NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear
« Reply #60 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:29 am »
Yeah i noticed that as well & its seemed odd to me that the polarities would be reversed in that manner, and im not sure if its due to the nature of the driver itself, or because its placed in a waveguide more closely aligned with the voice coil rather than the baffle?
Danny would have to explain the reasons for that.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 2 Aug 2020, 01:44 pm »
Looking at my BG neo 3, I think their terminals are backwards compared to most drivers. So maybe that's why?

GregoryCollins

• Always learning...
« Reply #62 on: 6 Aug 2020, 07:36 pm »
Very impressive.

It looks like you glued and screwed them, correct?

I am building a pair of X-LS speakers and am also not a woodworker. I was lookinging at using clamps or possible masking tape, but had not thought of using screws. What did you hide the screws with?

Thanks

JonathanWalton7

« Reply #63 on: 9 Aug 2020, 04:54 am »
This is a beautiful build so far.  Can't wait to see it all come together.  These speakers are primarily why I've joined the forum.  Everyone's input and their step by step builds like yours are pure gold to me.  I also plan on building a diy 2-channel amp to power these beauties.  But that will be later.  For now, I can retrace you're hard work and learn a bit more before placing my own order.  Just curious, How many hours of work have these speakers taken so far?

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 11 Aug 2020, 10:54 pm »
The tweeter has a polarity flip in this design. But acoustically they are in phase. 

daveshear

« Reply #65 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:34 pm »
Very impressive.

It looks like you glued and screwed them, correct?

I am building a pair of X-LS speakers and am also not a woodworker. I was lookinging at using clamps or possible masking tape, but had not thought of using screws. What did you hide the screws with?

Thanks

Hey Greg, Thanks so much. Yes, just Glued and Screwed. It is imperative though that you do at least three sanding and filling of the holes with wood filler. I would do 4 if possible just to make sure nothing shows through the paint. I did have one hole that I could tell was there through the paint. Thanks again!

daveshear

« Reply #66 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:35 pm »
This is a beautiful build so far.  Can't wait to see it all come together.  These speakers are primarily why I've joined the forum.  Everyone's input and their step by step builds like yours are pure gold to me.  I also plan on building a diy 2-channel amp to power these beauties.  But that will be later.  For now, I can retrace you're hard work and learn a bit more before placing my own order.  Just curious, How many hours of work have these speakers taken so far?

Unfortunately I did not record how much time it took. I worked on them every once in a while over about 3 weeks. I think the crossovers took the most time because I had to rework somethings.

daveshear

« Reply #67 on: 12 Aug 2020, 05:40 pm »
*********** CROSSOVER PLATE WIDTH **********

FYI: One of the mistakes I made was cutting the crossover plates too wide. They were perfect and fit through the woofer opening. Unfortunately once I got the No-Rez in, that narrowed the area where the crossover plate could fit into. I would highly recommend putting the No Rez in and see the width you can work with so you can get the crossovers in properly.

I had to take everything off the boards and re-cut them thinner. Luckily I was able to salvage the boards. Just a little more thought ahead of time would of prevented this.

nadirmg

« Reply #68 on: 16 Jan 2022, 06:15 pm »
I did have them painted by a Car Paint company in a "Pearl White"

I would love to know more about how you went about this process. Did you have to prime them yourself and then have them painted by the car shop? How did you select which color? Did you pick from the color options they had or did you bring your own paint?

I love this color.

Digi-G

« Reply #69 on: 21 Jan 2022, 05:32 pm »
I assume the build is done (considering how old this thread is) but I never saw any listening impressions.  Maybe they are in another thread somewhere?