Klipsch RP-600C Network Question

owcraftsman

• Less is more when God is in it.
Klipsch RP-600C Network Question
« on: 16 May 2022, 05:10 pm »
Can someone confirm I'm heading in the right direction?

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: Klipsch RP-600C Network Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2022, 11:56 pm »
Using your physical layout of components I added wiring connections for you to compare against.

My wiring lines were fast and sloppy but hopefully sufficient for you to conmfirm your connections.

Feel free to text or email me if you have any other questions.

Elon

elon@ezeescrossovers.com

owcraftsman

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2022, 10:32 am »
Thank You @E-Zee
For PMing me and Texting with me
If I understand you correctly the circuit is correct but you took issue with my poor drawing. sorry about that. I will try to be more clear.
Check out the new drawing based on the one you sent me and tell me if you think I got it right.
Thanks again for all your help.

full size image here>> https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1225/BdGfbJ.png

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2022, 12:43 pm »
You have the circuit connected correctly, but the speakers aren't going to play. For those inductors to be in the circuit you need to strip the red varnish off of the ends so that you have a Copper wire to twist and solder to.

owcraftsman

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2022, 05:23 pm »
Solder I knew about the stripping I did not so, thank you for that. It doesn't appear to be a jacket on there so I assume a solvent strips it. What is recommended to use?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2022, 05:32 pm »
Its enamel so probably something like Xylene so long as you only dip the leads.
But its often easier to just use a razor blade or sandpaper to scrape/remove it.

owcraftsman

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2022, 06:16 pm »
Its enamel so probably something like Xylene so long as you only dip the leads.
But its often easier to just use a razor blade or sandpaper to scrape/remove it.

Thanks! sand paper sounds right. I'll try that. A little searching reveals that the copper is laminated some with clear and other like we get in the kit with red. Solvent may or may not completely get rid of the coating and sand paper with give good adhesion for the solder.

The coils came with quit a bit of length beyond the coil it self 6 inches or so on some of them and some are tinned with solder and some not. I will likely trim them a bit to minimize the size of the board.

I'm wondering, I assume it best to tin before twisting as that's the way the coils came or should I, once stripped just tightly twist connection then solder. The confusion comes when I hear in the videos, "solder is not the connection the twist is".

One final question, for the moment, will I affect the resistance by trimming a bit off the leads of the coil?

sorry for all the noob questions.

wingsounds13

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2022, 02:23 am »
I say tin before twisting.  This should provide better solder flow into the joint.  When tinning all you need is the thinnest layer that will flow over the surface, thicker is not better.  No, solder does not have the same conductivity as copper, but what I think is more important is a well sealed joint so there will be no oxidation in the joint with age. 

J.P.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2022, 01:20 pm »
Jump on YouTube and watch one of Danny’s build videos on crossovers. He does a great job of walking through the process of putting the crossover together. I don’t believe he has a build for this model but the mechanics of building it should carry over to your project.

owcraftsman

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2022, 10:23 pm »
Final Question based on the current config I will need a board 4.5" x 9.5".
Can anyone confirm that would fit?

I did re-watch the RP600M video series again Part 1 thru 5.
I did not see mentioned removing the lamination there, however
I did see the inductors need to roll into or away from the flat larger inductor.
Since I had to untwist the original I have augmented my layout just a bit.

original size images
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/2830/0TC7zs.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9519/ThhzTU.png

@wingsounds13 @Kaiju2189 @fre11111 @E-Zee @Hobbsmeerkat
Thanks for the replies and helpful advice. 

BTW I used emery cloth found in my plumbing kit to prep the Air Core inductor leads

Kaiju2189

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2022, 11:04 pm »
The inductors in the 600m videos were Erse inductors and not Solen. The Erse inductors did not have the lamination on the ends.