With xover mod,is it realistic to expect a noticeable bump in detail retrieval?

andyr

... so as you registered in 2003 with 73 I suppose you now have 92 !

I may well have registered in 2003 ... but I wasn't 73 in that year (I was 54).   :)

There is various FR drivers that reach 20kHz or more as AER, Voxativ, Feastrex, Mark Audio etc... you dont know them because they are not from your country.

But what about the low end, FRM?  Can they also deliver 20Hz?

(If the music you mainly listen to is female voice with acoustic guitar ... 20Hz is irrelevant.  But if like me you like 'Yello' and Bach organ music ... then 20Hz is essential!)

Andy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I may well have registered in 2003 ... but I wasn't 73 in that year (I was 54).   :)

But what about the low end, FRM?  Can they also deliver 20Hz?

(If the music you mainly listen to is female voice with acoustic guitar ... 20Hz is irrelevant.  But if like me you like 'Yello' and Bach organ music ... then 20Hz is essential!)

Andy
Seems you really dont know it so I will give you the solution for free:
if the FR are bass shy, who has to increase the bass is the box or the inside stuffing and others internal treatments, usually are recommended BR box or Frugal Horn if FR are under 6'' and low Qts.

Obviously FR drivers are not recommended for hi SPL music.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I was being nice with my comments, so let me say what I really wanted to -- those speakers aren't worth upgrading. Sell them and buy or build some better speakers. They're another example in a long line of pricey ($3,200) speakers with $10 worth of crossover parts.
+1 Someone has to say the truth.
I like vintage speakers but only in original condition with that quirk sound, they are fun to listen as muzak or computer speakers.

This is a complex 3way xover, difficult to replace parts due too many parts in a small PCB, I count four cheap iron core inductors, the photo shows this xover was nicely assembled in the factory, a modification of the original solders would be too bad, one option would be make another complete xover fully new and keep this one for reserve.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2022, 06:10 am by FullRangeMan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
The sheer # of crossover parts is likely what is sucking up the detail.  That plus the efficiency is lower than the Klipsch.  I recommend against a parts swap and maybe checking out a speaker that's naturally closer to the sound you want.  Check out Spatial Audio, they are an AC vendor and offer a tremendous amount of detail and dynamics in an open baffle format.