Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

MiamiBoy

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #180 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm »
Why has there been no posts on this thread from anyone who actually purchased the MK3? What am I missing?

yakbob

« Reply #181 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:38 pm »
Hi Bob,
Do you have a chance to do any critical listening after you install the new rectifier? BTW, which rectifier did you get?

Hi chanv64,
Sorry for the delay in reply. I have tried 2 aftermarket rectifiers. Both are 5U4G type, and both fit in the case's top hole (with clearance) without modification or socket saver required.
I have a used Westinghouse from around 1967, and a brand new Psvane "247B" (it's really a 5U4G). I honestly cannot hear a difference between the 2 5U4Gs, but there is an improvement over the stock rectifier supplied with the MP-D2. The Psvane has about 50 hours on it. I'm under the impression it'll improve further after 100 hours.

The most dramatic change in sound came from swapping out the stock driver tubes with the BEL E88CC. The sound between stock and aftermarket tubes is like listening to 2 different pieces of equipment. It seems very sensitive to driver tube changes and I now understand why most owners have boxes of extra tubes to try out.  :D

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #182 on: 9 Jan 2019, 02:00 pm »
try the sovtek 6h30pi, great all round sound.  it's taller than other tubes, tip just sticks out of the hole.
there are reports that the 6h23p also sounds good, but i have not heard it.

Tubeburner

« Reply #183 on: 9 Jan 2019, 08:59 pm »
I've had the MK3 running for a full two week now and this is a serious audiophile dac. The soundstage is immense, the notes are rich with detail and it makes me want to listen. The MK3 is a big step up from the MK2 IMO. The usb has never faultered to any material I have tried or missed a connection. Even my wife was impressed by the sound. Gary's claims of more bass is correct, but I feel the bass is more accurate and dynamic. The mids and highs are wonderful. Voice has all the nuances and feel they should. The highs are clean and have sparkle. Not goey, but accurate. The MK3 is easily worth the money. My 2 cents.

JackD

« Reply #184 on: 10 Jan 2019, 02:12 am »
In my system the 6h23 was a far better sounding tube than the 6h30.  I like the stock tubes better than 6h30's but just my preference as I don't like 6h30 based preamps either. 

Tubeburner

« Reply #185 on: 10 Jan 2019, 02:54 am »
I didn't care for the Russian tubes and found the 6922 PQ and Brimar 6922 to my liking. I have several different rectifiers that I can roll and find the rectifier is a valuable tube to have for this dac.

Lazz

« Reply #186 on: 10 Jan 2019, 11:07 am »
Tubeburner, what caps, tubes, and chip is in your new MK3 dac. Thx

mav52

« Reply #187 on: 10 Jan 2019, 01:32 pm »
Tubeburner, what caps, tubes, and chip is in your new MK3 dac. Thx

I would like to know as well, I'm really thinking about one of these  ( MK3) for an office.

Tubeburner

« Reply #188 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:35 pm »
I am using Mundorf 2.2uf Silver/Gold/Oil caps. Tubes are Amperex USA 6922 and Mullard U52 CV575 rectifier. I have several rectifiers, but wanted to let this break in. The caps were from my MK2, so they were well broken in. I have the new ES9038 pro chip set. The sound is awsome IMO.

mav52

« Reply #189 on: 10 Jan 2019, 05:50 pm »
I am using Mundorf 2.2uf Silver/Gold/Oil caps. Tubes are Amperex USA 6922 and Mullard U52 CV575 rectifier. I have several rectifiers, but wanted to let this break in. The caps were from my MK2, so they were well broken in. I have the new ES9038 pro chip set. The sound is awsome IMO.

Hey thanks.  I was thinking about getting both the ESS9038 installed and getting the AK4497 module.   I was noticing that they are offering the Mundorf 2.2uf Silver/Gold/Oil caps as an upgrade option.

JakeJ

« Reply #190 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:17 pm »
It's a bit disconcerting on the ordering webpage for the Mk3 it still says Mk2 on all three choices for DAC chips.  Also note that one can buy the four Mundorf caps from Sonic Craft for about $40 less and matching to 1% is only a dollar each.

mav52

« Reply #191 on: 10 Jan 2019, 07:45 pm »
It's a bit disconcerting on the ordering webpage for the Mk3 it still says Mk2 on all three choices for DAC chips.  Also note that one can buy the four Mundorf caps from Sonic Craft for about $40 less and matching to 1% is only a dollar each.

I saw that, but a lot of manufactures are late in webpage updates and simple email handles most important questions. . .  And regarding the caps, I would rather have them installed and tested before I ever got the unit.  IF I bought them I would go through https://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitors-film-mundorf-supreme.html

JakeJ

« Reply #192 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:07 pm »
I saw that, but a lot of manufactures are late in webpage updates and simple email handles most important questions. . .  And regarding the caps, I would rather have them installed and tested before I ever got the unit.  IF I bought them I would go through https://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitors-film-mundorf-supreme.html

You almost got me there, mav52.  Your link is to the Mundorf Supreme and the cap referenced by Tubeburner and MP is the Mundorf Supreme S/G/O.  Quite the difference in price and performance.  As to wanting them installed and tested first?  Each to his own, I installed my caps myself no problem.  I bought my DAC used from an AC member and it had two Supreme S/G/O's as the previous owner operated in single-ended mode.  I wanted to run fully balanced so I needed two more and I wanted them matched.  Since PO had bought the first two from Sonic Craft and they had that info available they were able to make a very close match to within 0.2% tolerance.  Partsconnexion is an excellent company and I have purchased from them many times in the past.

I would love to be able try a set of Jupiter Copper Foils but @ ~$800 it won't be this or next week!  :lol:

Tubeburner

« Reply #193 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:38 pm »
If you are running single ended, you just replace two caps. If balanced, you replace all four caps. Sonic Craft does a nice job with cap matching. Easy to install in this dac. You can email Gary with questions. He responds in a reasonable time.

NNewman

« Reply #194 on: 7 May 2019, 05:56 pm »
Hello. Does any body know what frequency is required for the clock inputs on the ess9038pro dac boards? I mean not the masterclock input on the back side, but the sma or bnc connectors on the 9038 dac boards. Thanks in advance.

yakbob

« Reply #195 on: 19 Jun 2019, 06:35 pm »
Just wanted to provide an update on my MP-D2 (AKM4497 chip) Mk2.

I picked up a pair of Amperex 7308 (orange labels) to try out and compare with the BEL E88CCs I had previously installed.

The BELs were a huge improvement from the stock tubes (which made the MP-D2 sound like it arrived broken). They provided an increased gain, overall more forward "here in the room" sound and slightly emphasized top end sparkle (but not fatiguing). Worth a try if you need to brighten up a dull/flat system.

By contrast, the Amperex tubes sound a bit darker, definitely fuller in the mid-bass, and provide slightly fatter/looser low end. Overall bass output increased a bit, but not to the point of overkill. Worth a try if you want to plump up a thin system, but not what I would consider a "bargain" priced tube. I'd be interested to learn if there are any newly manufactured, sanely-priced, tubes that MP-D2 owners are jazzed about.

In the name of further tinkering with this unit, I ordered a pair of Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil caps to try out. I don't feel I need a cap upgrade, but am curious to hear what (if any) difference in sound they provide. I'll report back once they've had some significant burn in time.

Still running the Psvane "274B" rectifier tube, and find no need to search for others.

I'm very satisfied with this tubed DAC and the flexibility it offers.

yakbob

« Reply #196 on: 17 Jul 2019, 06:09 pm »
I have a few weeks with the Mundorf Silver/Oil caps in place (single ended connections), and I find the difference from the stock caps very subtle. Just a touch of finer grain/smoothness to the overall sound. Swapping them satisfied my curiosity, but I don't think I'll continue the hunt for additional cap variants.

The biggest difference in sound character / quality in my experience would rank in this order:
1. Signal Tubes
2. Rectifier Tube
3. Output coupling caps

Still extremely satisfied with this piece of equipment!

ciszyn11

« Reply #197 on: 23 Jul 2019, 11:16 am »
I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 and I never have a problem connecting. The uRendu should have no issues.

The Musical Paradise D2 with the AK4497 is an incredibly musical dac. I changed the rectifier to a GZ37 Mullard and Amerex 6922PQ in place of the Russian tubes and the dac sings. This replaced an Exogal Comet Plus and there was no contest IMO.

Hello. I am owner of Exogal Comet Plus thinking about MP as upgrade. How would you compare them? Is it night and day difference?

slingshot

« Reply #198 on: 10 Aug 2019, 09:03 pm »
Hi, I never heard of this Dac until 20 minutes ago when someone on Audiogon provided a link for it. I am trying to find out if Mod Wright is still doing the mods on this.

I have been looking at the Denafrips Terminator DAC and the Linear Audio Tube microZolt preamp. $10K all together. Anyway for the money, it looks like a great deal!

From what I read here the preamp section may be the weak point. I have an old Arcam AVR 300 with an excellent preamp section and a remote control which this DAC apparently lacks as I saw no reference to one. That is a must for me.  Also a lot of good information here about upgrading the tubes.

I have a First Watts SIT-3 amp and Super Alnico High Output Monitors which I think would go great with it.  :D

Are there tariffs on this now or will there be on September 1st? 
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2019, 12:16 am by slingshot »

xsb7244

« Reply #199 on: 6 Feb 2020, 12:24 am »
On NOV 10 2019 Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC was upgraded to MK3 Deluxe version.