Encore X-LS Amp

HT1278

Encore X-LS Amp
« on: 18 May 2022, 05:17 pm »
Would a McIntosh MC462 with 450 watts per channel be fine for the Encore X-LS speakers?  I am also looking at some PS Audio M700, and M1200 Amps as well. 

Do specs not matter because all companies determine them differently, and some companies might be less than transparent with the information they release.

Oscillate

Re: Encore X-LS Amp
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2022, 05:30 pm »
There is nothing wrong using a clean, higher power amplifier with the X-LS speakers.
Just don't turn the volume up beyond what you're hearing that the speakers can handle.
If you need more volume from your speakers, add one or more quality subwoofers and
that will make a world of difference in the presentation of your system.

I use B&O 1200AS2 class D amps and they're 600 w/ch. ...never an issue with the 5 X-CS
Encores I built :)

"and some companies might be less than transparent with the information they release."
Nooooooo! ...please say it just isn't so!

HT1278

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2022, 06:41 pm »
Since high current is what is preferred from what I understand do any manufacturers list current?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2022, 09:13 pm »
I can't speak to the Mac since I don't own that amp but I've had the PS Audio S300, M700s, and M1200s and have used them all with the X-LS Encores. All are excellent with the Encores. In addition to the Encores, I have used all three amps with the NX-Otica MTMs which are much more sensitive than the Encores.

While all three are very good amps, at the last Lone Star Audiofest both the X-LS Encores and NX-Otica MTMs in my room were powered by the S300 and considered excellent, moving up the line brings even better performance. Moving from the S300 stereo amp to the M700 monoblocks was a big step up in performance. Back and forth comparisons weren't needed. I did let the M700s burn in for about 50 hours before comparing them to the S300. About three months later I got the chance to be in on the hybrid (tube input stage/SS output stage) M1200 beta testing. I went into the beta testing intending to give them a workout and provide my feedback but not intending to keep them. For that to happen the M1200s would have to be better than the M700s and, when I was in the mood for tubes, my PrimaLuna Prologue 4 with NOS tubes. Right out of the box it was evident the M1200s  were up to the challenge. Like the M700s they took some time to burn in, about 200 hours with the M1200s before they stopped improving, but within two days the PrimaLuna was boxed up and traded in on the M1200s.

With the PS Audio Stellar amps, let your budget decide. At their respective price points any of the three amps will provide a very enjoyable listening experience. That said, if you have the budget for the M1200s, get those.

Mike