Audiophile Junkie You Tube sound comparisons

mrotino332

Audiophile Junkie You Tube sound comparisons
« on: 21 Sep 2022, 02:15 pm »
I noticed Audiophile Junkie has posted a five part series on three speakers, The Magico S7, Acora SRC-2 and Spatial X3s.  The first three clips discuss each speaker individually and the latest clip provided in the link below include some sound clips from each speaker playing the same song.  However each speaker is in a separate room with separate electronics so obviously not really a fair comparison but gives some idea on the different sounds.

It seems he picked these three speakers as he felt these were some of the best speakers at their respective price points.   The x3s are by far the lowest priced speakers while the Acoras are around 40K and the Magicos 70K which is a testament to Spatial that they are compared along with much more expensive speakers.

From the clips in my opinion the Acoras sound the best, the Spatials second and the Magicos third but of course listening live would be much different and regardless of which you prefer just the fact that the Spatials are compared to much more expensive speakers is noteworthy.  Audiophile Junkie even mentioned that many people would most likely prefer the Spatials and it all depended on taste and your room.

He also really likes the fact that the bass can be adjusted and set based on the listening room and preference which he felt was a great plus.

I've included a link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcJjzNzBig&t=3s

Daryl Zero

Re: Audiophile Junkie You Tube sound comparisons
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2022, 03:31 pm »
Saw that series happening and was hoping it was going to be more informative than it was. 

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2022, 11:27 pm »
I noticed Audiophile Junkie has posted a five part series on three speakers, The Magico S7, Acora SRC-2 and Spatial X3s.  The first three clips discuss each speaker individually and the latest clip provided in the link below include some sound clips from each speaker playing the same song.  However each speaker is in a separate room with separate electronics so obviously not really a fair comparison but gives some idea on the different sounds.

It seems he picked these three speakers as he felt these were some of the best speakers at their respective price points.   The x3s are by far the lowest priced speakers while the Acoras are around 40K and the Magicos 70K which is a testament to Spatial that they are compared along with much more expensive speakers.

From the clips in my opinion the Acoras sound the best, the Spatials second and the Magicos third but of course listening live would be much different and regardless of which you prefer just the fact that the Spatials are compared to much more expensive speakers is noteworthy.  Audiophile Junkie even mentioned that many people would most likely prefer the Spatials and it all depended on taste and your room.

He also really likes the fact that the bass can be adjusted and set based on the listening room and preference which he felt was a great plus.

I've included a link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcJjzNzBig&t=3s

Magico sounded really poor, but then he used different gear with each speakers so the demo was worthless really.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2022, 11:54 pm »
Plus the Spatial Audio Lab speaker sound sample had a ton of background noise.

mrotino332

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2022, 12:39 pm »
I agree that the comparison was not that meaningful as different rooms and different gear and yes the Spatial room was very noisy.  The Spatials were in the smallest room as well.

There is supposed to be a final fifth video, not sure what it will contain.

The second video I believe just discussed the X3 and he showed pictures of it.  I noticed the crossover parts on the back of that X3 were exposed and were located at the bottom area of the tweeter.  Not sure if all newer X3s and maybe X5s have the crossover parts external on the back like that.  My X5s which were manufactured in early 2020 has the crossover parts internal and not visible.

Mr. Big

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2022, 01:34 pm »
I agree that the comparison was not that meaningful as different rooms and different gear and yes the Spatial room was very noisy.  The Spatials were in the smallest room as well.

There is supposed to be a final fifth video, not sure what it will contain.

The second video I believe just discussed the X3 and he showed pictures of it.  I noticed the crossover parts on the back of that X3 were exposed and were located at the bottom area of the tweeter.  Not sure if all newer X3s and maybe X5s have the crossover parts external on the back like that.  My X5s which were manufactured in early 2020 has the crossover parts internal and not visible.

Sounds like there was a modification done. That be no way to release a speaker, sloppy looking.

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2022, 02:31 pm »
I used to think that there was some utility to microphone recordings of loudspeakers played back through Youtube. Then I saw a couple of videos where two microphones were set up to record simultaneously. The differences between the two microphones recording the same playback at the same time was massive.

Microphone/loudspeaker pairings are potentially more significant than loudspeaker/amp-preamp pairings. Sadly, I don't know that one can judge much from the Youtube comparisons, as entertaining as they may be.

If the audio is coupled with comments about perceived differences listening live, it then comes down to trusting the commenter. I think in very controlled cases it might be possible to illustrate differences between speakers where the presenter/commenter/reviewer can say "I hear this difference listening in person, and it comes through in this recording." I don't think that has as much value when only one loudspeaker is being discussed.

In the case of the video, the rooms and source equipment are different so there is even less useful information. As entertaining as it is, there's just nothing to base an opinion on. The presenter says he has another video discussing his impressions, but he still hasn't heard the speakers in comparable settings. Still, it is entertaining.

mrotino332

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:11 pm »
I agree it's not that useful and more just entertainment.  We'll see what he says in the later video when he gives his final thoughts on all three speakers.  I'm still not clear how he chose these three speakers for his you tube videos as they are in vastly different price ranges.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:15 pm »
A great speaker is a great speaker, regardless of price point. 

VERY expensive speakers usually spend an very large percentage of their cost by doing things to deal with the problems inherent in box speakers.  OB speakers have no box, so they can play with the big boys for a lot less $$.

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:17 pm »
In the second video, as noted above, he shows crossover modifications on the AMT dangling out the back (that is not how the speaker ships), and says the AMT is "horn loaded." Earl Geddes would not agree that simply having a modest wave guide makes the mid/tweeter "horn loaded." The shouty-ness that the presenter describes is also anomalous. The dangling alterations to the crossover and bad acoustics with loud background conversations in the room where he listened to the X3 do not give me much confidence in the accuracy of his listening impressions.

He also says that with open baffle speakers, "your room is your cabinet." That is also off the mark. The open baffle design eliminates the cabinet interactions inherent to bass reproduction in box speakers. The room does not replace or engage in those cabinet interactions that degrade bass reproduction. In addition, the dipolar nature of open baffle bass implemented by Spatial Audio in fact cancels out room interactions with bass that box speakers produce.

He also says that he prefers sealed-box bass.

Well, it's good to hear different opinions and perspectives, but he appears to be basing his impressions on listening to the speakers with different source equipment in different rooms at different times. That's sometimes all one can manage.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2022, 03:44 pm »

He also says that he prefers sealed-box bass.

This factor cannot be discounted.

I have 2 world class setups in my home, both are OB speaker systems.  People come over to listen to them semi-regularly.  About 70% of the time, people are blown away at how awesome it sounds.  30% of the time they are disappointed and not impressed at all.  That 30% of people strongly prefer the sound of box speakers, regardless of the quality level.  And that's fine, the world would be boring if everyone liked exactly the same things :)

aniwolfe

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2022, 04:34 pm »
I thought the Spatial's sounded pretty bad. Closed in and lots of top-end and bass. No realistic mids. My X2's don't sound like that in my room. See... this is the issue with Youtube recordings...BIG FAIL! You might as well just put a boombox in the room and record it.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2022, 06:23 pm »
Some people can do the YouTube thing well. When I was initially investigating these speakers, Brent LeVasseur was playing demos with the X5s on YouTube (he still has some videos up) and it sounded so good and was very instrumental in encouraging me to look for opportunities to hear/buy these speakers. Plus he usually has video-bombing cats.

Mr. Big

« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2022, 08:56 pm »
I thought the Spatial's sounded pretty bad. Closed in and has lots of top-end and bass. No realistic mids. My X2s don't sound like that in my room. See... this is the issue with Youtube recordings...BIG FAIL! You might as well just put a boombox in the room and record it.

Anyone can post on Youtube, it's the Facebook of videos...smile! Anyone with a phone camera can post opinions or just BS, playing any speaker with such a poor setup and match does a disservice to them all, the one speaker was bloated booming bass, well they all sounded like crap, to be honest, save my words this way, just crap.!!  :duh:

DaveWin88

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm »
I'm not a fan of people (reviewers) comparing box speakers with OB as they are two completely different product types. That being said, the Spatials are probably the best OB speaker available in the US. Also I really have an issue with comparing speakers at clearly significant different price points. I doubt anyone buying the X3 would even be looking at a pair close to $30,000 + I hear the Acora's are pretty bad ass :) for a box speaker.

Bingenito

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2022, 10:55 am »
I guess my POV differs in that I do not think he intends anyone to cross shop speaker A, B or C but to show the performance vs price at each bracket. From there you and your wallet can decide if 1.) there is any ROI for spending another $29-$62k. 2.) If you want to.

newzooreview

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2022, 01:57 pm »
but to show the performance

An Android phone recording uploaded to Youtube does not "show the performance" of the speakers, either within a price bracket or otherwise.

If you change microphones you get a very different apparent performance. It can easily sound like an entirely different loudspeaker. That is compounded by the headphones used to listen to the video. I've switched between two good quality headphones running from an external DAC listening to much higher quality videos than this guy makes (e.g., using professional microphones and stand-alone digital recorders). Changing headphones significantly changes the apparent performance of the speakers.

With the cheap phone microphone, he could record the X3s in three different rooms with three different systems and it would sound like three different speakers in three different price brackets.

Bingenito

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2022, 06:32 pm »
It is freedom of speech. We can all choose to watch his videos or not. I personally have no issue with his videos as they are 1 data point, not "The" data point.

If we want all YouTubers to have top shelf mics and control for variable conditions then they need to be compensated because that gear is very expensive.

Me I call this entertainment and take it all with a grain of salt.

Mr. Big

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2022, 07:24 pm »
It is freedom of speech. We can all choose to watch his videos or not. I have no issue with his videos as they are 1 data point, not "The" data point.

If we want all YouTubers to have top-shelf mics and control for variable conditions then they need to be compensated because that gear is very expensive.

I call this entertainment and take it all with a grain of salt.

To me, it really matters because what someone would see and hear on videos as poorly done as this would not put any of those speakers in a good light and I know I would never purchase any of them. Yes, we all have a right to free speech, but also that comes with responsibility. Learned that in grade school. When any video is done comparing products it should be consistent and well thought out. Reviewers get gear free to review and purchase at times, so they do try to show the gear in the best light. Don't mind a video on my gear if I designed them but they better do it right so as not to hurt my sales, anyone hearing the Spatial speakers or the others on this video would never buy them, and that hurts Clayton or whoever ever0. Either you are an experienced pro or you are not. The same goes for all the TV reviews, some don't know what they are talking about and even talk about settings that one are bad and a few could ruin the TV if you go into the service menu. Like I said responsibility. Peace.

Bingenito

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2022, 08:38 pm »
So we should hold audio youtubers to a higher standard than politicians and world leaders… got it!

Or maybe people are taking this a tad too seriously… not trying to start a flame war here it is just that he has the right to post, people can watch and if they collect other data points they will make a good decision. Everyone is responsible for their own actions… including purchase decisions.

Again lets all remember its just speakers.