Maraschino W/Preamp. W/Magnepans

Ragnar71

Maraschino W/Preamp. W/Magnepans
« on: 21 Jan 2020, 01:10 pm »
Has anyone in her used a cherry amp with a Van Alstine Fet Valve Ore amp or the SET Pre Amp? Have you used a cherry with a tube pre amp?  Would appreciate any results or opinions...

Now has anyone used a Cherry with Magnepans?  Wondering how that works out too

kedoades

Re: Maraschino W/Preamp. W/Magnepans
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2020, 02:38 pm »
I use a musica bella tube preamp with my cherry plus and it makes for a smooth powerful combo. 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2020, 03:53 pm »
Hey Kedoades, Happy to hear the Musica Bella is still part of you're musical enjoyment.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:18 pm »
I'm using a Belles 22a (which they describe as:  a tube/mosfet hybrid preamp using two 12au7 tubes, constant current bias with an isolated power supply)...so, I'm pretty sure that the tubes are on the input side of the preamp...similar to a Rogue Audio RP1).  The Belles is connected to a 2Cherry amplifier which feeds Salk Veracity Sts.  The Belles was a big step up sonically from my prior solid state preamp.

Yet, as good as my system was...it wasn't until I replaced my amp with a 2Cherry that I realized just how good the sound could be (open, clear, dynamic, musical, live....etc.)

Here is a review that references using Cherry amps with Maggies.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0418/Digital_Amplifier_Company_MEGAschino_Stereo_Amplifier_Review.htm

I'm pretty sure that Tommy O'brien uses Maggies (and probably a few other speakers as well) to develop and voice his amplifiers...so feel free to send him an email. 

seikosha

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2020, 05:48 pm »

Now has anyone used a Cherry with Magnepans?  Wondering how that works out too

I know there's a user here who used the standard Cherry with Maggie LRS's but he found that there wasn't enough power with the 48V power supply.  He said the amp shuts down when he turns it up.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2020, 08:42 pm »
Our primary demo system uses Magnepan 1.7i....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2020, 12:50 pm »
I know there's a user here who used the standard Cherry with Maggie LRS's but he found that there wasn't enough power with the 48V power supply.  He said the amp shuts down when he turns it up.
Can you provide a link to that post?  I might know who you're talking about, and he has a Stereo Maraschino (STM).

Mags require serious power (even the small ones), and the 48V STM can drive them, but not to rock concert levels.  The 48V STM is limited to 125Wpc (into 8Ω or 4Ω).

For rock concert levels, you'll need the 60V 1kW power supply. Since the power supply is external to the STM, it's an easy swap to upgrade. 

With the 60V 1kW power supply, maximum output goes to 400Wpc into 4Ω (200Wpc into 8Ω) !!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:07 pm »
Can you provide a link to that post?  I might know who you're talking about, and he has a Stereo Maraschino (STM).

Mags require serious power (even the small ones), and the 48V STM can drive them, but not to rock concert levels.  The 48V STM is limited to 125Wpc (into 8Ω or 4Ω).

For rock concert levels, you'll need the 60V 1kW power supply. Since the power supply is external to the STM, it's an easy swap to upgrade. 

With the 60V 1kW power supply, maximum output goes to 400Wpc into 4Ω (200Wpc into 8Ω) !!

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:49 pm »

Check your PM

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:44 pm »
Check your PM
Got it.  Thanks!

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2020, 06:27 pm »

Yes, that user be me!  :D

I run a pair of the new Maggie LRS's. And they are VERY demanding speakers. All three amps I have used on them, I have driven them into protection mode. Now, I know I have heard some say that at modest levels their amps do just fine and then when pushed they are going into protection mode. Another user on Audiokarma has I think an Aegir or Vidar, and has the same issue. Which he is fine with. I don't really understand how you can be fine with an amp going into protection mode while you are listening to music but to each his own. The Maggie's need juice, and I am sure even more power at moderate listening levels sounds better too, amp not working as hard and so on. I can tell you this though. The Cherry STM is the best amp I have ever owned. I had it hooked up to some ZU Audio Dirty Weekends and it sounded spectacular and had no issues at all driving those. And hooked up to my Maggie's at moderate listening levels, the music I am hearing  from the STM paired with the LRS's is nothing short of a jaw dropping experience. It's truly amazing. But yes, I am upgrading to the 60v power supply. And people might think that I am rocking out to NIN at 100+ db's. Not the case, I have it go into protection mode on Phil Collins, "I Don't Care Anymore", which is a great demo song to play on your system. So for the demanding Maggie LRS's, anyone looking at the STM, I would suggest it without any hesitation! It's a very special amp. But I would also suggest the 60v power supply. Unless you have the Maggie's in a small room and play your music at lower to moderate levels or just playing vocals or acoustic or something like that. However you like to turn up the volume and play a wide variety of music with big peaks of dynamics and so on, 60v is the only way to go. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2020, 08:47 pm »
I wonder if mono blocks with twin power supplies would have more oomph than a single STM?

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2020, 09:58 pm »
I wonder if mono blocks with twin power supplies would have more oomph than a single STM?

I would think so. But we'll let the expert answer that question. Tommy?
I know he's super busy right now, especially with Axpona coming up soon.

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2020, 10:54 pm »

You know exactly who he is talking about. LOL.  :D

Not a lot of LRS owners with Cherry STM's. 

I would say for "MOST" of my listening, the 48v power supply is just fine. Say about 80% or so. But it's that extra 20% that I need the 60v power supply for. I am VERY curious to see the difference between the 48 and 60v supplies. It's kind of like owning a sports car, 80% of your driving is under control and within the law and speed limits, it's just nice to have that extra power on tap when you want to cut lose and have some illegal fun! I am an excess type of guy and want the same out of my audio gear. If I want concert levels, well then I want an amp and speakers that can do that. The Maggie's can and will do that despite people saying they are not that kind of speaker. And I wouldn't even say "rock" concert levels, I would say just concert level audio, I've been to a lot of concerts that are loud and dynamic that are not rock concerts. :)

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2020, 11:07 pm »
Has anyone in her used a cherry amp with a Van Alstine Fet Valve Ore amp or the SET Pre Amp? Have you used a cherry with a tube pre amp?  Would appreciate any results or opinions...

Now has anyone used a Cherry with Magnepan's?  Wondering how that works out too

So the simple answer to your question about Magnepan's and Cherries. YES!!!!!!

How does that work out? It's the BEST music I have ever heard in my home. Period. It's magical. It's truly magical. The word audio illusion comes to mind. Notes and music literally come from thin air and then disappear. I don't get that with any other speaker I own.

The Maggie's have really settled in after a long burn in time.  I think I have them, a long with my seating position, set up right. After a lot of patience and fiddling, I think I got it right. Heck I know in a better room more off the back and side walls they would sound even better, but in this room, I am pretty happy. And for $650, there is NOTHING out there that will touch this level of performance. Mate them with a great amp like the STM and you'll have a high end system for a low end system price.     

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:53 am »
Absolutely, and we have two demo sets available now.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for details.  Thanks.

AvsFan

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:04 am »
Absolutely, and we have two demo sets available now.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for details.  Thanks.

How do they sound compared to the STM?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2020, 10:15 am »
How do they sound compared to the STM?
More power and lower distortion give you a more dynamic presentation, plus perfect separation with monoblocks.  You can also place the amps close to the speakers for shorter speaker cables -- always recommended.  That's why we made the In-Line Maraschino (photo).