CARVER USING THE NAME "CHERRY"???? SERIOUSLY?

Emil

Re: CARVER USING THE NAME "CHERRY"???? SERIOUSLY?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm »

If you cant force Bob Carver to change the name then forget it. I dont see discussing this with him would change things.
He can't change the name now.
Even if you could force him to change the name, I can only see this backfiring one you.

This reminds me when Bose trademarked "2.2" and made Thiel change the name of its speaker from 2.2 to 2 2.
I guess Mr Bose didnt want anyone to confuse his speakers with Thiels God forbid :)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm »
What about confusing a Ferrari with a Ford truck ?

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm »
What are you smokin'?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

TONEPUB

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:05 am »
Personally, I think high end audio is a small enough world that no one will confuse either one of you for the other....

Again, you'll solve a lot more by making a phone call than you will speculating on the internet.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:57 am »
Bob's a real good guy - I'm sure that he didn't mean to step on anybody's toes. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:17 pm »
The Cherry Amp from Digital Amplifier Co is a great amp too.

Thanks, and this is the reason for concern.  The Cherry has very high performance sprung from high technology, like nearly 120dB SNR, 0.003% THD+N, and up to 800Wpc.  Have you seen the specs of Carver's "Cherry" amp?  Yes, I know it's a tube amp, but to have the Cherry name associated with <potentially disparaging remark removed> is just <potentially disparaging remark removed>.

So you know, I still need to get through some recent posts on this thread, so if this point has already been addressed, I apologize.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2012, 03:01 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:30 pm »
The actual name/model of Carver's amp is the VTA-180M with the Cherry reference being the color.

roscoeiii

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:40 pm »
Think you will be fine with a "tube Cherry" and a "class D Cherry." I don't see too many people in the market for this level of amp getting confused. And perhaps a good thing that people mention that there are TWO great, but very different Cherry amps available.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:41 pm »
Personally, I think high end audio is a small enough world that no one will confuse either one of you for the other....

Again, you'll solve a lot more by making a phone call than you will speculating on the internet.
I wrote to them, and here's what I got back:

"I’m going to refer you to our company President, Bob Farinelli. However, our amplifier is named the VTA180M. The “Cherry” is the color."

Really?  As commented before the name of the product is "Cherry 180" as seen in the owners manual.

The saga continues....  I haven't heard from Bob Farinelli yet.  So you know, Carver (the company) did respond quickly.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:43 pm »
Thanks, and this is the reason for concern.  The Cherry has very high performance sprung from high technology, like nearly 120dB SNR, 0.003% THD+N, and up to 800Wpc.  Have you seen the specs of Carver's "Cherry" amp?  Yes, I know it's a tube amp, but to have the Cherry name associated with specs that amplifiers in the 1970s achieved is just sad to me.

So you know, I still need to get through some recent posts on this thread, so if this point has already been addressed, I apologize.  Thanks.

I don't think that making disparaging remarks about the competitors product (especially from a very well respected and established designer) is the way to approach this.

BTW, the specs look good:

http://www.bobcarver.com/vta180.asp

George

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2012, 01:59 pm »
I don't think that making disparaging remarks about the competitors product (especially from a very well respected and established designer) is the way to approach this.

OK, maybe that sounded a little harsh, but try to put yourself in my shoes for a minute.  You pour your heart and soul into your company, develop technology over many years of exhausting work, and build a brand from scratch to market your products.  THEN some bigger company uses your brand name as if you don't even exist.  It's more than just a name to me!

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:15 pm »
While I feel your pain, I gotta give a +1 to George's comment here.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:16 pm »
The actual name/model of Carver's amp is the VTA-180M with the Cherry reference being the color.
Bill,

Does it really look like that here?
http://www.tonepublications.com/blog/carver-cherry-amps-tubey-sexy/

Yes, I know that was written by TONEAudio, not Carver.  It does, however, affect the value of Cherry to Digital Amplifier Company ---- could it be in a positive way?

You know Bob Carver personally, right?  Did you talk to him about this?  Did you know he was coming out with an amp called Cherry (or with Cherry in the name)?  Sorry for all the questions.  I look forward to your response.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:28 pm »
George,

Addressing your comments:

1. "disparaging remarks" --- one remark, and nothing untrue

2. "private e-mail communications" --- wasn't specified as private

3. "don't think this in any way damages your brand" --- look up "brand name dilution"

4. "building, marketing, and supporting my products" --- we are

Thanks for your post, and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:34 pm »
what ever you do keep the lawyers out of it.....

Cherry amps is bordering genious name on a digital amp too. The cherry fruit/with cherry red face plate on a digital amp have a cohesive marketing allure with with one another. Its a good name.

I agree, and I agree!  Thanks.  :)

werd

« Reply #36 on: 20 Apr 2012, 02:50 pm »
What are you smokin'?

Ford and Ferrari have the same name vehicle in production. Or they did? Not sure how it turned out but it made the news a couple years ago.

It's was the f-150....  :lol:

mhconley

« Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:21 pm »
Ford and Ferrari have the same name vehicle in production. Or they did? Not sure how it turned out but it made the news a couple years ago.

It's was the f-150....  :lol:

Scuderia Ferrari initially named their 2011 Formula 1 car the Ferrari F150 in celebration of Enzo Ferrari's 150th birthday.  Ford announced their intention to sue over the name.  Ferrari subsequently changed the name to 150° Italia.  (150° is the Italian equivalent of 150th)

Martin

Charles Xavier

« Reply #38 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:22 pm »
I have been waiting for a thread like this since

Carver announced this amp. Tommy let the big guy worry about your name instead.

TONEPUB

« Reply #39 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:34 pm »
Bill,

Does it really look like that here?
http://www.tonepublications.com/blog/carver-cherry-amps-tubey-sexy/

Yes, I know that was written by TONEAudio, not Carver.  It does, however, affect the value of Cherry to Digital Amplifier Company ---- could it be in a positive way?

You know Bob Carver personally, right?  Did you talk to him about this?  Did you know he was coming out with an amp called Cherry (or with Cherry in the name)?  Sorry for all the questions.  I look forward to your response.

-Tommy O

Guess I had the same thought Bob did, just saw it as a color description.  I'm on the road until Sunday night and will make the appropriate change in our website.  Honestly, this was my mistake.  I don't think anyone was out to disparage either of you, didn't really think the word "cherry" described either of your products beyond the casework.  Sorry for the confusion.