Stax SRM-T1 Amp

Superdan138

Stax SRM-T1 Amp
« on: 12 Aug 2022, 11:09 pm »
Anybody had the chance to compare this to the newer versions of Stax' lineup? I have a modded T1 and am in love with it but there are no local places to test anything out for me. Just wanted some feedback on this, thanks!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Stax SRM-T1 Amp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2022, 10:13 am »
I'm not certain, but I think Steve Ford is the only other member with Stax headphones.  At least the only one posting regularly.  Perhaps he or someone else will weigh in.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2022, 06:37 pm »
I'm up to three pair now - they seem to multiply when you're not looking.
I have an SRM-T1S amp and an  SRM-006i II, both sound very similar.
I'm afraid I can't be of any help with their current offerings but I'm guessing they're going to sound very similar to their previous products.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2022, 08:09 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2022, 08:26 pm »
I did an experiment this morning with my ancient Stax Sigmas (normal not pro version):
they sounded horrible with the two Stax amps I have here with everything just very recessed, that was especially noticeable on vocals.
I plugged them into that Stax energizer box that's hooked up to the Conrad-Johnson and Sonic Frontiers gear and they sounded just great.
I don't know which headphones the OP has but for Sigmas forget headphone amps, they seem to like that energizer box.

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2022, 03:15 am »
I plugged them into that Stax energizer box that's hooked up to the Conrad-Johnson and Sonic Frontiers gear and they sounded just great.
I don't know which headphones the OP has but for Sigmas forget headphone amps, they seem to like that energizer box.

One of the hidden secrets in all of audio is a great tube amp (SET in my case) + Transformer (Stax energizer, etc).  Let's keep it quiet...

padam19

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2022, 07:59 am »
Other Stax amps aren't real upgrades over a modified T1.
If you want to move upwards, you are looking at aftermarket amps. A KGST is something that I would most like to compare.
Seems like a nice step forwards according to many while keeping some of the warmth in the sound that Stax hybrid amps are known for.

Recently acquired a KGSSHV Carbon, which is a whole different league with regards to power, but it's also a different sound.