El34 tubes

Kw6

El34 tubes
« on: 17 Jan 2022, 07:09 am »
Hey everyone!

Are JJ El34 tubes reliable? I read they are best current production El34s? Thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: El34 tubes
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2022, 07:15 am »
JJ's are not particularly reliable.  IME, the best current production EL34 tubes are the Psvane EL34-PH.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm »
IME, the best current production EL34 tubes are the Psvane EL34-PH.

do you know what the PH refers to in EL34-PH?  thanks

Markwatkiss

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2022, 03:14 pm »
Before you make the leap I was not impressed with the EL34 PH.Of all the EL 34’s I’ve owned the Genalex Golden Lion KT 77 is the most accomplished.Covers all the bases in presenting a coherent sound stage.
Price for performance is hard to beat.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2022, 03:37 pm »
do you know what the PH refers to in EL34-PH?  thanks
according google Philips Holand.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2022, 05:01 pm »
Before you make the leap I was not impressed with the EL34 PH.Of all the EL 34’s I’ve owned the Genalex Golden Lion KT 77 is the most accomplished.Covers all the bases in presenting a coherent sound stage.

Haha, that's funny.  Because the Gold Lion KT77 is one of the few pentodes I really dislike the sound of. 

So I guess the lesson is that there's no agreement :P

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2022, 05:44 pm »

Agreed, GL KT77 is as good as or better than many NOS tubes. Not as reliable but also not as expensive.

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2022, 06:00 pm »
Agreed, GL KT77 is as good as or better than many NOS tubes. Not as reliable but also not as expensive.

I do have GL KT77 as I bought them as they get good reviews on the web. When I put them in my integrated they sound ok over the stock Pavane private lable black base for Cayin. Then I have been listening to other amps and then come back to Cayin and it was bright. Put back Psvane black base and is better. I don't like GL 12au7 either also bright. For El34 I only try new production like Mullard and Tungsol. They are better to my ears. Hoping Psvane metal base cut above the rest.

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2022, 06:02 pm »
Haha, that's funny.  Because the Gold Lion KT77 is one of the few pentodes I really dislike the sound of. 

So I guess the lesson is that there's no agreement :P

I agree with you Tyson!😊

Kw6

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2022, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for all your replies!😃

rotarius

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2022, 07:00 pm »
JJ power tubes still have a high failure rate so a lot of dealers won't carry them.  If you get them thoroughly tested, they should be fine.  Eurotubes seems to have a special relationship with the factory and might be getting better stock than others.  Great customer service.  The one failure I had from them was because of an amp issue and not the tube itself.  Yes, I liked the sound quality of the el34 family with the 6ca7 being the ones I liked best.  Way better than EH 6ca7.  The E34L seems to be the most rugged of the bunch and the KT77 the most extended. 
The tubes that are very reliable and surprisingly good sounding were the EH el34.  I liked them in my Jolida 3502.

AllynW

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2022, 07:51 pm »
I use Mullard EL-34's in my Jolida JD-1000A.  After changing out the stock Chinese tubes that came with the Jolida, I have never felt the need to try other EL-34 tubes.  I only get tubes from Upscale Audio which was a learned lesson.

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2022, 06:08 am »
JJ power tubes still have a high failure rate so a lot of dealers won't carry them.  If you get them thoroughly tested, they should be fine.  Eurotubes seems to have a special relationship with the factory and might be getting better stock than others.  Great customer service.  The one failure I had from them was because of an amp issue and not the tube itself.  Yes, I liked the sound quality of the el34 family with the 6ca7 being the ones I liked best.  Way better than EH 6ca7.  The E34L seems to be the most rugged of the bunch and the KT77 the most extended. 
The tubes that are very reliable and surprisingly good sounding were the EH el34.  I liked them in my Jolida 3502.

Yes I saw the reviews on Eurotubes. They probably test regularly and throw the duds away! Yeah read EH has good reliability and sounds decent!

Kw6

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2022, 06:09 am »
I use Mullard EL-34's in my Jolida JD-1000A.  After changing out the stock Chinese tubes that came with the Jolida, I have never felt the need to try other EL-34 tubes.  I only get tubes from Upscale Audio which was a learned lesson.

Upscale is very reputable! Thanks for sharing!