Felix project

Big Red Machine

Re: Felix project
« Reply #320 on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:55 pm »
PICS!!!   :thumb:

You bet. Let me see if I can get that label made.  I have some printer compatible label sheets somewhere.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #321 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm »
Photos here.  I was going to use some water soluble decal material but opted for standard inkjet label.

The outlet is a Maestro, the cover plate is from Hong Kong, the 12 ga wire was lying around, the IEC is a Furutech F11?, the components are from the parts list, and the damping material is one that mjsoef found for another project.

The cases are from Ebay and are steel made by an Ohio company.  Thought they were cool looking and they are nice and heavy.  The feet are from Ebay site for Adona racks.  I wired in a small blue light after the fuse block for a touch of coolness.

I have to wire the second unit yet as I am planning on mono-blocks in the spring.

panomaniac

« Reply #322 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:50 pm »
Very Groovy!  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #323 on: 14 Nov 2010, 03:55 pm »
Good job! :thumb: When are you going into commercial production :)?

-Roy

Hap

« Reply #324 on: 14 Nov 2010, 04:53 pm »
Photos here.  I was going to use some water soluble decal material but opted for standard inkjet label.

The outlet is a Maestro, the cover plate is from Hong Kong, the 12 ga wire was lying around, the IEC is a Furutech F11?, the components are from the parts list, and the damping material is one that mjsoef found for another project.

The cases are from Ebay and are steel made by an Ohio company.  Thought they were cool looking and they are nice and heavy.  The feet are from Ebay site for Adona racks.  I wired in a small blue light after the fuse block for a touch of coolness.

I have to wire the second unit yet as I am planning on mono-blocks in the spring.

Nice Job with your Felix project...
You may want to confirm this against the original schematic; believe Occam noted the smallest value caps should be placed nerast to the CMC, followed by  the progressivly larger values.
Cheers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #325 on: 14 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
nice.

and the sonic result?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #326 on: 14 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
nice.

and the sonic result?

I have no preamp now so no idea.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #327 on: 14 Nov 2010, 05:02 pm »
Nice Job with your Felix project...
You may want to confirm this against the original schematic; believe Occam noted the smallest value caps should be placed nerast to the CMC, followed by  the progressivly larger values.
Cheers.

That's correct. I have a completed group buy Felix in front of me and the smallest caps are sequentially  closest to the CMC.

Occam

« Reply #328 on: 14 Nov 2010, 05:11 pm »

I love it!!!  8)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #329 on: 14 Nov 2010, 07:38 pm »
Are the CMC and caps polarized?

Occam

« Reply #330 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm »
The requisite X2 (and higher - X1,Y1,Y1) are all non polarized [we're working in AC here] metalized caps [There are ceramic, non polarized, rated suppression caps, but ...]. Common mode chokes are not polarized (leastwise not the same ways as an electrolytic capacitor) but wiring convention must be observed for it to work properly, with the same attention paid that you would a transformer.

Note - the above is a DC application, quite useful where ripple is common mode, and hence polarized electrolytic caps are shown.

In the above schematic, as well as in a Felix, it wouldn't matter if you rotated the CMC around a vertical axis, both terminals with the 'dots' should either be connected to  'input' or 'output'. If you rotate it 90 degrees, you verify whether the requisite breakers/fuses are working properly.  :o

Big Red Machine

« Reply #331 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm »
That's correct. I have a completed group buy Felix in front of me and the smallest caps are sequentially  closest to the CMC.

I wired the second one that way.

WGH

« Reply #332 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:50 pm »
That is the classiest looking Felix I have seen, good job BRM. (Your birdhouse looked great too)

Wayne

mgalusha

« Reply #333 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm »
In case anyone wants one of the group buy boards I posted one in the marketplace.

mike

Big Red Machine

« Reply #334 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:56 pm »
That is the classiest looking Felix I have seen, good job BRM. (Your birdhouse looked great too)

Wayne

Thanks Wayne.  I plan on plopping them down next to each future mono-block now that I have re-wired my room to have a leg of my dedicated 20A circuit on the right side also.  The I can jumper them to the wall outlets PDQ and use short PC's to the amps. 

TomS

« Reply #335 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:59 am »
Last weekend's project, a quad 3 amp version Felix with the Hubbells recommended by Occam.  I was practicing my veneering again and am gradually improving.  This one is walnut burl with a solid maple base.  I made the box XXL to allow room for additions as desired.

mhconley

« Reply #336 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:08 pm »
I've just purchased some Hubbell IG8300 duplex receptacles and I'm looking to build a 4 gang box using Felix circuits.  I cannot find Vishay MKP 338 X1 capacitors anywhere.  I have found what looks like a good alternative in the Vishay F1772 X2 line.

Will these work?

Martin

Occam

« Reply #337 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:14 pm »
Martin - Yes.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #338 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:18 pm »
Martin - Yes.

Do you think the 338's are better though?  I got a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago. 

mhconley

« Reply #339 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:24 pm »
Martin - Yes.

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you think the 338's are better though?  I got a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know if either is better than the other.  The F1772 X2 is rated for 24x7 operation and the ones I just purchased are spec'ed with a 10% tolerance.

Martin
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2010, 03:54 pm by mhconley »