Gergiev's Mahler set

Ericus Rex

Gergiev's Mahler set
« on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:36 pm »
Anyone heard this recent release?  How does it compare to other standards like Tennstedt, Bernstein or Boulez?  I'm very tempted since it's SACD but, to me, there's nothing worse than bland Mahler.  Thoughts?

steve in jersey

Re: Gergiev's Mahler set
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2012, 06:53 pm »
Were these the offering in your email from Amazon.com this morning . You must be a pretty good Amazon customer also ! (Heh, heh,heh)

I like Gergiev, I don't believe you have to worry too much about a bland Mahler set from him.  The price of the set is pretty reasonable, but the LSO live production team is not quite as good as when Tony Faulkner was part of it. I'm not too familiar with Tennstedt, but I generally don't care for EMI remastering of what were pretty good analog recordings, they equalized much of the original SQ right off of the recordings. I like "Lenny" quite a bit, but the SQ of his various sets will probably be all over the place.  Now if there was a Ivan Fischer/BPO/Channel Classics set it would be the "slam dunk" set for me.

Good listening & Merry Christmas

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2012, 07:09 pm »
Actually, I get the automatic emails from Presto music (UK).  They currently have the set on sale:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/LSO%2BLive/LSO0730?utm_source=News-2012-12-24&utm_medium=email

There's 1 review at Amazon (who can trust these people, right?) that states this set is middle of the road.  I was hoping someone on this site had some experience with it...as opposed to someone I've never met, never talked to, have no idea where they live or what they look like...wait a minute!

:lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2012, 09:28 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm »
I've got about a dozen sets of Mahler and Bertini is the best, both in SQ and in performance. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2013, 07:54 pm »
Thank you Tyson.  I think I've made up my mind    :D