Great audiophile sound on a beer budget

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
Great audiophile sound on a beer budget
« on: 4 Sep 2018, 12:17 am »
There was a time when I bought into the hyperbolic assertion that you had to spend more than the next guy to achieve tonal nirvana.  I’ve been fortunate to have owned some world class gear, Marantz model 9’s, McIntosh MX-110 pre/tuner to name a few.  Recently I stumbled on what some would consider pedestrian mid-fi gear that has caused me to rethink all of this.  Right now I’m totally loving a 1972 Realistic STA-76 Receiver, Ah! Tjoeb 99 CD Player ($1200 when new), a pair of mid 1980’s Bowers & Wilkins DM220’s ($200) into a Sony run of the mill sub ($225).  It has all the resolution, clarity, 3D soundstage, amazing detail and finesse. It is truly lifelike.  I have the mate to the receiver, a 1972 Miracord Elac 40c Turntable in for servicing. It was a $35 find.

dB Cooper

Re: Great audiophile sound on a beer budget
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2018, 12:59 am »
Money doesn't necessarily equate to happiness with audio any more than anything else in life. In fact, sometimes I think that some with "pedestrian" or "mid fi" systems may actually enjoy music more than some with megabuck systems because they're not as prone to that constant, low-level worrying about whether they are getting their money's worth or not that many audiophiles with big-dollar systems experience. Many audio manufacturers say "The most important thing is the music" or some variation thereof as their 'mission statement'; well, is it?

You don't mention the Maggies in your sum-up; which model are those?

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2018, 01:18 am »
dB Cooper:

Well said!  The Maggie’s are 1987 2.5’s that I restored about 10 years ago, they’re truly amazing. I had the model 9’s and McIntosh pre on them, then a Audio Research VS 110, Bottlehead Foreplay II highly modded pre with a pair of B&W subs recently.  Currently it has a 1992 Yamaha MX-630 amp into a 1992 Yamaha CX-630 pre, a Denon DVD-2930ci, and a 1976 Kenwood KD-5066 Turntable, that system is sublime and also cheap and cheerful 😏😎

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2018, 10:34 am »
Money doesn't necessarily equate to happiness with audio any more than anything else in life. In fact, sometimes I think that some with "pedestrian" or "mid fi" systems may actually enjoy music more than some with megabuck systems because they're not as prone to that constant, low-level worrying about ....

Those folks are music lovers first and audiophiles second.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2018, 12:34 pm »
An 80's British Fidelity A-1 integrated into Quad 57's would fit in that realm also.

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2018, 01:00 pm »
JLM:

You sir, are spot on, I’m a music lover first and an audiophile second.  One factor, my listening room is outstanding as it’s very neutral without any room funkiness to muck things up. 

kbuzz3

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2018, 12:59 am »
dB Cooper:

Well said!  The Maggie’s are 1987 2.5’s that I restored about 10 years ago, they’re truly amazing. I had the model 9’s and McIntosh pre on them, then a Audio Research VS 110, Bottlehead Foreplay II highly modded pre with a pair of B&W subs recently.  Currently it has a 1992 Yamaha MX-630 amp into a 1992 Yamaha CX-630 pre, a Denon DVD-2930ci, and a 1976 Kenwood KD-5066 Turntable, that system is sublime and also cheap and cheerful 😏😎

I also just discovered,the merits of a vintage Yamaha amp....

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:36 am »
Those folks are music lovers first and audiophiles second.

I find myself being reminded of this sometimes in discussions like this one

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2018, 02:56 am »
I find myself being reminded of this sometimes in discussions like this one

Certainly this is the famous Pink Floyd sense of humour. Mr.AP was sound engineer/musician/composer/singer so it have it in spades:
All proaudio guys will hate audiophiles if they know what this term means, as audiophiles are able to identify all that crap job they do in those recordings years go...just to keep cost so low as possible.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2018, 06:37 am by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2018, 01:02 am »
I looked it up. Didn't remember that Parsons was involved with the production but apparently was credited by PF with making a big contribution to the success of the project. As classic as classic rock gets. Thanks.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2018, 01:43 am »
I have a 1980s Rotel RB-850 50wpc stereo amp, which internally is built much like a dual mono.  Picked it up used for $100 in the late 90s.  I've always been surprised by how good it sounds, even in high-end systems.  Once drove a pair of $10,000 speakers with it and it did a fine job.

Sadly, it currently sits in my storage unit, unable to get into my main system, bedroom system, or even sitting nearby as a backup.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2018, 04:55 am by Tom Bombadil »

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2018, 02:23 am »
I also just discovered,the merits of a vintage Yamaha amp....

I always loved the looks of those vintage Yamaha amps. Maybe I will break down and buy one someday.

bummrush

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2018, 02:32 am »
Those Yamaha's,,,,Beautiful

kbuzz3

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2018, 07:22 pm »
Those Yamaha's,,,,Beautiful

Yammie M-4 here....so musical

luckyguy

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:54 pm »
Decades ago my nirvana was a Yamaha B2 amp paired with 1.7 Maggies.  Voices were just magical and drove listeners crazy with prescence and liquidity.  Remember a shootout we had at the house and the B2 handily beat all comers including a Mark Levinson 26.  I have never been able to reproduce that sound. :cry:

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:39 am »
I am not a Maggie expert but I don't think the 1.7s are decades old. I am guessing they are circa 2010?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 9 Sep 2018, 11:33 am »
Heard fresh out of the box $300/pair JBL LSR305 Mk2's here (medium sized room, mid-field setup) recently and was blown away.  Just add a DAC/preamp with balanced outputs, like the top rated $500 Topping DX7s, cables and you're done for under $1,000.00 USD (stands included).  Simple, compact, F3 = 41 Hz, would satisfy me for a long time as my main rig if I wasn't so stupidly audiophilesh.   :oops:

kbuzz3

« Reply #17 on: 9 Sep 2018, 02:25 pm »
Decades ago my nirvana was a Yamaha B2 amp paired with 1.7 Maggies.  Voices were just magical and drove listeners crazy with prescence and liquidity.  Remember a shootout we had at the house and the B2 handily beat all comers including a Mark Levinson 26.  I have never been able to reproduce that sound. :cry:

Not  being obnoxious,  But This sounds like something that could be done on the used market easily....although I understand that prices on the B2 have risen in the past few years....
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2018, 06:01 pm by kbuzz3 »

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2018, 03:10 am »
The B-2 uses unobtainable V-FET transistors. That is the magic. Sony just doesnt want to make them anymore.

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2018, 09:23 am »
The B-2 uses unobtainable V-FET transistors. That is the magic. Sony just doesnt want to make them anymore.

Nelson Pass take on the Sony V-FETS.

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_sony_vfet_40yr.pdf