6X9's

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
6X9's
« on: 27 Dec 2008, 03:14 pm »
I don't hear too many people talking about 6x9 speakers. Seems to me they would sound very good in the proper enclosure. They're readily available and inexpensive in single to multi-driver designs. Vintage units are available too.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: 6X9's
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2008, 03:33 pm »
I don't hear too many people talking about 6x9 speakers. Seems to me they would sound very good in the proper enclosure. They're readily available and inexpensive in single to multi-driver designs. Vintage units are available too.

Or no enclosure since car 6x9s usually have a high qts:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Speakers/6%27%27_x_9%27%27_Speakers/KFC-6950S

Lin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2008, 03:51 pm »
I have not SEEN many 6X9 designs, but have heard several folks talk about doing it. Mainly for OB if memory serves.
If you do a search here for "6X9", you might get several good hits (I just don't have the time right now to dig through and find them right now). The one that comes to mind is (long lost) member "JohninCR" talking about making some radical folded 'W' baffle with a bunch of automotive 6X9 drivers.

Hope that helps you Nightshade,
Bob

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:12 pm »
An open baffled design sounds great! If I go single driver, the 6x9 is the way I want to go.

Graham Maynard

• Class-A//AB
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:42 pm »
Hi Lin,

I had those. 

Decent fullrange, but not greatly sensitive and needs LF augmentation on an OB due to limited X.max of maybe 3mm.

HF good for a simple whizzer type too !

Cheers ...... Graham.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2008, 06:55 pm »
How would a 6x9 work with a large acoustic suspension cabinet?

stone deaf

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:41 pm »
If memory serves me right many of the 6X9s used in autos were hung from the rear package tray and used the whole trunk as a speaker cabinet. The radio amps were small watt so they should be fairly efficient. I'm also fairly certain that companies like JBL, Jensen, EV and later Infinity made 6X9s. Makes me want to try a pair in open baffle config.