Inexpensive cartridge for classical.

weirdo

Inexpensive cartridge for classical.
« on: 30 May 2010, 03:56 am »
I have noticed that my AT 440mla, although great for rock , jazz and blues can sometimes not completely handle the complexity of large orchestra music. I will be listening to much more classical music now that I have purchased a collection of nearly mint classical lp"s. So, what cartridge, in your opinion, cuts the mustard for classical music in the 175.00 price range. ( mm or high output MC preferred ) Thanks, dk

weirdo

Re: Inexpensive cartridge for classical.
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2010, 05:12 pm »
Let me clarify, how about best inexpensive stereo cart for mono records?

GDeering

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2010, 02:49 am »
I'm of the school of thought that thinks that a cart should be able to play all music.  So I wonder if there is a set up issue that affect the tables handling of the dynamic range in some classical music.

To answer the question, the easiest answer would be Grado.  Why not buy a mono cart from Grado, otherwise you will be reading too much info from the records and taking your chances with noise.  I wish I had stocked up on mono ten years ago, and kept quiet, instead of extolling its virtues and watch the desirability bandwagon get into swing.  This is true for jazz, classical is following suit though.

Gregg

acidaho

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2010, 09:13 pm »

What are we talking about, folks? I listen to vinyl nightly (mostly classical, but mix a lot of other stuff with it) and use the same cartridge (ADC, Shure or Audio-Technica), just switching my integrated amp from mono to stereo as needed. I would say all three turntables/cartridges operate supurbely either way, Chuck :)

GDeering

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:01 am »
just switching my integrated amp from mono to stereo as needed. I would say all three turntables/cartridges operate supurbely either way, Chuck :)

A mono switch just shortchanges yourself from good mono play back, though it's fine as a bandaid, I don't switch carts all the time, but the truth is,  when you use a stereo cart you get all the noise from the bottom of the mono groove (that mono carts don't reach or read).  And with the switch you get a truncated mono signal that lack dynamics.  Let's not even go into non-RIAA engineered mono records.

Gregg