Omnia WR-1

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
Omnia WR-1
« on: 30 Apr 2020, 08:52 am »
Hello everyone, I hope you're all well.

I just received my Omnia WR-1, I will install it tomorrow because it's a holiday in France.  8)

In the meantime I stumbled upon one of the rare reviews of the beast !  :thumb:

DeepL is your friend!

https://www.hfc.com.pl/test/4174,nuprime-omnia-wr-1.html

giordy60

Re: Omnia WR-1
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2020, 01:44 pm »
the WR1 is simply amazing!
Jason and his team did an incredible job.

PBN94F

• Esprit-Racing
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2020, 04:32 pm »
Good evening,

Associated with the AMG PRA i am delighted!

I need to see how to use sources on the internet ... anybody know quality internet broadcasters ... free of charge ?

Already without reading the fucking manual it works!

The Android application works great, I find it's more stable, faster and less consuming on my phone than the HEOS from Marantz !

Thanks Nuprime !

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2020, 07:28 am »
By the way, NuPrime Omnia WR-1 and a few other brands (Harmon International, many European and Chinese brands) use the same streaming module, similar to what you see in Google Chromecast Audio, Apple Airplay.  So you might discover that compatibility with other devices out there. We don't really know exactly what are compatible with WR-1.

But there is a lot of differences in the design and implementation around the module. The streaming module handles the communication between the devices (grouping, passing of data, identification, etc) and with the app, connect to the online music services. The performance and quality of the device is largely depending on the rest of the circuit and features around the streaming module, such as power circuit, noise filter, volume control/preamp, DAC chip, inputs/outputs, EQ, etc.

pewe

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2021, 09:57 am »
I'm completely new to streamers so bear with me but I have a few questions about the Nuprime WR-1 which I'm about to connect with coaxial to use the dac in my Nuprime DAC-9.

* Can you play stored music from an external hard-drive to the WR-1, connected with an usb-cable? (A USB-stick seems to work if you don't exceed 32 GB according to the manual). Can this be done wireless as well?

* I will use my Samsung A70 android phone as a source for Spotify Premium (and probably my laptop as well).  But can you also play any app I have downloaded through the WR-1, like internet radio stations and Youtube?

* Is there a WR-2 in the works, preferable with USB output?

* how much  difference does a separate powersupply have on sound quality from the WR-1?

Sorry for the noob questions but you have to start somewhere. :wink:
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2021, 11:44 am by pewe »

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2021, 08:13 pm »
Can you play stored music from an external hard-drive to the WR-1, connected with an usb-cable? (A USB-stick seems to work if you don't exceed 32 GB according to the manual). Can this be done wireless as well?

WR-1 has limit on the size of the external drive. The App was designed to access streaming music and DLNA devices (album art, title, etc) and in the early version the access and format support for the connected drive was not good. Later version of the app seems to have improved. And you can stream the music from local drive to other WR-1. Just don't expect to turn WR-1 into a full featured music server. If you have a large collection of local music, invest in a NAS (Synology) or run the music server from your computer.

I will use my Samsung A70 android phone as a source for Spotify Premium (and probably my laptop as well).  But can you also play any app I have downloaded through the WR-1, like internet radio stations and Youtube?

Read this guide and let us know if and how we can improve it:
https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/wireless-audio-technology-guide/

Is there a WR-2 in the works, preferable with USB output?
I assume that you are asking if we plan to have a WR-2 that can accept USB audio from a computer.
This feature is available in the Omnia A300. Integrating USB audio into a streamer will substantially increase the cost and it is not a high demand feature. You can combine Hi-mDAC (which has optical output) with WR-1.

how much  difference does a separate powersupply have on sound quality from the WR-1?
Surprisingly many people has said that using a linear power supply significantly improve the sound. I think it depends on the rest of your components.  The quality of the audio system as well as the music recording have much greater impact on the sound quality than the sample rate. So if your WR-1 is connected to an entry level active speaker, then don't bother to upgrade to LPS-205.

Actually instead of upgrading to LPS-205, you can get better performance with DAC-9 and Stream Mini (MSRP t.b.d., less than $300).
Stream Mini (24-bit/192kHz streaming) is a new product coming out in August.  It is designed to connect and power by the Nuprime digital port.  So you would plugin Stream Mini to the type-A port of DAC-9.  Stream Mini does not have analog output, or any other inputs, it is purely for connecting with Nuprime components that support the digital port (it is basically SPDIF with 5V power).

The ultimate performance upgrade is to use Stream-9 with DAC-9.

pewe

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2021, 07:41 pm »
Wow, thank you for a good answer! Much appreciated. My system consist of a DAC-9 and one STA-9 paired with Mark&Daniel Maximus Monitor speakers, works great. The Stream Mini sounds interesting and would be an ideal product for me since I'm looking for a streamer without DAC to keep the price down.  But just to be clear: it is a streamer with no DAC?

Do you mean that the USB input on the DAC-9 supplies  power and at the same time is a input for the Stream Mini? At https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/dac-9/ I see a port marked "U3". Is that the one?

Also, any preview pictures of the Stream Mini?
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2021, 06:49 am by pewe »

patmania

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2021, 11:33 am »
Do you mean that the USB input on the DAC-9 supplies  power and at the same time is a input for the Stream Mini? At https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/dac-9/ I see a port marked "U3". Is that the one?
Yes, i use the same connection from my DAC-9 to a WR-1. Works like a charm and saves you a power- and a toslink cable.