Good music player for Windows?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Good music player for Windows?
« on: 7 May 2018, 05:52 pm »
My EE wants to know the name of a good music player program for DSD256 playback on a current Windows computer.

Also the name of a couple of rationally priced DACs that play DSD256 reasonably well.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Good music player for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2018, 05:58 pm »

JRiver

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2018, 10:10 pm »
Frank, I also use Jriver media center

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2018, 10:39 pm »
foobar is probably a little more work to setup for DSD, but it's free.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2018, 10:47 pm »
foobar is probably a little more work to setup for DSD, but it's free.

I was going to suggest that since it's free. Are you referring to this? http://foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dsdiff

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2018, 11:26 pm »

I was going to suggest that since it's free. Are you referring to this? http://foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dsdiff

Yeah, after you install foobar you would want to install this add on I think.
Its been a while, so I don't remember the exact add on's I installed for dsd, and maybe the ones I used to have to add are now included in foobar.

With foobar, you can always find guides and advice on how to get dsd going, so it won't be a problem.

Randy

maty

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2018, 10:58 am »
With foobar2000 you can need the SACD plugin: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

The best sound, in my system, is with: Direct 64fp, 30kHz lowpass

With +3dB or +6dB, 44100, 88200 or 176400... but always with Direct 64fp.

The sound, in my system, is better than JRiver MC 23 64 bits.

PCM has better sound with JRiver 64 bits. From JRMC 22 the sound is better than foobar2000.

An example, months before, in Diyaudio.com I could not overcome op-amp ABX test with foobar2000 but yes with JRiver. Why? I do not know. Both are bit-perfect but...

maty

« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2018, 11:24 am »
And ASIO, you know, is a very good idea -> Select the output DSD: ASIO: foo_dsd_asio.

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2018, 11:50 am »
J River, Roon, HQ Player.   I use all three BUT I use on a regular basis Roon with HQplayer.

mikeeastman

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2018, 02:54 pm »
 I've used Jriver, Roon, HQ player and Daphile.  Jriver SQ wasn't as good as the others and as a computer idiot was the hardest for me to use. Roon is so easy that even my wife plays me system on her own.

maty

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2018, 03:12 pm »
JRiver is not difficult to use.

And software needs to be configurated to have the best sound.

ASIO or ASIO4ALL (2.13 sounds better than 2.14 in my very optimized to play multimedia W10).

foobar2000, JRiver and others buffer lenght: 50ms.

ASIO4ALL must be optimized too the buffer size.

and...

By the way, I tried JRMC 24.0.23 and the last JRMC 23.0.104 has better sound in my system.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2018, 03:54 pm »
I've A/B'ed foobar and JRiver and I can't hear any difference. I can't recall the settings on them or how I got there.

maty

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2018, 04:12 pm »
JRMC with ASIO4ALL or own ASIO

Tools, Options, Audio, Audio Device, Device Settings: Buffering -> 50 mseconds (recommended)

foobar2000

File, Preferences, PlayBack, Output: Buffer lenght -> 50 ms

orientalexpress

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2018, 10:59 pm »
How to get foobar2000 to up dsd256 playback?

maty

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2018, 11:43 am »
I've used Jriver, Roon, HQ player and Daphile.  Jriver SQ wasn't as good as the others and as a computer idiot was the hardest for me to use. Roon is so easy that even my wife plays me system on her own.

I still have JRiver and used it for years. Still do to rip but Roon sounds great and is very user friendly.  I don't use HQplayer because my DAC does a great job of upsampling etc so all DSP is off, but it does not hurt to play and see if you can improve your experience.

maty

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2018, 12:00 pm »
foobar2000 and JRMC have diferent sound depending on how they are configured in my system. At least ASIO or ASIO4ALL in windows. 50ms and...

I think the vastly majority has them bandly configurated. With the O.S. to play multimedia the same.

Yesterday, in a soft players review, the author said that the foobar2000 has the worse sound. There was a picture where you can say the buffer length at 1000ms  :duh:  :duh:  :duh:

https://audiobacon.net/2018/05/10/enhance-your-pc-audio-easily-for-under-120/

[IMG] https://audiobacon.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/foobar-jplay.png

maty

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2018, 01:28 pm »
Imagine you want to make a review with two monitors. You only connect them and do not configure the correct resolution or you do not have installed the graphic drivers (and well configurated). Then you write an article about them. Very unprofessional.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2018, 07:26 pm »
JRMC with ASIO4ALL or own ASIO

Tools, Options, Audio, Audio Device, Device Settings: Buffering -> 50 mseconds (recommended)

foobar2000

File, Preferences, PlayBack, Output: Buffer lenght -> 50 ms

So why not 25, 10 or 5 ms?