Help finishing my x-ls encores....

rtate

Help finishing my x-ls encores....
« on: 24 May 2012, 01:11 am »
So I'm just about finished my x-ls encores and I would like a little advice from you guys regarding finishing.I'm using a birds eye maple veneer and I would like it to really "pop".
I have very little experience and was thinking of using an oil based finish cut with varsol and several coats to give them some depth. I have seen many great finishes here and just want to get a decent finish...
Anyway, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated !!! Please fire away... :thumb:
This is also my first time uploading pictures so I hope it works.... :green:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Help finishing my x-ls encores....
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2012, 02:17 am »

Nice looking cabs.

Most any oil based product will pop grain to some extent. Do you want to color them at all? I'd reccomend at least a light dye. Oil  and solvent base finishes tend to amber over time, and while it looks good at first, the yellow cast looks unappealing to my eye after a few years.

I don't know what Varsol is...paint thinner?

If you're wanting an easy to manage hand applied finish, you could start with a coat of tung oil to pop the grain, followed by as successive coats of a wipe on finish like Waterlox. Very easy and can build as much as you like to acheive the look you're after.  There are others, but Waterlox is easy and a darn good finish to boot. You could add a little TransTint to either product to reduce the effect I mentioned earlier.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

Here's another method:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/pop-goes-the-maple/

I just googled "pop birdseye maple grain" and got these:

http://woodworking.com/ww/Article/Finish_for_birds_eye_maple_4014.aspx

http://woodworking.about.com/od/typesofwood/p/WoodworkingWithMaple.htm

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012, 02:29 am »
Very nice looking cabinets.  I hope you have some scrap veneer to test finishes on.  I do not like tung oil or boiled linseed oil because they are not clear.  They can color the wood with a slight orange or brown cast.

Good luck.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 11:23 am »
  Your cabinets look really nice. Good job!

I normally use MinWax brand Wipe On polyurethane for the finish coat. Usually apply around 5 to 6 coats and gently sand with 600 grit sandpaper between coats. Be sure to wipe the surface with a tack cloth when you sand to remove the dust. If you plan to stain first, I suggest that you use MinWax Prestain before staining. It provides a more uniform color tone.

Noticed from the pictures you posted that the inside of the cabinets are lined with what appears to be No-Rez. You may also want to consider replacing the crossover mylar capacitors with Sonicaps to raise the performance level.

rtate

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2012, 12:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys !!
I like the idea of applying a tung oil to enhance the grain followed by several coats of some type of poly like waterlox...
When I read about the "pre-stain" it tells me it promotes "uniform acceptance of the stain", I thought that the reason that the grain "popped" is because the
grains accept the stain/tung oil at different rates thus hilighting the birds eye.
So, I'm still a little confused on if I should be using a pre-stain... :scratch:
The enclosures do have the no-rez and I plan on upgrading to the sonic caps but wanted to hear the stock ones to see for myself how much of an improvement they actually make... :green:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2012, 02:09 pm »
Welcome to the world of wood finishing...it can be confusing and even contradicting. The labels on the products in stores don't help that much.  It gets more complex the deeper you go.

First, I think one needs to differentiate between stain and dye. Stain is essentially ground up pigments that sorta lay on the surface, dyes penetrate and color wood more deeply and contain little pigment.

Stains, particularly dark ones, tend to mottle on some woods...maple, cherry, pine, etc. Mottling is hard to describe, but usually looks uneven in color. Dyes color and enhance whatever is there, but in a more transparent way, if that makes any sense :? Stain controller is stain base without pigments, so when applied first, it limits amount of color absorption. All this is harder to describe, but in practice is easy to see.

I should also point out that Waterlox is not poly, it's a modified varnish. Polyuretnane is a durable finish, but has a plasticky look I'm not fond of, particularly on furniture. If you want an "in the wood" rather than "on the wood" look, oils and wiping varnish will look better to most people.

If I were to suggest a system to someone new to the game, I think following the wood whisperer video would get you results you're after. I'd use Waterlox as my topcoat.

I almost hate to say it, but the wood finishing world is no different than anything else, good stuff costs more. They don't sell Wilson speakers at Best Buy and one doesn't find the best finishing material at the home centers. If you've got a Woodcraft store or something similar nearby that would be a better bet.

rtate

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2012, 02:51 pm »
I did like the wood whisperer video and found it very informative...
I also really like the piano type finish that I see on some of Ruben's
creations, however I fear that type of finish may not be possible when applying these products by hand... :cry:
Not to mention my lack of experience...
I am lucky in the fact that I have a local store called Exotic Woods that has a wide selection of products and some great veneers too !!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2012, 12:38 am »
You might be surprised what you can accomplish with hand applied finishes. All it takes is patience and the right products. Many get to the finishing stage and are excited to hear their creations so they rush. If you were a production shop, you'd look for fast ways to do things, but I guarantee if you take your time and plenty of elbow grease you can accomplish a deep glossy finish if that's what you want.

You can apply 10 or 20 coats (or more) of finish over a 30 or 60 day period, letting them dry well and sanding flat between every 2 or 3 coats using progressively finer grit sandpaper.  In time you'll fill the grain and start building a finish with depth and glassy surface...keep going till you're satisfied. If you want glossy start with gloss product. You can knock sheen down on gloss, but you can't make something super glossy if you start with satin or semi-gloss...but that's a whole 'nuther story. FWIW, I think wood almost always looks better with lower sheens unless we're talking violins or something.

Many fine antiques were finished by hand...think of it as therapy :)

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2012, 12:26 pm »
I've used Watco Danish oil for many years, on many veneers, from my favorite, Rosewood, to Padauk (Danny's original Alpha LS towers), to Oak, to Sapele.  Start  by flooding the veneer, then rub back and forth with the grain using 600 grit wet-or-dry, creating a slurry, always adding more oil so the veneer doesn't dry; then, wipe off the excess ACROSS the grain.  Let dry a couple hours or overnight.  Repeat with 800 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1200 grit. Result:  beautiful, deep finish that is the best presentation of the wood's grain.  Caveat:  oil offers the least protection of the wood, so sitting a sweating cold glass on top of your towers will leave a ring.  Easy to fix though and Watco makes a "wax" that you can apply every 6 months or so for a bit of protection.  Do not use consumer spray waxes like Pledge - it builds up and actually dulls.
Try this method - you can't screw it up and I think you'll like it.

[/img]

rtate

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2012, 02:22 pm »
thanks Hank those speakers do look great !!
but I think I will need a little more protection in my application....
So far I'm leaning towards a coat of tung oil followed by as many coats of polyurethane/varnish as my patience will allow... :lol:
« Last Edit: 25 May 2012, 03:53 pm by rtate »

rtate

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 01:51 am »
So here they are with 2 coats of tung oil applied....
Now I will let them dry thourghly and apply a top coat...

cody69

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 04:08 am »
The oil finish really pops the BEM -- very nice. I've always admired black trim with maple cabinets.
Be sure to post final pics when you've got them finished.