MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: MQA Update - From Soundstage Magazine
« Reply #60 on: 17 Nov 2018, 08:18 pm »
The key design center of MQA was to solve that very problem - authenticating the mastering/recording chain, all the way through to delivery to your DAC.

An admirable goal, but they (MQA "designers") haven't accomplished it. Has anybody?

witchdoctor

« Reply #61 on: 17 Nov 2018, 11:20 pm »
An admirable goal, but they (MQA "designers") haven't accomplished it. Has anybody?

nugs.net has, check out this Bob Weir concert from a few days ago, hit the drop down menu under BUY to select your format and compare:

http://nugs.net/browse/music/20392/Bob-Weir-and-Wolf-Bros-mp3-flac-download-11-15-2018-Boch-Center-Wang-Theatre-Boston-MA

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2018, 02:18 am »
^ I don't have any MQA-compatible gear.   :nono:

witchdoctor

« Reply #63 on: 18 Nov 2018, 02:23 pm »
^ I don't have any MQA-compatible gear.   :nono:

I'm not suggesting you buy any. I am suggesting you hold off on making opinions on any format until you have actually had time to review it in your own system.  :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2018, 03:03 pm »
I'm not suggesting you buy any. I am suggesting you hold off on making opinions on any format until you have actually had time to review it in your own system.  :duh:

I'm mostly against the ethical b.s. that has been committed by the "designers" of MQA: their misrep of the facts, etc. As documented in links from earlier posts of this thread.

But yeah...I will refrain from posting impressions of MQA SQ.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #65 on: 19 Nov 2018, 10:13 am »
Bad mastering is orthogonal to the delivery format. With a well-mastered album, I am sure you could distinguish an MP3/320 from a Redbook equivalent, or even a high-res release encoded with MQA. :roll:

And, I'm also sure you know all about the mastering/recording/delivery chain for everything in your collection, right?

I suspect that you don't see the irony of your statement. The key design center of MQA was to solve that very problem - authenticating the mastering/recording chain, all the way through to delivery to your DAC.

Checkmate  :lol:
Nope, You didn´t understand. As expected.

witchdoctor

« Reply #66 on: 20 Nov 2018, 12:48 am »
You don't have to stream to get MQA. Look at this new release from Chicago, you can buy the "hirez" or MQA, whatever floats your boat. The drum solo on track #9, I'm a Man is a GREAT MQA demo IMO:

https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/artist/chicago/release/greatest-hits-live-8564180

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2018, 03:59 am by witchdoctor »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #67 on: 20 Nov 2018, 01:21 am »
*sigh* time to slumber.....  :sleep:

RandyH

« Reply #68 on: 20 Nov 2018, 12:23 pm »
"But yeah...I will refrain from posting impressions of MQA SQ."

Agree.  After all, this is an AUDIO forum.  Why would anyone want to share their impressions of SOUND QUALITY on an AUDIO forum?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #69 on: 20 Nov 2018, 12:51 pm »
"But yeah...I will refrain from posting impressions of MQA SQ."

Agree.  After all, this is an AUDIO forum.  Why would anyone want to share their impressions of SOUND QUALITY on an AUDIO forum?
Nooooo... Please don't encourage him... :cry:

Samoyed

« Reply #70 on: 20 Nov 2018, 01:46 pm »
Can someone please explain to an old dude why most DACs provide mqa via usb, only?  Thanks

witchdoctor

« Reply #71 on: 20 Nov 2018, 06:34 pm »
Can someone please explain to an old dude why most DACs provide mqa via usb, only?  Thanks

Check out the iFi circle, I think they have several that offer connections other than USB. The Modwright circle is working on a new one offered by Pro-Ject too.

Samoyed

« Reply #72 on: 20 Nov 2018, 07:03 pm »
Thanks, but what am I missing?  Why do the majority use USB?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #73 on: 20 Nov 2018, 07:09 pm »
Typically coax and optical cables are not rated to carry more than 24/192.

That is why you see DSD/DXD done mostly over either USB or Ethernet. There are a few DAC manufacturers that support dual coax (typically AES) that do support DSDx2 and DXD over coax and I believe Aurender makes a server that support dual AES out. But it is rare and expensive to find this.

There are some USB converters that will convert a USB input to a variety of outputs, including i2S, which can also handle DSD using an HDMI cable.

Samoyed

« Reply #74 on: 20 Nov 2018, 07:20 pm »
Thanks!

Rupret

« Reply #75 on: 20 Nov 2018, 11:25 pm »
You don't have to stream to get MQA. Look at this new release from Chicago, you can buy the "hirez" or MQA, whatever floats your boat. The drum solo on track #9, I'm a Man is a GREAT MQA demo IMO:

Or with Tidal streaming you can come home from work, see Witchdoctor’s post, and then you’re sitting in your chair with the glass doors to the pool open listening to Chicago along with the neighbors. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #76 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:23 am »
Or with Tidal streaming you can come home from work, see Witchdoctor’s post, and then you’re sitting in your chair with the glass doors to the pool open listening to Chicago along with the neighbors. 

Love the pic :) What did you think of the drum solo? It's a 9 minute song, much longer than the album version.

geowak

« Reply #77 on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:34 pm »
Witchdoctor

I thought one of the points to MQA is the folding and unfolding of the file so that it can be streamed?? I know that wireless bandwidth will increase and this folding will not be necessary in the near future for most of us, but I don’t care to download music, or even buy music. I can be content with renting music by a streaming service, and maybe buying an album or cd after I have listened to many, many older familiar artists or new artists emerging daily on streaming sites.
No flames here, just not sure I get all the kickback on MQA. Albums are ok, cds are ok and so are new formats, I don’t see MQA lasting if the bandwidth really opens up..

witchdoctor

« Reply #78 on: 21 Nov 2018, 02:56 pm »
Witchdoctor

I thought one of the points to MQA is the folding and unfolding of the file so that it can be streamed?? I know that wireless bandwidth will increase and this folding will not be necessary in the near future for most of us, but I don’t care to download music, or even buy music. I can be content with renting music by a streaming service, and maybe buying an album or cd after I have listened to many, many older familiar artists or new artists emerging daily on streaming sites.
No flames here, just not sure I get all the kickback on MQA. Albums are ok, cds are ok and so are new formats, I don’t see MQA lasting if the bandwidth really opens up..

I like the convenience of streaming, every week I open up the "New MQA Additions" Masters playlist and see them constantly dropping new albums. Some members here prefer to download so I was just letting them know you can do both.

Samoyed

« Reply #79 on: 21 Nov 2018, 03:39 pm »
So, if one bought an mqa album, would one play it by storing it on a usb stick plugged into the DAC USB port?  Sorry, I’m new to all this....