Rachmaninov - Piano Concertos

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Rachmaninov - Piano Concertos
« on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:48 am »
OK I'm about to (once again) impose my taste and preferences upon the general populace here.  Some of you may like your Rach ultra romantic and syrupy (ala Ashkenazy), or even ultra virtuoistic (ala Wild), but I would recommend a more ascetic approach, specifically the Hough/Litton set, which is drier and more flinty than normal, fleeter and less emotive.  In the ultra-romantic music on display here, it offers a nice tonic, a yin to the yang, which balances very nicely.  Recording is done live and is very good as well.  Not as rich as some others (Richter, Ashkeanzy, Wild, Rudy), but fitting in with the overall interpretation quite nicely.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2011, 06:29 am by Tyson »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto's
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:02 am »
I first heard the Richter Deutche Grammophone version when I was about 10 year old in the early 60's and it gave me goosebumps. 45 year have passed and it still gives me goosebumps.  For me, Richter just nails the brooding Russian soul of the Rachmaninov  better than anyone else.  My God what power!

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:05 am »
Richter is a god.  Maybe not "THE" god, but definitely a god.  OK, I'm channeling Groundhog Day, but still.....

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:12 am »
I'm curious as to weather you've heard this
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Time-Rachmaninoff-Performs-Piano/dp/B000009RCS
and how you would compare it to your prefered versions.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:55 am »
Yep, I have that recording.  Those are of the solo piano works, not the concerto's.  They sound great and are definitive of course. 

Randy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2008, 01:58 pm »
You can't go wrong with this version of the concertos. And the price is right. 3 CDs for about $20. First class performances and first class recordings.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=3556

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2008, 02:02 pm »
No. 2- Earl Wild with Horenstein/The Royal Philharmonic (Chesky vinyl).  Lovely, large recording.  

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:07 pm »
No. 2- Earl Wild with Horenstein/The Royal Philharmonic (Chesky vinyl).  Lovely, large recording.   

Interesting.  I have that recording. Although excellent sound, it seems too analytical for my taste and I haven't listened to it in years.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2008, 08:27 pm »
No. 2- Earl Wild with Horenstein/The Royal Philharmonic (Chesky vinyl).  Lovely, large recording.   

Interesting.  I have that recording. Although excellent sound, it seems too analytical for my taste and I haven't listened to it in years.

Different strokes, I suppose.  On the other hand, it might be that my old Koetsu is doing me a favor.

dubravko

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2008, 10:08 pm »
I very much like the 3rd with Van Cliburn / Kondrashin live from Carnegie Hall in 1958 reissued on RCA Living Stereo CD/SACD. Some may feel it is somewhat unusual performance regarding dynamics of both the pianist and orchestra, but to me it is very inspiring and exciting. Sound is fantastic, for me and for now this is the earliest top quality recording. Unbelievable, like it was recorded last night. No other RCA or Mercury I heard sounds that good. It is kind of frustrating that this level of sound quality is technically possible for 50 years now, but rarely actually available on discs.

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:19 pm »
Don't forget about the Martha Argerich recording of the 3rd.  Decent sound but WOW what a performance.  Only person I can think of that even comes close is Byron Janis, and maybe Horowitz. 

Earl Wild never really did much for me - I always felt he focused more on showmanship at the expense of the music.  I listen to it and think "I should like this", but then I'm never sucked in or moved by it.

Ern Dog

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2010, 03:21 am »
I'm a novice when it comes to classical music and heard my first Rachmaninoff piano concerto about 18 months ago and loved it.  He has now become my favorite composer.  I have #3 on SACD RCA Living stereo and it is superb.

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2010, 04:00 am »
Hey, good timing!  Andsnes recorded 1 & 2 a while back and it was up there with the very best.  They are releasing 3 and 4 now, and I've got it on preorder!

JBLMVBC

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:02 am »
Rachmaninov's second piano concerto:  :thumb:

Calypte

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:27 am »
Hough's in-tempo playing of the opening chords agrees with the score, but even Rachmaninoff himself didn't play it that way.  Still, Hough's is interesting to hear, and the SACD has excellent sound, very much as I'd expect to hear it from a good seat in the hall.  The piano is a bit recessed, but most concerto recordings push the piano unrealistically forward.  There are lots of good Rach 2s.  Richter (recommended here) would certainly be high on my list, but a personal favorite is Janis/Dorati on Mercury.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:53 am »
Orchestra's interpretation of a work is almost completely guided by the conductor.  Different conductors want to emphasize or de-emphasize different passages or Orchestral sections.

Conductors, along with the guest artist, pick the tempo for piano concertos.

Nothing beats going and hearing a Piano Concerto live.  If you're located in or near a major metropolitan center, check your local orchestra out.

Every live Orchestral performance will be different, if you know where and what to listen for.

Last month, we played Rach's  3rd.    It was pretty good. Not Van Cliburn good, but good.  The soloist played Radiohead and then Debussy for encores.

HsvHeelFan

koyaan

« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2011, 09:10 pm »
The Plentnev/Rostropovich recording of the 3rd is among my favorites( from DG, a 2 disc set on SACD along with Prokofiev's 3rd)

95Dyna

« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »
Rachmaninov's second piano concerto:  :thumb:

Which do you recommend, the CD or the Hi Rez download played on your new Bryston Digital Player?

JBLMVBC

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2011, 01:37 am »

Funny you ask! Since I would recommend both. In fact the reason I bought the Bryston digital was to be able to listen to the masterfile of this CD that I produced and subsequent projects we have!
As an aside, it was a Live recording under difficult circumstances (the professional equipment of the concert hall failed in mid performance but I had a 16Bit, 44.1kHz back up) but unlike some prestigious label March 2011 release, our CD is the concert performance, not a 50/50 mix of live and rehearsal... 8)

Which do you recommend, the CD or the Hi Rez download played on your new Bryston Digital Player?