Telarc "Surround Sound" CD - What is it?

mfsoa

Telarc "Surround Sound" CD - What is it?
« on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:02 am »
I got a Telarc CD from the library (Monteverdi Vespers of 1610) and didn't realize it says "Surround Sound" on the label.

The insert says it is compatible with all surround sound systems but will play with total fidelity through a standard stereo system.

It's a 1997 release, if I'm reading the tiny type right.

I see no mention of Dolby, 5.1, quad etc.

What is the intended surround setup?

Is the 2-channel missing something or is all the info squished onto 2 channels?

Just curious - Thanks for any info!

-Mike   

HsvHeelFan

Re: Telarc "Surround Sound" CD - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:57 am »
From what I can remember, it's the Dolby "Surround Sound".   

From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Stereo#Dolby_Surround

"Dolby Surround' was the earliest consumer version of Dolby's multichannel analog film sound format Dolby Stereo.

When a Dolby Surround soundtrack is produced, four channels of audio information—left, center, right, and mono surround—are matrix-encoded onto two audio tracks. The stereo information is then carried on stereo sources such as videotapes, laserdiscs and television broadcasts from which the surround information can be decoded by a processor to recreate the original four-channel surround sound. Without the decoder, the information still plays in standard stereo or monaural. The Dolby Surround decoding technology was updated during the 1980s and re-named Dolby Pro Logic. The terms Dolby Surround and LtRt are used to describe soundtracks that are matrix-encoded using this technique."

I've got a whole bunch of Telarc CDs and they sound great on my 2 channel system. 

HsvHeelFan