hey,

take a look at this.

http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000/

Thanks, actually the first list I printed out for him a while back, a nice selection of what's available in the mass market.  We have similar search engines, Google I assume.

*ahem* cough-cough..POSSIBLY the BG Z-92's I have for sale in the classifieds... POSSIBLY.... :wink:

I gave him the link, up to him if he's interested.  But, damn, even I'm interested and I certainly have way too many speakers as it is.  I think the best value is in used components that have been well cared for, certainly the case with your BG's.  He's the kind of person who thinks if it's not new, it's devalued in some way, not how I look at it.  So yes, the best floorstander under $1,000.00 may be a nice set of used speakers. 

raindance

« Reply #28 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:02 am »
The ML Preface sounds nothing similar to an electrostat... I might second the BG Z92 idea except I haven't heard them. Their drivers can be nice with properly designed crossovers. Personally I'd go with the Magnepan MMG.

WGH

« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2010, 03:32 am »
The BG Z-92 look interesting because they are full range but I have never heard them. Something to consider is recommending a speaker that will sound good with a mass market receiver, a highly revealing speaker may not be the best choice.

There is a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2's on Audiogon for $1100 (I know, over budget). These speakers are full range with strong, tight usable bass down to almost 25 Hz so no sub is needed and they play nice with affordable electronics. The speakers are discontinued so unfortunately you can't hear them before you buy but they did get well deserved glowing reviews when they first appeared. I already have two friends waiting for me to upgrade so they can buy my VR-2's. They are going to be waiting a long time.

Wayne 

avta

raindance

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2010, 11:27 am »
I missed the mass market receiver part. In that case I recommend used AV123 X-SLS Encores and you'll have money left over for a music collection. I might be putting mine on the market as I have some new Maggies coming.

sunnydaze

« Reply #32 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:09 pm »
I'll bet this is a bargain   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86161.msg874485;topicseen#new

It is.  I owned the larger FL-9.   If you wanna listen to music and not sounds, you will not touch this speaker for the price.

I second the ML Preface rec.  Two years ago I heard them at Best Buy and thought they were really excellent.  Better than a more expensive Vienna Acoustics model they had -- and I like VA and have owned them in the past.

jparkhur

« Reply #33 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:00 pm »
Magnepan MMG  600
Gr Research N3   400 +build box
Totem Rainmaker   600
Omen   899
All open and airy...

ken

« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm »
The ML Preface sounds nothing similar to an electrostat... I might second the BG Z92 idea except I haven't heard them. Their drivers can be nice with properly designed crossovers. Personally I'd go with the Magnepan MMG.

I've never heard the MMG's but I have heard stock SMGA's and believe they're much more similar than different, and there is no way I would say they sounded better then the Prefaces.  I also remember reading comments from someone on the Martin Logan forum that the Prefaces were his favorite non electrostat speaker for under $5000.00

werd

« Reply #35 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:14 pm »
I'd go for the polks or the klipsch, but their list is good.