F

Brad

First Pics of VMPS RM/X's
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2003, 03:13 am »
Maybe the high xover point keeps the height of the tweeter from intruding upon the sound.....

nathanm

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jan 2003, 04:17 am »
Quote from: ehider
:o Is it me or are these speakers pretty funky looking? Many have posted statements declaring that they can't afford these speakers. What intrigues me is how many would actually buy these funky looking things if they could afford them? (obviously assuming that they were much better than the RM-40 too)

I might, but I think I'd rather save up some more and commission a custom version with a more evil-looking cabinet.  Ten grand for a rectangular cabinet whose only appeal is a cool beveled baffle?  I dunno, I'd have to hear it first and be officially Blown Away.  I mean, if you're gonna go through the trouble of CNC machining the thing why not have some swoops and curves in on the sides too?  That's just my taste though...

Bob

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jan 2003, 05:12 am »
Here are some specifications/details on the RM/X:

http://vmpseurope.com/e/p-rm-x.htm

Seems like they really put a lot of thought and effort into realizing this design.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2003, 01:36 pm »
tyson, i agree that the rm-40's do look better.   but, i also like the baffle-less style for the mids.  if ya search the h/d archives, yule find i queried brian cheney on this exact topic regarding the rm40's, & he agreed it would be a worthwhile improvement,  but too costly...

doug s.

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:03 pm »
Funny thing is I actually pictured a "what-if?" on the RM40's with the exactly swoop and curve on the baffle as the RM/X. That would be cool!!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:08 pm »
well, i still want a pair of rm-40's, but the budget still sez "mebbe later"...  if i can find a good furniture guy prior to scraping up the funds, ya can be sure i will have a custom-made cabinet w/sloped baffle, & i will get brian to sell me a pair of extra tweets, so i can mount 'em in li'l pods on top, for standing/dancing occasions...

doug s.

audiojerry

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2003, 04:14 pm »
No offense to Brian, but I still have a very difficult time trying to figure how TRT caps, or any caps, can drive the price up 1200 bucks!

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2003, 04:28 pm »
When you aren't listening to music the caps will come out of the speaker and give you a backrub.  It's one of those extra perks you gotta pay a premium for.

Oxia

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:26 pm »
I don't find them to be "funky". "Imposing" better describes my reaction. They sort of resemble the tower of Isengard in "LOTR: The Two Towers", or possibly something in Geiger's Necronomicon.
Based on early web info, in my mind's eye I pictured something similar to the Green Mountain Continuum, but this is definitely something else. Nevertheless, I have to admire it when someone takes the less-travelled path and tries to be different. Bravo!

Val

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:44 pm »
I don't find them too bad, in fact more interesting visually than the plain vanilla RM 40s. The cabinet should also be much more rigid, with that curvature.

nathanm

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2003, 02:25 am »
Quote from: Oxia
I don't find them to be "funky". "Imposing" better describes my reaction. They sort of resemble the tower of Isengard in "LOTR: The Two Towers", or possibly something in Geiger's Necronomicon.

Whoah, that's some high praise - undeserved perhaps, but high. :wink:  I wished they DID really look like Orthanc.  Although, they would certainly not look entirely out of place in a Giger-furnished room. *swoons at the thought*

Anyone remember the name of that company that made the monstrously large horn speaker that weighed like 1200 lbs. and was 20 feet wide?  Now THAT sucker was Giger-worthy! :)

Oxia

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2003, 02:26 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
I wished they DID really look like Orthanc.  Although, they would certainly not look entirely out of place in a Giger-furnished room. *swoons at the thought*

At the risk of going further OT, here are some examples of Giger furniture that may just go with those RM-X's.

http://www.hrgiger.com/gegauf/loft.htm

MaxCast

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2003, 03:49 pm »
Yikes!! that is some pretty scary stuff.  That sconce reminds me of one I saw...it was a very realistic arm coming out of the wall holding a chain with a lightbulb on the end.

AVB

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:48 am »
I don't know why some people think that a speaker is "too big" for their room.  As long as you have  a standard ceiling,  at least 12' width and about 15' length, you can fit ANY VMPS speaker in your room. The ribbon models like to breathe so get then at least 3' out from the rear wall and 3' from the sides.  I have the ST III SRE models in a 16x25 room so I can imagine that the 40's and RMX will fit just fine in something smaller.