A Visit to Linear Tube Audio and the M3 Sapphires

newzooreview

A Visit to Linear Tube Audio and the M3 Sapphires
« on: 4 Jul 2021, 01:26 am »
I had the chance to visit Linear Tube Audio this afternoon and listen to the M3 Sapphires and three LTA amps. It was a real pleasure, and I thought I would share my impressions of the LTA amps and the M3s. I didn’t really think I would be writing up my thoughts on the visit, but it was so much fun I figured I would.

At the outset I would like to thank Nicholas of LTA for being so friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. He gave me a tour of the workshop behind the listening room, where everything is made and tested, and he was very kind to move cables back and forth so that I could compare amps easily.

First, the M3 Sapphires. I have a pair on order, coming likely in early August, and this was the first time that I had heard them in person. I currently have Harbeth 30.1 35th anniversary speakers, for reference. Three things struck me about the M3s.

One, they disappear. The room at LTA is not huge (14x12, I think.). The speakers were about 3 ½ feet out from the front wall, not way out into the room like on the New Record Day reviews on YouTube where Wilt Chamberlain could stretch out and take a nap behind them. The right speaker was about four feet from the shop’s bay window, with a curtain in front, looking out onto the sidewalk. There were some 2-3” thick panels on the front and rear walls and a ~6” panel on the floor on the front wall behind the speakers. The floor has an area rug on it, and seating is 7-8 feet from the speakers (which are 7-8 feet apart). All of which is to say that the M3s disappeared in a medium sized room without a studio engineer installing a complex mixture of room treatments. There’s nothing surprising about that given the design objectives of the M3s, but it was a lot of fun to hear it in action.

Two, they don’t punish you for being out of the sweet spot. The smooth and linear off-axis vertical and horizontal response and the bi-polar open baffle bass do the job. I moved from the sweet spot to a seat in front of the speaker on the right, and it was not yelling at me saying “I’m a loudspeaker.” The soundstage and holographic depth were not fully there, but the presentation did not collapse into one object emitting sound. There was still a larger field of music out in space, so for all the times when a glass of single malt by candlelight in the dialed-in comfy chair isn’t possible, the M3s still create a version of a sound stage in empty space. This is a fun and welcome benefit of open baffle and Spatial’s engineering of it.

Three, they inspire trust. The sound is coherent from bass to treble, tonally accurate, with a deep and wide soundstage, and I didn’t for a moment think that the M3s were interfering with what I was hearing or intruding themselves into the recording. This was a profound sensation. I’ve never listened to music without, at some level in the back of my mind, tracking one thing or another that the speaker might be doing to the sound. With the M3s I had the confident impression that they were fully capable of reproducing everything they were fed, from the texture and tone of the lowest bass up to the finest treble, and they were simply re-creating the music recorded.

The M3s made the LTA amps easy to compare.

We listened to three LTA integrated amps: the Z10, the Ultralinear, and the Z40 Reference—all current-production versions. Again, these were the integrated amp versions with remote controlled ladder resistor-based volume controls (click, click, click) in each. Nicholas had a dB meter on the table by the listening chair so I could tweak the volume after he switched amps to minimize any differences due to loudness.

The Z10. The Z10 sounded excellent, but both the Z40 and Ultralinear amps provided a bit more detail and separation. I spent the rest of the time comparing the Z40 and Ultralinear. That’s not at all a criticism of the Z10, but hearing a side-by-side improvement I wanted to zero in on whether I preferred the Z40 or the Ultralinear as an upgrade from my Benchmark AHB2 once the M3s break in.

I listened to a selection of music files that I brought, played through the Lampizator DAC (not sure which flavor, but it’s huge and has a big bottle tube sticking up in the middle) controlled via Roon on a tablet. The music was classical (orchestral and piano), jazz, New Orleans R&B, and live rock. I brought a variety that I’m familiar with and listen to regularly, including a few things that always sound off or problematic to me.

The Ultralinear compared to the Z40 Reference. For my ears, with the music I brought, in the LTA room, I settled on the Z40 Reference. A couple of things led me to that conclusion. First, on an orchestral piece the Z40 placed an oboe in the orchestra very precisely and with natural tone. There was an oboe in one point in space, sounding like an oboe. The Ultralinear presented the same oboe to me (which is down in the mix and not obvious) with a bit of a “golden glow” around it and not as precisely placed in the orchestra pit. These are subtle differences, but I was looking to make a choice.

Nicholas accommodated me in switching back and forth for several tracks. Another thing that tipped my preference towards the Z40 was vocals. On Mother Nature’s Son from the White Album, the Z40 let me hear a bit more of the subtle complexity of the vocal—it gave me the impression that I could see Paul McCartney purse his lips to make an ohhh sound. This is the kind of thing that sounds nonsensical in audio reviews, but still it’s the impression I had.

Going back and forth I found myself forgetting the equipment and listening to the music with the Z40, and with the Ultralinear I was more frequently listening for the slight prettying bloom that it imparted here and there.

As a match to the M30s in a small-medium room, the Z40 seemed ideal, but I could see the Ultralinear being someone else’s first choice, maybe with the X3s in a larger room where the subtle way the amp brings things a bit forward (not in a bad way) and gives just the slightest bit of color to things might really work well in the larger space. It’s clear why LTA would make two amps at the top of their range.

LTA is handmaking amps with care, and my trip to their place made it clear why they’ve been working with Spatial Audio Lab. When the M3s settle in, I expect I will be getting in touch with Nicholas about the Z40.

Happy listening!  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: A Visit to Linear Tube Audio and the M3 Sapphires
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2021, 01:31 am »
Any photo ?

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2021, 01:36 am »
Any photo ?

No–I wasn't thinking about writing anything when I went over there, so I didn't take any photos.  :duh:

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2021, 01:41 am »
Fantastic job writing this up  :thumb:

Wish I'd listened to the Z40 before I committed to the Ultralinear, as it would have been interesting to compare on the X5's.

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2021, 03:25 am »
I live near LTA and have been to their shop many times. I have also owned, or still own, a number of their products, including MZ2, Z10 amp, MZ Preamp with Ultralinear amp, and now Z10 Integrated. I currently use the Z10i for my X5's and have kept the MZ2 for headphone listening.

At the beginning of last year I had the MZ Pre and the Ultralinear amp for use with some Omega Audio High Output Single driver speakers. For some crazy reason I decided to sell of everything from my DAC on down and get a pair of KEF LS50 Mk2's which were supposed to be Roon Ready "Coming Soon". After many months of waiting for Roon certification and missing the remarkable quality of the LTA gear I got the vendor to take the KEFs back.

I decided to return to LTA and worked with Mark, Nicholas and Clayton to get some rewarding sound. My original plan was to buy some M3's and the Ultralinear Integrated. In the LTA shop I liked the aliveness of the el84 Z10i over the precision and spooky clarity of the Ultralinear. Speaking with Clayton changed my mind to go with the more expensive X5 which has a powered bass driver and the remarkable Heil tweeter. I figured that I would save a bit of money with the Z10i and use it to go up a notch to the X5.

I got my X5's this week and already am impressed with their capability. They are not yet broken in but already sound better than any of my previous gear.

I am currently using an MHDT Orchid DAC that I got from LTA but also bought a Denefrips Pontus to try out.

It would be hard to find a better system than with LTA/Spatial or better folks to work with than Mark, Nicholas, and Clayton.

franSSS

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2021, 10:25 am »
I had the chance to visit Linear Tube Audio this afternoon and listen to the M3 Sapphires and three LTA amps. It was a real pleasure, and I thought I would share my impressions of the LTA amps and the M3s. I didn’t really think I would be writing up my thoughts on the visit, but it was so much fun I figured I would.

Happy listening!  :thumb:

I too have enjoyed your comparison immensely. :popcorn: Direct unbiased appraisal by a prospective client is of great value! esp when one is committed on the Spatial LTA combination. More so if one is not in the position to take a drive on over to yonder show room and listen for one self between the units.

Did you at anytime listen to the "special deal combination"? The Special " The M3 + z10 + amber 3 dac + anticables? If so your feelings on the combination? If not we demand you go back and review for us.  :lol: :oops:

The reason why i want to know is sometimes there is synergy between components. Taking the best of one and paring it with the best of another can have deleterious effects. i often think there is a reason why Clayton shows the above combination for a substantial period of time. Perhaps also why many reviewers rate them at the very top of sound awards at a couple of audio shows. Surely he must have tried the Z40 in this package combination as well? Seems to me he must have carefully considered his options. I mean when you go to show, you go to show. Meaning Spatial must rock up with what they consider the best combination? So in essence i am keen to know if there will be a marked improvement when one upgrades the "package to the Z40?

Joke aside, i really found your review most informative. Thank you for taking the time to do this write up! Looking forward to your possible feedback

geerock

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2021, 02:13 pm »
I use the LTA Ref 40 amp with a Don Sachs pre and love the combo.  There are several differences from the Ref 40 amp compared to the Ref 40 integrated.  A big one for me being those NOS Mullard el34 power tubes in the amp.  Those el34 are one of the sweetest sounding tubes to ever come out.  And combined with the DS pre with those excellent 6sn7's just projects such a large and deep soundstage that every now and then I still am just amazed while sitting and enjoying music. I've had several combos powering my X5's and, for me, tubes definitely bring out the best in them. And BTW, my interconnectsand speaker cables are Anticables with High Fidelity Cables adapters. 

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2021, 03:45 pm »
Hi, franSSS,

Thanks. I didn't visit LTA with the notion of reviewing things beyond a personal interest in the amp-only options. However, we did use the integrated versions of the Z10, Z40, and Ultralinear because controlling the volume by remote was easy, and the pre-amp section is consistent across the group, allowing a fair comparison.

So, I did hear the M3 Sapphire + Z10 integrated + Amber 3 DAC + Anticables. I assume that LTE doesn't have multiple varieties of Lampizator DACs, so likely I was listening to the combination that they used in their audio show rooms. It sounded terrific. I listened to the Z10 integrated first, and I could tell right off the bat that I was going to enjoy things.

I owned the first version of the MicroZOTL back in grad school (a blue shoebox with a glass window in the front and vent holes on top). It had such a pure, clean, non-fatiguing, detailed sound that I listened at much higher volume than I realized at first on my Sennheiser HD-600s. The MicroZOTL demanded very good tubes because you're hearing everything the tube is doing with no degradation from an output transformer. The Z10 had this same clarity and purity, and I can understand how it was so well received playing with the M3s at audio shows. Heard on its own that combination is a joy.

However, to my ears both the Ultralinear and the Z40 opened up the soundstage a bit better, delineated instruments a bit better, and let me hear deeper into the recording a bit better. I went into it thinking I might prefer the Ultralinear, but as I said above I ended up preferring the Z40 for the subtle differences to my ears, with those tracks, in that room, etc.

If I had to speculate, I think that the Z10 integrated has been used in shows because it does sound terrific, without hesitation, and it demonstrates a number of things: you can have a full system for ~$10,000 that costs less than a lot of loudspeakers alone and sounds obviously better than them; the M3S's efficiency really does allow a ~12 watt tube amp to give you a glorious presentation at any safe volume level, and if you are gravitating towards simplicity the one-box Z10 and the thin, attractive M3S's mean you don't have to compromise on sound if you want to avoid a mad scientist's lab of a stereo setup. The implied statement is then: this is what the M3S's can give you at modest (for audiophile stuff) cost, so you might imagine what is possible with a bit more refinement (e.g., a higher cost). If you bring the Ultralinears setup as monoblocks and the MicroZOTL preamp and $2,000 in cables then no matter how glorious it sounds at the show you have missed the opportunity to illustrate just how good the M3s and LTA equipment can be without yacht-level cost.

I doubt that folks at LTA, who seem to be committed to careful engineering and hand-building amps for a discerning group of customers would sell not one but two amps more expensive than the Z10 if they didn't hear and measure meaningful differences. Whether those differences tickle your pickle is an individual decision. I suspect most people would hear the improvements the Ultralinear and Z40 make over the Z10, but that might not be true in every case. I'm just one data point.

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2021, 03:48 pm »
Never mind; deleted all quote tags in the editor and fixed it.  :scratch:

[Original post: I'm not sure why my new post above appeared as a quote. The quote tags are not spanning my text in the editing box. Oh well, just noting that it is a reply to franSSS in case the formatting obscures that.]

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2021, 04:20 pm »
Fantastic job writing this up  :thumb:

Wish I'd listened to the Z40 before I committed to the Ultralinear, as it would have been interesting to compare on the X5's.

Thanks. I was thinking as I was listening at LTA that the Ultralinear might be excellent with the the X5s (which I have not heard in person) in a large room where the Ultralinear might bring the soundstage just a bit forward (but still holographic in the space behind the speakers and not in your lap) and delineate instruments//voices in a subtle way that gives a bit more live feel to things in a larger space. Or with the X5's in your room, subtle differences other than what I was hearing would be more meaningful.

It would be hard to claim there's an objectively better choice.

franSSS

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2021, 05:12 pm »
Hi, franSSS,

So, I did hear the M3 Sapphire + Z10 integrated + Amber 3 DAC + Anticables. I assume that LTE doesn't have multiple varieties of Lampizator DACs, so likely I was listening to the combination that they used in their audio show rooms. It sounded terrific. I listened to the Z10 integrated first, and I could tell right off the bat that I was going to enjoy things.

Thank you once more for your speedy feedback. Makes a lot of sense. I will digest this over the course of the next couple of days.

Very kind of you to take so much time to explain in detail how you perceived the different components.

newzooreview

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2021, 05:22 pm »
Thank you once more for your speedy feedback. Makes a lot of sense. I will digest this over the course of the next couple of days.

Sure thing.

In some things audio there seem to be definitive answers (e.g., open-baffle bipolar bass is much better than box-speaker bass unless you have an exceptionally specialized room that levels the playing field).

In other things the answers are likely more subjective so a variety of data and perspectives can help in the absence of being able to listen in person.

Happy 4th of July and happy listening.  :thumb:

doggie

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2021, 05:23 pm »
I doubt that folks at LTA, who seem to be committed to careful engineering and hand-building amps for a discerning group of customers would sell not one but two amps more expensive than the Z10 if they didn't hear and measure meaningful differences. Whether those differences tickle your pickle is an individual decision. I suspect most people would hear the improvements the Ultralinear and Z40 make over the Z10, but that might not be true in every case. I'm just one data point.

I should add to my post above that having owned the Ultralinear amp and having auditioned both the Z10 Integrated and the Ultralinear Integrated with M3 Sapphires at LTA I would say that the differences between these two amps were not a matter of one being better, just different. LTA/Berning designs are all top notch and more alike than not. I could have afforded the more expensive Ultralinear but simply found that the Z10i was just more engaging.

That being the case I decided that for roughly the same purchase price I could get either the Ultralinear Integrated with the M3's or the Z10 integrated with the X5's. I also liked the idea that the X5's are basically bi-amped, removing the heavy lifting from the speaker amp.

BTW. LTA demoed their equipment with an MDHT Orchid NOS tube DAC which they also sell.

franSSS

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2021, 06:33 pm »

I should add to my post above that having owned the Ultralinear amp and having auditioned both the Z10 Integrated and the Ultralinear Integrated with M3 Sapphires at LTA I would say that the differences between these two amps were not a matter of one being better, just different. LTA/Berning designs are all top notch and more alike than not. I could have afforded the more expensive Ultralinear but simply found that the Z10i was just more engaging.

Thank you for the feedback. I like the idea you found the Z10i more engaging.:-) That is what i am looking for in music. Engagement. I find so many system are "nice". Nice but lacks soul and engagement.

Zuman

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2021, 01:40 am »
My system is significantly different than yours, but I've been enjoying music via a range of high-end components for 40 years now. I have just one thing to say, NewZooReview: Even though your profile says you're not a reviewer, if I owned an audiophile magazine I'd do my best to recruit you as one.

newzooreview

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2021, 03:49 am »
My system is significantly different than yours, but I've been enjoying music via a range of high-end components for 40 years now. I have just one thing to say, NewZooReview: Even though your profile says you're not a reviewer, if I owned an audiophile magazine I'd do my best to recruit you as one.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

franSSS

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2021, 07:04 am »

But i think he just might be a bit of a reviewer :-) if you look at him name. :-)  Yep, I really enjoy how he crystallizes ideas and concepts.