Danny Vs Kevin

oz_audio_todd

Danny Vs Kevin
« on: 2 May 2010, 06:22 am »
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that a shootout between 4 of Danny's servo 12's, in 2 cubic foot boxes and 2 of his 370w amps against Kevin H's 21" in a 8-10 cubic foot box with one of his 1000 watt amps would be really interesting to see happen?
How might Danny's subs compete in overall output? How might Kevin's compete against the control of the servo's, I find myself curious
I know this is not nice of me to call u guys out like this, but I cant buy Danny's gear here in Australia   :cry:   and am wondering if the two setups would be comparable (sorry)
Thanks Guys   :)

Danny Richie

Re: Danny Vs Kevin
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2010, 05:13 pm »
Those are really different types of drivers with different objectives and goals.

It is a bit like comparing a Cheetah to a Lion.

One is about a light weight moving mass with added electrical control for starting and more importantly stopping. The other is about bruit force.

The servo subs are not designed to give you the greatest possible output. In that regard most of Kevin's subs are going to clean house. The servo sub is about resolution and sound quality not quantity.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2010, 05:33 pm »
The servo sub is about resolution and sound quality not quantity.

That is absolutely the truth.   :notworthy: to Rythmik.   :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2010, 06:51 pm »
I've compromised in doing both. Use Danny/Rythmik designs for the 1st range of subs from 200Hz on down to about 50Hz (i.e the OB designs w/XBL2 drivers), and then blend in some nice XBL2 Maelstrom's 18's for the low end. 3-4 subs. Ultimate SPL capability for home theater and clean sounding for music as well.  :icon_twisted:

Anand.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2010, 07:33 am »
hahahahha! Oh thats priceless!  : )
Thanks for the reply Danny, i would have thought that 4 of the 12's would have at least been competitive, but if u say that it's not :(   (this sucks, i want resolution, quality and quantity!  :D   hahahahaha)
And while I love the concept Anand, I will try to stick with a single sub system (at the moment anyway  :)  )
thanks guys

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2010, 12:00 pm »
My vote is with Danny. You don't want to mess with this dude!  :lol:  :thumb:

Who is that?

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that a shootout between 4 of Danny's servo 12's, in 2 cubic foot boxes and 2 of his 370w amps against Kevin H's 21" in a 8-10 cubic foot box with one of his 1000 watt amps would be really interesting to see happen?
How might Danny's subs compete in overall output? How might Kevin's compete against the control of the servo's, I find myself curious
I know this is not nice of me to call u guys out like this, but I cant buy Danny's gear here in Australia   :cry:   and am wondering if the two setups would be comparable (sorry)
Thanks Guys   :)

It will be competitive, if some of the condition were modified.  First, instead of only two 2 cu ft enclosure, you can use 4 cu ft enclosures driven by a H600 amp (or A370WRMS). This is the dual 8ohm setup with 2 cu ft per driver.  Then you can use two of them.  Wattage wise, it will be comparable 1.2kW (or 0.8kW in case you use A370 amp) vs 1kW (with Kevin's setup).  Enclosure size wise, it would be 8 cu ft of Danny's vs 8 cu of 21".  Cone surface wise, it would also be comparable. Even if you use the A370WRMS option, I'd say you should still have pretty comparable output.

Would bigger cone produce better output?  Sure, but it needs a bigger amp and a bigger enclosure to take advantage. But on the other hand, we have also use multiple units of small drivers to add up the power and enclosure volume. That would have a similar output with a bigger driver using the same enclosure volume and power.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2010, 09:16 pm »
Thanks for the reply Danny, i would have thought that 4 of the 12's would have at least been competitive, but if u say that it's not   

Oh, I was just talking about the output capability of a single sub. 4 of the SW-12-08's and a pair of amps will get you right there in the output department no problem, especially with a pair of H600 amps.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2010, 11:26 pm »
Hey Brian,
Sorry, but yeah, I meant 2 cubes per woofer, and as I suggested I was thinking the two set ups might have bin a fun match up!
Not sure if the twin 600's would be fair though, would give the Gr's more cone, more control, more power, lower 3dB (and 50% more cost than the DIY cable setup) (athough not sure about the sensitivity and I know the throws have no comparison!).
Like I said, I thought the results might be interesting!  :)
Todd