RM9 Aftermarket Power Cords

rbwalt

Re: RM9 Aftermarket Power Cords
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2010, 11:22 pm »
paul i do not think there is any option to the 6bq7's. believe roger chose it due to its current handling abilities and opennes. yea roger thought i was nuts also when i mentioned power cord option to him.

rob.

rlw3

« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2010, 12:08 am »
i used a rm9 for 12 years;thought i would improve the sound by using a shunyata power cord hardwired in. Roger warned me that it wouldnt make a difference and he was correct, it did not. Maybe a different cord would have?? I hoped Roger would be wrong but as usual he was not.

rbwalt

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2010, 04:25 pm »
HI rlw3.on the subject of power cords it may be that the changes were so small you might not have noticed them. usually a change from a standard 14ga power cord to one that is decently designed will yield less background noise. there should also be less compression( read more dynamic sounding). also a lead free cord will make a difference also. here again smoother and quieter.

good luck!

rob.

ps. i had a mkII for 11 yrs before the RM9SE.

pubul57

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:36 am »
Hi Rob. It seems like we are moving in sync.  I too made the move the LA150MKII, and use the RSA power conditioner - we even have ended up with the same cables, JPS included. Hmmm.  One major change I made was the move from Accustic Arts transport and DAC, to the EMM CDSA-SE CD/SACD player. Good to hear from you again.

Paul.

P.S. Recommended the RM10 to a fella today, I think Roger's amps sound great with the Merlins :D

rbwalt

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:19 pm »
paul is it the SE version of the joule. how does the rm10 rate against the ars sonumn?

rob.

bmr3hc

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2010, 12:37 pm »
You know what's in order here is swapping out my JPS Power AC+ and going back to the stock cord on the RM200 MK II, and seeing what if anything happens.   this along with about another 10 experiments (all throughout my system) I've been curious with.  I can say that a complete set of JPS cables was $$ well spent, but I don't know about the amp differences individually. 

But in the end, it's all about my time listening and sometimes it's just a PITA to mess with swapping stuff around, unless I've got a helper.  Getting back to the music is where it's at for me.

happy listening,

Rob S.

Rob

Did you get a chance to do the AB comparison of the power cords?

Henry

pubul57

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2010, 08:21 pm »
Hi Rob. Yes, it is the SE version of the Joule; I sold the 150MKII when I bought the Atma-sphere pre, but decided I missed it so about the SE when it became available.  The RM9 and RM10 MKII are both faster and tighter than the Ars, which by comparison is more in the romatic, lush side of things - but in a good way of course; it is a very good integrated solution for running the Merlins (but I sold the Ars and stuck with MR RM9 and RM10).

rbwalt

power cords for music reference amps
« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2010, 06:01 pm »
the JPS Kaptovator power cord works very well with the rm9se and should work wonders on the standard rm9mk1 and 2. it is not cheap but it is a killer!!! highly recommended!

rob.