California speakers...
« on: 4 Dec 2007, 03:39 pm »
... two of three sealed SSR's going out to California  :thumb:

Matching subwoofer pics coming soon!

tanchiro58

Re: California speakers...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2007, 05:11 pm »
Rick,

What is the dB on these speakers? PM sent.

chrismercurio

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2007, 05:20 pm »
That bubinga is really beautiful. Fabulous job Rick,

C

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2007, 05:34 pm »
Rick,

If you mean the sensitivity, it's 84dB. Specs are here.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2007, 07:37 pm »
Rick,

84db sensitivity but we are more conservative than most manufacturers with our ratings  :)
Given the easy load a small tube amp can do quite well driving the SSR. These are going to the end customer in San Bernardino - no touring pair.

Kev

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2008, 07:37 am »
I built an entertainment center about 20 years ago.

My other 1/2 wanted something that didn't dominate the room and didn't block so much of the window.  I wanted the TV higher, drawers to hide DVDs and an improvement in vocals.

I started looking online figuring I could save if I built cabinets myself again. Then, I found Bubinga and Selah Audio.
I ended up building a smaller entertainment center, using an existing cabinet with 2 drawers, and having Rick build the speakers.

Unlike many people posting here, I don't have high end source equipment.
I have an Onkyo 805 that cost about $900 at circuit city and I play CDs through my Sony bluray. 

I can't say enough about the speakers.  The SSR x 3 arrived first.  They were packed box in box with a lot of packing inbetween.

Despite my limited front end, the improvement in clarity was immediately noticable on vocals, horns and metals such as cymbals and triangles.  I do listen to some CDs but mostly home theater.  I have Pink, Reba and Bare Naked Ladies on my DVR and they sound far more lifelike.  One of the most notable things about these speakers is that nothing is notable.  Everything is there but nothing overpowers anything else. You can hear lead vocals, background vocals, drums and strings all at the same time.

The 15" Aura subs arrived a few days ago.  They go lower and sound cleaner than my old JBL subs.  They can shake the house while still sounding crisp. One sub would be adequate for all but the biggest bass lovers.

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 3 yesterday.  Vocals, music and cannon blasts were all quite clear.  The complete package of SSR and subs have exceeded my expectations.   They are well worth the $. 
I tried to post pictures new and old, but couldn't make it work.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2008, 07:56 am by Kev »