Organ music and Spatial speakers - How to play this music?

Desertpilot

• Retired
I recently downloaded a beautiful organ music album.  "Whitlock: Organ Sonata", Base2 Music - Base2-09.  Original Recording Format PCM 24/384 kHz but I downloaded the DSD 256 version.  I own the X3s.  I can not play the album, the X3s simply cannot handle the low bass notes (reaching down to 16 Hz).  I have two other subwoofers, SVS SB13 Ultras, but they won't play that low either.

How do folks deal with this?

Marcus

abomwell

Re: Organ music and Spatial speakers - How to play this music?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2021, 02:09 pm »
If I'm thinking correctly (not common) it would take a 70' room length to fully support the fundamental of a 16Hz frequency. What is the length of your room?

Al

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2021, 02:22 pm »
If I'm thinking correctly (not common) it would take a 70' room length to fully support the fundamental of a 16Hz frequency. What is the length of your room?

Al

Ha!  I'm at 30 feet long.  But the X3 subwoofers really "rattle" and "chuff" at those frequencies.

Marcus

abomwell

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2021, 04:44 pm »
Marcus, based on the half wavelength theory mentioned in the article in the last post, your 30' room would support an 18.8Hz wavelength. (1130'/second, divided by 30' room length = full wavelength, divided by 2 = half wavelength)

Al

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2021, 08:12 pm »
Not gonna happen.  The only speaker I've ever heard even come close to reproduction of that tone is an organ speaker.  Specifically those found in Leslie Tone cabinets that were (and still are) popular for old Hammond B3's and some of the newer electronic Hammonds, whose tone is synthetic as compared to the older classic B3's.  You can look into commercial dial special made organ speakers but not sure how you would integrate into a stereo setup.  Also...be very careful.  That tone causes an immense throw by the woofer to the point that you risk tearing the cone from the basket.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2021, 09:06 pm »
Not gonna happen.  The only speaker I've ever heard even come close to reproduction of that tone is an organ speaker.  Specifically those found in Leslie Tone cabinets that were (and still are) popular for old Hammond B3's and some of the newer electronic Hammonds, whose tone is synthetic as compared to the older classic B3's.  You can look into commercial dial special made organ speakers but not sure how you would integrate into a stereo setup.  Also...be very careful.  That tone causes an immense throw by the woofer to the point that you risk tearing the cone from the basket.

Thanks for the info.  I figured speaker damage might happen so I quickly turned off the album.  I think one of my media players, JRiver or ROON, lets me assign a crossover and will "delete" sound below the crossover.  I may try that.

Marcus

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2021, 01:33 am »
Roon has several filters that will help you with that.  I have roon with tidal masters and love it.

jacklee

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2021, 07:52 am »
I like organ music too. The pedals are indeed very challenging to reproduce.

Even those well-regarded subs like the JL Audio F series could not reproduce the lowest pedals. Plus, 16 Hz is not really audible - it can only be felt by our body (or via flapping trousers, shaking sofa, etc).

I ended up using a pair of the Funk Audio sealed subs with the 18" LMS Ultra 5400 drivers, driven by a 3KW/ch pro amp. It measures down to around 14 Hz (w/ PEQ applied) but even with those, reproducing such low freq notes does not even come close to the real thing. The wave propagation and interference patterns are simply not the same in a (relatively) small listening room as others have mentioned.

Nonetheless, subs are fun to have, especially for the multi-channel audios in movies.

My go-to test disc is this: https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Grove-French-Spectaculars-Auditorium/dp/B000028D4G

abomwell

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2021, 11:54 am »
A great recording for organ and chorus is the John Rutter Requiem/ Anthems on Reference Recordings. https://imgur.com/30JqKEy

Al

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2021, 12:46 pm »
You might need one of these

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2021, 02:12 pm »
You might need one of these

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/

Ha!  Just what I need, more subwoofers.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Interesting tech.

Marcus

paolocaminiti

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2021, 11:20 am »
I think the dual/triple ob servo subs from gr-research can go under 20hz. You would have to check with Clayton or Danny if that could be a good match.