Shostakovich

drjstern

Re: Shostakovich
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2009, 01:31 am »

When I didn't upsample, I got 9 tracks total of 86 Mgbytes.

Maybe I'm missing an update?

DVD Solo would have taken and authored the 24/88 files, as is, fine; why did you upconvert to a non-integer 24/96?

drjstern

« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2009, 11:38 pm »
I know why you are confused. I'm authoring an audio only dvd to 24/96 with the dvd solo ultra and you must be thinking of authoring a dvd-a with dvd solo.

harryz

« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:17 pm »
The piano music is also incredible and among the greatest works in the canon-- especially the Opus 87 preludes and fugues.  Nikolayeva and Sherbokov are wonderful on CD; my favorite is Roger Woodward on an older RCA LP.  Every emotion is there, and the music-- a tribute to Bach's 48-- is other worldly.  Don't miss it.

Harry

Dave G

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:28 pm »
The piano preludes and fugues ARE nice.  I have Sherbakov's and Keith Jarrett's.  Both are very good.

Dave

hifiman5

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2010, 01:10 am »
If I may be so bold...you ain't nothin till you've heard Vlad. Ashkenazy's interpretations of Shosty's symphonies.  I listen to more Shostakovich symphonies than anything else in my collection.  The commitment, angst, sorrow, sarcasm are there and nobody gets it better than Ashkenazy.  His renditions are exciting and incredibly touching at the same time...hard to accomplish.

Please, if you love and respect Shostakovich's orchestral repertoire as I do, listen to Ashkenazy.  He will take you captive and you'll finally understand Shosty's soul.  And yes, his recordings fortunately have fine sound quality.  Google it now!

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2010, 11:48 pm »
These Gregg?

So I went shopping again today, rd 2, and forgot to print out this thread, tried to do it from memory. Glad I remembered the greenish tinge the artwork, as I grabbed the complete series, Borodin Quartet  over 4 cds from Melodia/BMG. String quartets 1 - 13 all told.

Plus a CD of Sol Gabetta, (remembered the name as a recent entry on the other 'what have you heard lately thread), Cello Concero #2, and Sonata for cello and piano, OP 40.

And Rubio String quartet, quartet 3 & OP 73, plus quartet 15, OP 144.

Guess I'm good for Shostakovich for awhile, no?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:59 am »
Those are great pickups, start with cello Cto 2 and with String Quartet #8!

etcarroll

« Reply #27 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:47 am »
Those are great pickups, start with cello Cto 2 and with String Quartet #8!

Listened to Cto 2 last night to break-in the new xovers to my new speakers.

Will go to String Quartet #8 next.

GDeering

« Reply #28 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:09 am »
etcarroll,

Great one stop shopping.  I'm confused, the box says complete with Richter, so it's the second cycle?  If so you should have all 15?  If it's 13 then it's the first cycle, some one smarter than me would know if Richter is on both cycles or they re-used the 8 in the second cycle.  Either way great recordings.

Try #'s 3 & 4 early on too.  Have fun.  Now I have a quartet stuck in my head....

Gregg

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 9 Mar 2010, 04:49 am »
If I may be so bold...you ain't nothin till you've heard Vlad. Ashkenazy's interpretations of Shosty's symphonies.  I listen to more Shostakovich symphonies than anything else in my collection.  The commitment, angst, sorrow, sarcasm are there and nobody gets it better than Ashkenazy.  His renditions are exciting and incredibly touching at the same time...hard to accomplish.

Please, if you love and respect Shostakovich's orchestral repertoire as I do, listen to Ashkenazy.  He will take you captive and you'll finally understand Shosty's soul.  And yes, his recordings fortunately have fine sound quality.  Google it now!
Ok, man.  I'm down.  His tenth was my first, btw.

Tyson

« Reply #30 on: 9 Mar 2010, 06:34 am »
etcarroll,

Great one stop shopping.  I'm confused, the box says complete with Richter, so it's the second cycle?  If so you should have all 15?  If it's 13 then it's the first cycle, some one smarter than me would know if Richter is on both cycles or they re-used the 8 in the second cycle.  Either way great recordings.

Try #'s 3 & 4 early on too.  Have fun.  Now I have a quartet stuck in my head....

Gregg

The pic he posted is definitely the 2nd cycle.

etcarroll

« Reply #31 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:11 pm »
Ok - pulled the booklet from a jewel case, and it shows that this is a boxed, 6 cd set that should take me up to quart. No. 15. Plus, a seperate CD with quartet #3 and and 2 pieces for string octet piano quintet - Richter.

So, I'm missing the CD with Richter, and final CD that would bring me up to quart. # 15.

The shop I've been going to has some sorting of CDs, but most are scattered in a series of cardboard boxes in no order, so you rummage around to see what you can see. The 4 CDs I bought were together in one box, I thought I had the set.

GDeering

« Reply #32 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:55 pm »
As I've said, I hate playing retail for CDs, so love what you've got and dig for the rest later. 

I feel better abuot my scant knowledge of Borodin Shosti cycles. 

Gregg

etcarroll

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2010, 02:22 pm »
Me too brother, on both counts, I know little about classical, and I'm a cheap Irishman from S. Boston.

Anyone in NJ area looking for music, any music, at a value price, needs to stop by Princeton Record Exchange, prex.com.  :thumb:

I'd get in more often, but it's a 1.5 hr. drive one way for me.

Feanor

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm »
I was just poking around after neglecting Audio Circles for quite a while, (my loss), and spotted this Shostakovich thread.

I love Shostie's symphonies and string quartets, but I'd like to remind folks that his Violin Concert No. 1 is certainly one of the greatest of that category.  The 3rd, 'Andante', movement has some of the most expressive violin music ever written, IMO.

I've got this version and I'd say it's very fine ...

Feanor

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:56 pm »
Ah! and speaking of Shostakovitch' Symphony No. 5 I've got to recommend this version on Blu-ray which is a fine performance and truely great 5.1 channel sound via Dolby TrueHD ...

Michael Tilson Thomas & San Francisco Symphony recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:35 am »
My 10th is with Svetlanov conducting the USSR Symphony on Melodia/Angel and am about to put it on.  Haven't heard it in a long while but used to listen to it a lot.  Then I'll have to hunt down his 5th.  Listened to 8 recently with Previn conducting and it is very moving with great orchestral sound.

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jun 2011, 04:07 pm »
I'm listening to the Rostropovich set for the first time today - I have  to say I am quite enjoying it, which is very surprising after the rather  lukewarm reviews I've read of it.  I like that it's different than any  other set I've heard.  Where most go for manic (Rozhdestvensky or  Kondrashin), or Deep (pretty much everyone else), Rostropovich treats  the music in an almost balletic manner.  Not quite the Nutcracker, but  close.  He zigs, where others zag.  Maybe not a reference set, but still  it's very good and a very satisfying alternate take.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:56 pm »
I was just poking around after neglecting Audio Circles for quite a while, (my loss), and spotted this Shostakovich thread.

I love Shostie's symphonies and string quartets, but I'd like to remind folks that his Violin Concert No. 1 is certainly one of the greatest of that category.  The 3rd, 'Andante', movement has some of the most expressive violin music ever written, IMO.

I've got this version and I'd say it's very fine ...

Feanor, nice to see you on Audio Circle, mate.  Do stick around, won't you.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #39 on: 23 Jun 2011, 07:27 pm »
I don't know anything about Classical Music, but I know what I like. Most of the high brow music I own is used to exercise and evaluate components, but I genuinely like this fellas music. Could some one recommend a recording of his 10th symphony? I'm told I'd like it.

Doc.