White van speakers?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
White van speakers?
« on: 5 Feb 2023, 10:37 pm »
I saw an add on Craigslist for some possible white van speakers.

Audioline AH-2003

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: White van speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2023, 11:12 pm »
Odd looks, it could be sold in Las Vegas market.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2023, 10:23 am »
Digital 2-way loudspeakers?

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2023, 12:52 pm »
Those very well could be "white van speakers".

Many years ago I was approached by one of those guys in the white van explaining he "had surplus from a speaker job" that he did.  I just laughed and said "no thanks".

A week or two later I was talking to my older brother... you can guess where this is heading, can't you.  Yep, same van, same guy, same story.  Except my brother bought them!  $200 or $300.  I delicately tried to tell him they were junk, but it sounded like he already suspected it.  He asked if I'd take a look at them and try to get them working (he had bought speakers and an amp).  It's been quite a long time ago but I remember the amp hookup was really weird.  Proprietary connections, maybe.  I got it to work... but it was bad.  No bass, very limited, narrow midrange.  Fragile.  No volume.  Crap.

Once again, I had to break the news to my brother.  I think he chalked it up as a several hundred dollar lesson.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2023, 02:54 pm »
Wow!  Flashy monstrosities!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2023, 07:02 pm »
Digital 2-way loudspeakers?

Any time they say something like "digital" or "home theater tower" it is either a white van speaker or a cheap (Pyle/Pyramid/etc.) product to begin with. Particle board enclosure, very little crossover (capacitor on tweeter/horn), and the usual cutting corners. Never seen Allen screws used, unless they are cheap and plentiful.