Any fans of Camille Saint-Saens?

JakeJ

Any fans of Camille Saint-Saens?
« on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:33 am »
In particular his 3rd symphony with, of course, pipe organ.

What is your favorite performance?  Recorded or live?  I personally have never attended a live recital of this piece but would love to.  I have several versions on vinyl and have yet to decide on a favorite but the first version I have in my collection is the Deutsche Grammophone 2530 619 with Daniel Barenboim conducting the CSO and Gaston Litaize playing the pipe organ in the Chartres Cathedral.  Perhaps not the best pressing but an outstanding performance.

Also have the Classic Record 45 RPM version of the Living Stereo LSC-2341 Charles Munch conducting the BSO with Berj Zamkochian playing the organ at the Boston Symphony Hall.

So what other recordings should I be on the look out for?  :rock: :banana piano:

JakeJ

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Any fans of Camille Saint-Saens?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:12 am »
Yes, a bit of a fan here.  I really like the set of piano concerto's that Hough and Sakari did a few years ago - good recording quality and fresh, swift playing.  Better than my Roge/Dutoit set, which is more old-world European in style.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:57 am »
Would this be the work you are referring to?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:11 am »
That's it :)

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:48 pm »
Cool, thanks!  I'll have to get a copy.

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:56 pm »
Try also the Hyperion CD of the three violin concertos. The 3rd is the most popular, but the first two are excellent works as well.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=10566&name_role1=1&comp_id=28206&genre=154&bcorder=195&name_id=104131&name_role=4

This is a link to arkivmusic, but if you want to buy you can find it for eight or nine dollars cheaper via Amazon third party suppliers. I recommend Caiman.

no1maestro

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2009, 10:25 pm »
Saint-Saens has written a lot over and above the 3rd. Symphony but it is still one of my own personal favorites. Don't overlook the Telarc version, either on cd or lp. Also one of his most popular works not necessarily written just for children is the Carnival Of The Animals. It is a lively and light set of characteristic pieces for orchestra which is often overlooked.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:02 am »
Cello Concertos are great.  I've only heard them live, no recordings yet.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2009, 04:36 am »
Cello Concertos are great.  I've only heard them live, no recordings yet.

Well, Rich, my man . . I expect you should get Jacqueline Du Pre's Elgar Cello Concerto on EMI.  I would.  The more resolving your system the more of her interpretation is evident.  It's in the details.  I'm not being snobby I've just began to notice more of this as I'm making changes to my system.  I've never gotten tired of this if that tells you anything.

GDeering

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:23 am »
Saint Saens actually wrote 5 symphonies, one of them a student symphony ?Urbs Roma? is very good as I remember.  None compare to #3 (let's go Dvorak and re name them so decades of CD adn LP covers are wrong!), but they are nice in a light and fleet way.  I think there are a lot of good 3rd symphony records (still love the Munch); one of my favorites is Martinon, who also recorded the four earlier symphonies.  I don?t have it on CD, but I?m sure the sound quality will be better than the Angel LPs.  Oddly Martinon is now known for Mahler, what a weird world?

Saint Saens has a few tone poems, Danse Macabre is really great.  Another one, Rouet d'Omphale, I always liked because it was used as the intro for the 1930?s Shadow radio program.  I go in and out of Old Time Radio phases.

Also, his second piano concerto, career vehicles for both Gilels and Rubinstein; and string Quartet are good pieces.  I?m not really familiar with his solo piano music.

Saint Saens has always been my poster composer for liking good but not necessarily emotionally deep music ? classical music listeners (I think) need to relax and not worry that all music has to plumb the depths.  Rock fans don?t feel bad for listening to silly 60?s pop and then switching to what ever is passing critical muster currently; I think classical fans might learn from the Rock world?s acceptance of and appreciation for different musical intentions.

Gregg