Line Conditioners?

DecibleDude

Re: Line Conditioners?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2024, 10:48 pm »
I'd like to thank all of you for your answers, but it would still be nice if one of the AVA people would give me a definitive answer as to whether there is any possible harm done to my amp by using this Furman M-8x. Unfortunately, on some YouTube video's and comments there are people that claim guys like Nelson Pass say never use a line conditioner on amps. All sorts of claims are made and so for an electronic illiterate like myself the only ones I can feel confident would be correct are the people who build the amp. Nonetheless, thank you everyone because what most of you have been saying makes sense to me.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2024, 01:14 am »
Many years ago (before I was associated with AVA) when I purchased my first AVA amplifier Frank told me to plug it directly into the AC socket.  I asked about power strips with surge protection and he told me that as long as the power strip can handle the current it would be fine, but again didn't think it was needed.

We have tried our amps with a power conditioner and didn't notice a difference in sound.  AVA products use a traditional linear (transformer) power supply that is pretty robust and designed to handle real world situations.

We do sell a device, the Humdinger, to block DC that sometimes in on the AC mains.  Having DC on the AC mains causes a mechanical transformer hum, and when the DC is removed the transformer hum is reduced or eliminated.  Normally the mechanical hum isn't fed through to the audio circuit since it's a mechanical noise rather than an electrical noise.  The Humdinger is a DC blocker and not a full blown power conditioner.

It's unlikely that a power conditioner will do any harm.  It's possible there may be a slight change in sound, but it's not something I have heard.

If your concern is power surges and lightning strikes I recommend simply unplugging items you are concerned about when a thunder storm is near.  I have a variety of radio equipment and during the storms I always disconnect my radios just in case :)

Larry

DecibleDude

« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2024, 12:13 pm »
Many years ago (before I was associated with AVA) when I purchased my first AVA amplifier Frank told me to plug it directly into the AC socket.  I asked about power strips with surge protection and he told me that as long as the power strip can handle the current it would be fine, but again didn't think it was needed.

We have tried our amps with a power conditioner and didn't notice a difference in sound.  AVA products use a traditional linear (transformer) power supply that is pretty robust and designed to handle real world situations.

We do sell a device, the Humdinger, to block DC that sometimes in on the AC mains.  Having DC on the AC mains causes a mechanical transformer hum, and when the DC is removed the transformer hum is reduced or eliminated.  Normally the mechanical hum isn't fed through to the audio circuit since it's a mechanical noise rather than an electrical noise.  The Humdinger is a DC blocker and not a full blown power conditioner.

It's unlikely that a power conditioner will do any harm.  It's possible there may be a slight change in sound, but it's not something I have heard.

If your concern is power surges and lightning strikes I recommend simply unplugging items you are concerned about when a thunder storm is near.  I have a variety of radio equipment and during the storms I always disconnect my radios just in case :)

Larry                    Thank you Larry, much appreciated.