Need a new amp for Super Charged Song Towers ....

Gyosa

Need a new amp for Super Charged Song Towers ....
« on: 14 May 2019, 09:14 pm »
Hi everyone, new here ....

Purchased a mint pair of SCST’s from a guy in my neighborhood..
They are going in my den .
They are currently hooked up to an onkyo tX-rz610 AVR doing duty for 2 ch tv and music.
They sound fine but .......

I also have a Parasound A21 driving Polk SDA 1c’s in the bedroom - they need a lot of current.
Also a B&K ex-442 driving my patio / pool rig - 200 watts really lights up the patio !

I found a 1 year old Parasound A23 locally for $550...

The A21 won’t fit in my cabinet and I’ve had the B&K since new - and although it works great , had the offset and bias adjusted last year - I’m not sure I trust it with my Salks ...

So , does anyone have any experience with the A23 and SCST’s ?
I typically listen at low to moderate volume - have a wife 😊....
But like to crank it when she’s not around 😊

Love the Salks , btw .... unbelievable speakers !!

Thanks in advance !

bk

Saturn94

Re: Need a new amp for Super Charged Song Towers ....
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2019, 11:23 pm »
While not exactly the same, I drove a pair of HT2-TLs with a Parasound Classic 5250 (250wpc) with no problems, even at very loud levels.

Gyosa

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2019, 03:30 am »
I guess I know the A23 will drive them since the onkyo does....
Was curious to know if it'll drive them well ....
If it has enough "oomph".... the A23 is a completely different animal than the A21...
I have no doubt the A21 would be stellar , but it's not an option due to its large size .

Bk

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2019, 11:03 pm »
When I originally auditioned the HT2-TLs, it was in a larger room than mine and with a ~100 wpc amp.  There was NO lack of oomph!

I think the A23 would be fine with the SCSTs.  :thumb:

PS - I just checked.....the sensitivity rating is the same for the SCST and HT2-TL.

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2019, 03:11 am »
I’m currently using the A23 with the Salk Veracity STs. Great sound, lots of punch, gets plenty loud cleanly.

Gyosa

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2019, 02:01 pm »

Thanks !
That’s what I was looking for !

Bk

I’m currently using the A23 with the Salk Veracity STs. Great sound, lots of punch, gets plenty loud cleanly.

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2019, 03:01 pm »
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/sst/5.html

Jump to the last page for a quick summary. A great amp, indeed.

Empoweryou

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2019, 11:42 am »
I think the A23 would be just fine. I have a pair of SC songtowers. I drove them with the Yamaha A-S801(rated at 100wpc)(less power then the A23) and now the Parasound A21. There's more bass with the A21 and I do think it's a much better match than the 801. Too bad you don't have enough room for it, but the A23 would be a decent compromise.

Gyosa

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2019, 07:21 pm »
Thanks ,
All good info from everyone ....I’ll see if I can snag it ....

Bk

I think the A23 would be just fine. I have a pair of SC songtowers. I drove them with the Yamaha A-S801(rated at 100wpc)(less power then the A23) and now the Parasound A21. There's more bass with the A21 and I do think it's a much better match than the 801. Too bad you don't have enough room for it, but the A23 would be a decent compromise.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2019, 11:51 pm »
I still offer mods for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.  These would be great, but you should also consider Merrill Audio switchers or Wells Audio amps.

Gyosa

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2019, 04:03 am »

JC-1’s ?
I wish ..... 😊

Bk

I still offer mods for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.  These would be great, but you should also consider Merrill Audio switchers or Wells Audio amps.

MichiganMike

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2019, 07:11 pm »
I am driving a pair of the original SongTowers with a Parasound A23 amp.  The Parasound A23 offers ample power for the 88 dB sensitivity SongTowers in my application.  I would expect a similar result with the SC SongTower, which has the same sensitivity.

Gyosa

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2019, 03:20 am »
Update ......
Ended up getting a new PS Audio Stellar S300 a month ago  .....
Was initially skeptical of it being class D , but thought I’d give it a shot based on all the positive reviews I’ve read , and it putting out 300 watts into 4 ohms and 2 ohm stable .....

All I can say is WOW !

Compares very favorably to my Parasound A21 as well as the B&K EX-442  ....
I have no complaints at all ...
As a matter of fact , I would buy another one if I ever needed a new amp ....

Bk

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2019, 04:10 am »
I bet the PSA 300's are smoother with less grain.  I own an A21 and Pass X250.  The A21 is a good amp but it does have some grain compared to better amps.  It does not hold a candle compared to my Pass.  The AVA HiFi amps that I have reviewed also sound way better than the Parasounds. The new version A21+ sound better than the A21.  Less grain, more musical and detailed.  I heard one 3 weeks ago.

Enjoy the PSA's.  A friend of mine just bought the PSA 700 monoblocks and loves them.

Gyosa

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2019, 01:29 pm »
The AVA SET400 is ultimately what I’d really like to have had ...
The price differential and lack of a 12v trigger is what led me to the S300 ....

Now , if I could have found a used one , it would have been a different story ....

Bk