Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 60 "Leningrad"

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Best version?

I'm listening to Leonard Bernstein, and Chicago Symphony Orchestra, but wonder if there might be a better version?

Scottdazzle

The Bernstein Chicago is my favorite musically.

Ericus Rex

I like that version too.  The Chicago brass have such a great sound that really comes through with this piece.

hifiman5

If you are a real fan of Shosty then listen to any of his symphonies conducted by Vlad. Ashkenazy.  I don't know what it is but he flat out "gets" the drama, intensity, sadness and sardonic humor of Shostakovich's symphonies.  His #7 is truly wonderful.  The performance by the St. Petersburg Philharmonic is total talent and its a great sounding recording to boot!

etcarroll

Just bought - Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 60, "Leningrad" by Yuri Ahronovitch, an interesting take on this piece.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Kondrashin!  But only if you can take the madman's interpretation, and somewhat dated sound.  Otherwise, Barshai or Kitajenko do well in a more symphonic style, and with excellent sound.

etcarroll

I know, I know.............

But I'm at the whim of whatever new, 'recycled' CDs turn up at PREX, and after 3 visits, this is the 1st 'Leningrad' disk I've found.

All his other symphonies are represented by multiple performers, but this is the 1st copy of Leningrad by anyone I've seen. But I'll keep looking.  :wink:

Tyson

Oh, Bernstein isn't bad at all, but he sort of "Mahlerizes" Shostakovich.  Kondrasin especially will give you the full cold-war Soviet flavor of these works.

Aom-Uom

Hi,
Mahlerizing Shostakovich is a serious blunder indeed, approaching on artistic falsification. Together with other irregularities, like inappropriate tempi, it reveals a fatal misunderstanding of the musical content.

Feanor

Oh, Bernstein isn't bad at all, but he sort of "Mahlerizes" Shostakovich.  Kondrasin especially will give you the full cold-war Soviet flavor of these works.
I agree about the Kondrasin.

"Mahlerized" Shostakovich is a travesty, but that's Bernstein for you.

Tyson

Maybe that's not fair to Lenny.  He actually "Bernsteinizes" Shostakovich :P

Ericus Rex

Are all of Kondrashin's Shostakovich symphonies recommended?  I see on Amazon there are two different boxes of all 15 Symphonies; one on Melodiya and one on Aulos.  Are these the same recordings under two different labels?  Or is one preferred over the other?

Thanks Guys!

Tyson

Same recordings on different labels.  Both have similar sound quality.