M3 SAPPHIRE TWEET/MID BLOWN

dallaire1

M3 SAPPHIRE TWEET/MID BLOWN
« on: 25 Jun 2021, 09:54 pm »
Hello fella's thought I needed to throw this out and see if anyone else has had the MID/TWEET M100 fail at moderate to high listening levels ? I know that is a loaded subjective question. Anyway I have had the M3'S now for a few months and have just gotten to the point where I think they really are a world class speaker. The break in period was a little rocky but Clayton laid it down for me regarding break in and he nailed it. I have heard a "clicking" out of the right M100 since I received them, only a couple times and disregarded it as "in the recording" or "break in". I'm almost convinced this driver had something that may have gotten missed at QC as I have never felt the M3's stressed in any way ! I'm driving the M3's with the NAD M33 MASTERS SERIES integrated amp 200watts per channel. Power is clean, connections are tight. Checked for impeadance, its OPEN. other speaker 7.1 ohms.

I'll of course give Clayton a shout and see where it goes. I'm not worried about it with the way Clayton does things, just shocked and dismayed  :(

jjss49

Re: M3 SAPPHIRE TWEET/MID BLOWN
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:00 pm »
my m3 sapphires have been fine, no issues

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:48 pm »
I use a 400 watt McIntosh amp that is powered by a 7 gage Pangea 9SEMkii power cord that can really deliver current to this amp, in fact, they work so well together, I have forgotten to turn the volume down and really got hit with loud music and never had an issue with the woofers or the tweeters. If you play it louder than what I've heard god bless you, but another thing to consider perhaps your amp was not able to drive the M3 at the levels you enjoy that could cause a tweer to fry. So to hear this happened to you, but I must say the M3's can play loud, much louder than I could listen to for a long period of time. Rule#1 each recording sounds right at one loudness level, once I get a feeling they are in my room with weight and presences I back off the volume a touch or turn it up a touch and see which setting sounds the best, once I hit it I sit back and enjoy this fine speaker.

Chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:22 am »
What db listening levels? I've blown a tweeter with some powerful amplifiers before I really understood how loud I was listening to stuff... My ears have thanked me over the years :wink:

If you don't have a mic, just use a free program on your phone. They'll get you in the ball park.

But you said you heard it from the get go, so... :dunno:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:28 am »
Amplifier clipping is by far the most likely cause of a tweeter getting blown.

dallaire1

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2021, 11:55 am »
Thanks for the replies fella's. I'm quite certain the "right side M100" had some factory issues I should have brought it to Clayton's attention the first "click" sound I heard. I don't know the actual Db level I was playing them at but I will say I have never pushed any of my audio gear to levels of audible distress, not even close. The M33 has tons of headroom for my listening taste. What really is a let down to me is these were a matched pair "new" at break in. Now when M100 is replaced. They will not sound the same for some time. It literally took a couple months for these speakers to settle in and mellow. Going to email Clayton today for some direction. I just noticed, as I am new to this particular forum that Clayton facilitates this section, but will email him this week for some direction.
Thanks 

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2021, 01:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies fella's. I'm quite certain the "right side M100" had some factory issues I should have brought it to Clayton's attention the first "click" sound I heard. I don't know the actual Db level I was playing them at but I will say I have never pushed any of my audio gear to levels of audible distress, not even close. The M33 has tons of headroom for my listening taste. What really is a let down to me is these were a matched pair "new" at break in. Now when M100 is replaced. They will not sound the same for some time. It literally took a couple months for these speakers to settle in and mellow. Going to email Clayton today for some direction. I just noticed, as I am new to this particular forum that Clayton facilitates this section, but will email him this week for some direction.
Thanks
For this situation you might be better served to just call him to discuss options. He will work with you and make it right.

fwinston

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2021, 02:55 pm »
Have you ruled out that other components may be causing the clicking sound?  Have you tried reversing the left and right channel speaker connections on the amp? 

If you do this and the clicking sound is then heard from the other speaker that suggests it's not the speaker causing the problem.  If the clicking sound still occurs in the same speaker after reversing the left and right channels then it is being caused by the speaker.

dallaire1

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2021, 06:40 pm »
I haven't tried switching the leads on the amp, really wanted to bounce things off of Clayton first. I did however e-mail Clayton to give him the low down. Haven't heard back yet, but its the weekend anyway so don't expect to hear at least till Monday. I did consider it could be in the crossover possibly as well but again want to speak to Clayton first. I sure hope I don't have to ship the entire speaker back as I had to get rid of the boxes after a couple months as they were taking up a huge amount of room in the garage.

I will follow up with info as it becomes known to me. Felt a little weird even posting this but I think it could be important to other members possibly ?? I know Clayton makes amazing speakers for sure !! Again, think I'm just surprised and bummed out about it.
Thanks guy's !

sockpit

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2021, 07:18 pm »
You won’t have to ship speakers back.  M100 is a breeze to swap out!  I would swap your wires and see if the click moves to other speaker, if that’s the only symptom or issue.  That way you’ll know for sure if it’s something Clayton needs to help you with.

dallaire1

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2021, 11:11 pm »
Well just got home from running some errands and received a call from Utah, it was Clayton doing what he does ! taking the time out of his weekend to take care of his customers ! Sending me a PAIR of new tweeters. He's even going to let them run for a day to give them a little break in and QC them solid. Spatial Audio and Clayton are just what the world needs to get back to as far as I'm concerned. Not many companies would just take care of something like this without argument and hours spend on the phone with "prompts" and bullshit customer service handoffs ! I think we both came to the conclusion it was in fact a fatly driver that slipped through only because it was extremely intermittent issue. Props to Spatial Audio. 

Thanks Clayton, appreciate you!!

dallaire1

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2021, 11:17 pm »
Your correct Sockpit, the 4 screws and the driver is out ! I did not play with switching cables around, I sure am hoping it's nothing more than a undetected faulty build at Peerless. I have have a couple bad Scan-Speak tweets out of the box years ago.

sockpit

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2021, 12:39 am »
👍 well, that’s just how Clayton is. I oughta know.  Have replaced a pair myself, and it was my fault  :duh:

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2021, 02:22 am »
Well just got home from running some errands and received a call from Utah, it was Clayton doing what he does ! taking the time out of his weekend to take care of his customers ! Sending me a PAIR of new tweeters. He's even going to let them run for a day to give them a little break in and QC them solid. Spatial Audio and Clayton are just what the world needs to get back to as far as I'm concerned. Not many companies would just take care of something like this without argument and hours spend on the phone with "prompts" and bullshit customer service handoffs ! I think we both came to the conclusion it was in fact a fatly driver that slipped through only because it was extremely intermittent issue. Props to Spatial Audio. 

Thanks Clayton, appreciate you!!

It’s great when the good guys also make the best products isn’t it?