Warm single ended amp thouhts

Lee_in_Canada

Warm single ended amp thouhts
« on: 25 Jun 2015, 12:28 am »
Hi everyone,

I would like to ask the circle on recommendations for warm single ended amps. My speakers are alnico 6 monitors and I have a decware CSP2+ for pre
A crown xls 1500 and and cheaper Chinese vuum 6L6 set similar to the dared but not the 2a3. 

I've been listening to the crown for a couple of months and just replugged in the Vuum amp. 

I think my tastes lean towards warm and euphonic.  I am not after detail as the final word but toe tapping juice and rhythm.  I think warm towards dark seems to be my tastes.

I had been leaning towards the 2watt decware but think it may be a little too revealing for my tastes. 

With the above any suggestions for a warm set?Or would a higher quality push pull do the trick for warmth.

Kind regards Lee

seikosha

Re: Warm single ended amp thouhts
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2015, 12:36 am »
The Decware Mini Torii is a very warm amp.  I've got the Zen as well and the Mini Torii is very warm compared to the SE 84

Lee_in_Canada

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2015, 01:04 am »
Thanks Seokosha,

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with the decware brand.  I appreciate the response.  Thanks!

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:15 am »
2a3 or 300B SET.  The 300Bs I've heard have been a little darker than the 2a3s, but they also have more power.

If you're looking for a specific manufacturer/model recommendation, help us out with appx budget.

Lee_in_Canada

Re: Warm single ended amp thoughts
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:05 am »
Thanks Guys,

Long winded response apologies in advance.

My budget is up to $3-4K for an amp. Right now the system sounds pretty darn good and I have the patience to save so if required could be more.  I live in a somewhat remote area and my only opportunity to learn is through buying.   So I try to be as well informed as possible.   I am still newish to tubes and only really know the one tube amp which I picked up used on the cheap.  And of course my preamp which I really like.

Do circuit designs produce a house sound.  Similar to the earlier posters question relating to tubes giving a specific sound.  Once you find a design that suits your tastes your off to the races.  Like the 300B

Over the years I've had a number of different solid state but seem to always drift away from them after a time.  I understand that Omega as with most fullrangers are at their most "Magic" with SET's.   Vocals and acoustic instruments are my most listened genres.  And that holds true even with my cheaper set. 

It seems to me there are 4 broad categories in tube amps.

1.  There are the brand name big boys like Macintosh, Audio note, BAT and the list goes on.  A lot of the big names are high quality, well implemented and mature higher power push pull type designs.  Maybe not need for high efficiency omegas?

2. There is vintage classics like rebuilt dynaco st70 which surprisingly never gets mentioned in relation to the omega's.  Perhaps a bit underperforming for omega's

3. There's lots of Chi Fi which seems hit and miss and a mash up of everything.  Although Line Magnetic looks pretty badass albeit expensive.

4. Boutique low watt amps examples like

http://idealinnovations.biz/ in Canada but there is simply no information on them beyond their website They appear to be a very well implemented classic design.  Perhaps on par with macintosh.
There are home designers like this amp currently for sale which looks fantastic but one has to wonder about sound.  http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649141239-le-barbare/ .
Finale
Decware seems like the safest bet and is also available through Rob. 

Best amps low watts, euphonic and warm.

Decware mini tori sounds good. 
I'll do more research on 300B
Thanks for the recommendations.

steve f

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:21 am »
Lee,

If you can solder and assemble kits check out Transcendent Sound. They are OTL amps, having wider bandwidth and lower distortion than typical SET amps. If you are a tube roller, then disregard as the output tubes can't be switched. They are accurate, not syrupy typical SET. Totally non fatiguing.

If you go Decware, the SE 84 series are their best sounding amps.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:29 am »
I don't think you can go wrong with the Decware route, particularly if you're looking for that thing only tubes (especially SETs) seem to be able to consistently do.

If you're wanting something more accurate / less euphonic, but still fantastically natural, detailed, dimensional and fleshy you might consider a First Watt amp.

The choice between the two, other than power considerations, could come down to if you consider yourself more of a set-it-and-forget-it type or more of a tinkerer. Either way, you'd be very hard pressed to do better or find something completely more enjoyable all around.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:52 am »
Check out the Bottlehead amps (2A3 and 300b)...they are amazingly well designed amps. 

John

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:04 am »
Check out the Bottlehead amps (2A3 and 300b)...they are amazingly well designed amps. 

John
x2, I love my Stereomour.  Hi John :wave:

InfernoSTi

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:46 am »
Hi Ed, how are you?  I hope you are still finding great music from your system...I have no doubt you are!  :thumb:

John

jorgen

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2015, 10:22 am »
I cant bring to much to the the table in terms of comparison between different tube amps, I use a mini tori which in my ears sound very very good with the 7"alnico from Omega. From what I have read at Decware the Zen is a wonderful amp, and people love it with Omega. One advantage with MT can be the huge possibilities in terms of tuberolling.I don't think the Zen users like going to far away from Deckerts initial "settings". Tuberolling with this amp (MT) is affordable and interesting, I find this amp to be sensitive, which to me means that a different brand or age of a 12au7 makes a big difference. And all the different output tubes available means you can get pretty the sound you want. And then you the other tubes as well...
Later this year they will launch a bigger SET mono block amp, it will be pretty expensive and I guess will need a pre (yours are very good) and maybe priced around 5k. I have tried to not wait for these new monos, and get a Zen Select, advised by many here,  for my second (or rather next, as I don't want anyone to think it will be any less good than my other setup) system. But the monitors will go to Norway in September and I want a good amp ASAP. Final goal will be to be able to switch amps and speakers and source room around every now and then

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2015, 11:18 am »
A Canadian amp option would be Mapletree near Kingston.  The good Dr there builds some excellent amps.

When I was using higher efficiency speakers I was very happy with a Magnavox console pull with some good EL84's. 

rebbi

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2015, 12:52 pm »
Hello, Lee,
I cannot speak to "warm vs. lean" but I'd suggest you look into another Canadian company  :icon_lol:!
Audio Note Kits out of Ottawa has some marvelous sounding and beautiful amps in that price range. I built an Audio Note Kits Kit 1 and it's terrific! I blogged the build here - feel free to check it out. I've just started tube rolling and have found it very worthwhile, too. You can also purchase some of their kits prebuilt and Digital Pete (Fulton), the guy who does their prebuilt units is an artisan who does gorgeous work.
Heck, in your price range, you could get (for example) the 10th Anniversary Kit 1 tricked out with Audio Note C-Core output trannies and Mundorf caps! Yowza.
Brian Smith, the owner is a totally stand up guy who stands behind his products, too.
I am not shilling for ANK, just a very happy customer.
By the way, I don't (yet) have Omega's but I'm almost there and I've been corresponding with another Kit 1 owner who is running his Omega Outlaws with built-in subs and is very happy.

Nocturne79

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2015, 01:16 pm »
Hey there I use a torii MKIV with csp3 preamp and I have found I really enjoy it,  with tube rolling have been able to tailor the sound to a little warmer sounding.  I used to own the mini torii, the last version,  and when I had them both i found the mini torii to be warmer sounding than the Torii MKIV.  I was able to also tailor the sound of the mini torii with tubes too.  The mini torii is a very cool amp. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:18 pm »
Source can have a big effect on the the overall sound.  Some DACs are warmer than others, the same with CD players and vinyl front ends.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2015, 02:47 pm »
I would suggest the Decware 34SE, with 6W and a sole EL34 tube, you can choose the 6N1P or 6N2P input tube.
The EL34 tube is know as a very musical(warm) tube which turns bad recorded CDs in good ones.
And its not expensive as the 300B.

Lee_in_Canada

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:38 pm »
Thank you everyone,

I will be exploring each of your suggestions and really appreciate the input. 

Many thanks Lee

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:49 pm »
I would suggest the Decware 34SE, with 6W and a sole EL34 tube, you can choose the 6N1P or 6N2P input tube.
The EL34 tube is know as a very musical(warm) tube which turns bad recorded CDs in good ones.
And its not expensive as the 300B.
Ditto.  When I ran the Electro Harmonix narrow bottle EL34 in a SET it was the quite warm and euphonic giving a more diffused, but ethereal and deep soundstage.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:05 pm »
With a 3-4k budget I'd consider the Arte Forma 805 monoblocks, which use an EL34 to drive the 805s. Or if you don't need the power the 805 offers I think an EL34 or 300b based SET would be a good choice as well. My friend has a set of Fi 2a3 monos and they are some of the most detailed and revealing tube amps I've ever heard...

I also have the XLS 1500 and a DIY EL34 SET, it would be great if I could simply flip a switch to change between them sometimes... :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:22 pm »
Lee,
What are you running for a DAC now?

Also, Bottlehead has improved their Stereomour 2A3 amp and if you don't like building, they can provide or guide you to that service.  The Stereomour has a stellar reputation.  If you had it built it would be right around $2000 CAD.