Chris' New SilkTower design

Big Red Machine

Re: Chris' New SilkTower design
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:23 pm »
Call him direct and have a more efficient conversation.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:48 pm »
Hello, Red.

Thank you for the encouragement.  :D Under normal circumstances I would call, but I am overseas at the moment. I just sent Jim an email explaining my predicament; my return date, and my interest in auditioning his speakers.

SCompRacer

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:01 pm »
Greetings Michael! I've been there and think it is near impossible to leave without buying a pair of speakers! No fast talk, just listen, they sell themselves...lol

front242

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:35 pm »
I own ProAc Response D2 monitors that I suspect may be similar in sound to the Silks or the Ellis 1801s, but that's just my wild guess. Has anyone in this thread heard my speakers, and can you share your thoughts or your impressions?

I owned ProAc Response D Two's.  Before I bought them, they were my dream speaker.  But the ProAc reputation for "lively" sound did not really appear at the end of the break-in period and I never really loved them.  When I heard the Reference 3A mm de capo i, I knew I needed to make a switch and I never looked back.  Much more alive, better/more bass.  I did love those!

Today, I run Silks that Jim modded for me to include Mundorf Silver/Oil caps.  I can say without a shred of doubt that there is no comparison between the Silks and the ProAc Response D Two's.  The precision of the RAAL tweeter is amazing.  The inner detail and purity of the sound offered by the mid is wonderful.  The bass is unbelievable given the dimensions. 

What's great for a Response D Two owner is that the switch to Silks will not require a switch of stands.  The dimensions of the two speakers are almost identical.  If you need any more questions answered, just let me know.

-John

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2013, 09:41 am »
Wow! (I feel sheepish typing that as it is one of the models for sale.)

My 'wow' comment comes as a response to the tremendous loyalty I've witnessed to the Salk line, and from people's willingness to respond to my post. Thank you!

First, to RACER:

Thanks! As soon as you posted, I realized I'd 'seen' you before. I read the thread about your new speakers and your custom room amendments recently. Nice! I want to make my own 2'x4' panels as soon as I return home. I've already researched where to get the materials and how to modify the stands to my personal needs. My HT room is very challenging (to me anyway).

Now to 'front242':

Thank you, John.

When I mentioned my owning a pair of D2s (and asked for opinions), I didn't really have a great hope of anyone's (who actually owned them) replying as they don't seem to have the following that the D1s or the Tablette speakers have. It was a shot in the dark for me.

Now I'm more even eager to listen to a Salk speaker. Well, specifically, I'm eager to listen to a Silk, an Exotica and/or an SS8.

I know there's a difference between the first two and the SS8. I understand their intended uses are different as well. Here's my thinking behind my choosing those three:

I already have a near-field system using my D2s with my SimAudio amp. I'm very happy with this set up. I'm not very happy with my HT system [largely due to my being so happy with my 2 channel system, but also because of my AVR's limitations]. I want my HT system's sound to be closer to my 2 channel system's sound. [So what do I want to do?] I want to have amazing sound in either system. In order to achieve that, I have to make a few changes. I hope to have an HT system that is more or less equal to my 2 channel system.

Different possibilities:

One possibility:
The SS8s may nicely replace my front and center channels in my HT system. This seems like a reasonable choice. If this works, my current HT system goes to my son who has expressed interest in it, or I sell it on Craig's List or Ebay, etc. I will likely replace my AVR with an AVA amp and an HT preamp.

Another possibility:
I replace my D2s with Silks or (possibly?) Exoticas in my 2 channel system.......and move my D2s to my HT system. I would still get the AVA amp and a third party HT preamp. I'm not sure if I would keep my current center channel speaker or opt for a ProAc CC speaker.

Yet another possibility:
I accept a [somewhat?] lower quality system for my near-field system such as the WOW! speakers combined with a subwoofer, and move my D2s to my HT system. I would still get the AVA amp (240/3) and an HT preamp.

These are the ideas that float around in my mind as I read this or that review, post, or impression about Salk speakers. All this without the benefit of having actually listened to a Salk speaker. I've even considered offering to 'buy' a pair of stock or demo speakers (if available) in order to listen to them and sending them back on my dime because it would still be cheaper than my flying out to Pontiac, Michigan to listen to his speakers.

As I hit the send button, I wonder if I should be doing this one-on-one, or allowing 'all' to see my thinking. .....Nah....I crave other peoples' thoughts on this.....

Happy holidays!

I'm 6 hours and 21 minutes away from Christmas!

« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2013, 03:28 am by mresseguie »

SCompRacer

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2013, 07:53 pm »
Happy Holidays Michael!

My room treatments are GIK, but diy can be just as effective. They also offer Guilford of Maine fabrics in different colors so you can match any room décor. You can also purchase GoM fabrics on the net, usually with a few yard minimum order. Main thing is to use an acoustically transparent fabric; the old rule is if you can blow through the fabric, it will work fine.

I am fussy to get the best sound in my room so I move them, listen, measure and use treatments. One more amp to try in early January and I may write a long winded impression. :o

Rocket

« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2013, 01:19 am »
Hi,

I think it would be a waste of money to purchase a pair of SS8's strictly for home theatre usage.  Plus this type of speaker really demands high quality components to obtain their best performance.

Probably your suggestion of a pair of silks or wow's would be the best options and to move your current speakers to your home theatre.  You could augment the bass with a rhythmic subwoofer if you don't already have one.  I've been down the track of mass produced speakers and the difference between salk speakers are the calibre of components that Jim uses in his speakers compared with the competition as well as a properly designed cover and the use of audiophile grade capacitors etc.

If your in the US there are many salk owners who might be able to help with a demonstration.

Cheers Rod