Crossover DIY Help Please

Kurtamus

Crossover DIY Help Please
« on: 13 Jan 2021, 12:53 am »
 Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but the speaker kit was C&C... 

Hello,

I am building my first crossover as part of the Parts Express Passive Aggressive speaker kit. I have a couple of questions if I may (sorry if they are dumb questions):

1) Am I correct that the the yellow highlighted wire bends in the diagram denote that the wire is just passing another wire there and that they are NOT to be connected?

2) Should I hot glue the components down to the board before soldering the component leads and wiring?

3) Is it okay if the components touch each other? Not the leads (obviously), I have sheaths to cover those, but if the components end up touching is this okay? The crossover board is only 2.75" x 2.75", these are desktop speakers.

Thank you for your help and guidance!

mzbrahce

Re: Crossover DIY Help Please
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2021, 01:09 am »
Kurtamus--

1) You are correct--the bend denotes wires passing over with no connection.
2) Hot glue should work well to hold the components in place using such a small mounting board.
3) There is no problem having the "bodies" of the components touching.
Good luck with your build!

---------------Mark

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:33 am »
I have found that hot glue sometimes fails with heavier xover components like the inductors (coils)... particularly if you sell the speakers and ship them.  Getting bounced around and dropped puts some sizable strains on crossover components, even if the speakers are very well packed.  I have been wire tying them down and that hasn't let me down yet.  Just my 2 cents.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2021, 04:34 pm »
Sorry if too late with this reply.  DO NOT let components touch.  Tie wraps work well to secure components.  Hot glue is OK, but use sparingly.  Clear silicone will hold small capacitors in place.  Do not use silicone to hold sand cast resistors or inductors standing up.  If you have the space a larger layout would be better.

Sand cast resistors are the lowest level quality and least stable resistor.  A good quality film resistor replacement is not that expensive.  Does not have to be "audiophile" grade.  I have personally seen 3 Watt rated sand cast resistor smoke under only 1 Watt signal.  Also several discolor in spots indicating localized overheating. 

Never ceases to amaze why such a wide use of sand cast resistors.  They are junk.  I know, I know, I know the objectivists run their little tests and declare "parts is parts" make no difference in sound quality.  But, hey - your call on what makes you happy. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2021, 04:46 pm »
I agree that inductors should be zip tied as well as glued.  Also, connect everything and try it out before gluing it down-easier to correct if you make a mistake.