Comparing Cherry MEGAschino MONO MK2 vs PS Audio Stellar M700 Mono

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Just the specs first....  We can compare other factors later, such as subjective sound quality and price.

Power Output, continuous power per channel into 4Ω
  PS Audio: 700W
  Cherry: 800W

THD+N, 10W into 8Ω
  PS Audio: unknown (rated < 0.02% at 1W)
  Cherry: 0.001%

SNR, A-weighted
  PS Audio: 105dB
  Cherry: 120dB

Damping Factor
  PS Audio: >1100 at 50Hz only
  Cherry: >400 at 0Hz-1kHz, >200 at 10kHz

Frequency Response
  PS Audio: 10Hz to 50kHz (AC coupled)
  Cherry: 0Hz to 150kHz (DC coupled)

Input Impedance
  PS Audio: 100k
  Cherry: 20k

Input Sensitivity
  PS Audio: 1.6V
  Cherry: 3.2V

Weight
  PS Audio: 13 lbs
  Cherry: 40 lbs

Ric Schultz

The PS Audio M700s are $3K a pair (lots of used ones available for way less).....Megachino Mono amps are $9800 the pair.  The PS Audio M1200s are $6K a pair and put out 1200 watts into 4 ohms.  A dual mono stereo Rouge Audio Design Studio N-10DM uses these same 1200 watt mono modules and costs $1550 delivered.  Lots of things can be compared......but if they are in such different price points it does not make sense as these would be for different people.  And naturally, the specs sometimes do and sometimes do not have something to do with the subjective sound.

Endo2112

• Particularist
I'm betting that there are lots available for less due the SNR @ 105, that is not very good for a current class D design.

Don

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
The PS Audio M700s are $3K a pair (lots of used ones available for way less).....Megachino Mono amps are $9800 the pair.  The PS Audio M1200s are $6K a pair and put out 1200 watts into 4 ohms.  A dual mono stereo Rouge Audio Design Studio N-10DM uses these same 1200 watt mono modules and costs $1550 delivered.  Lots of things can be compared......but if they are in such different price points it does not make sense as these would be for different people.  And naturally, the specs sometimes do and sometimes do not have something to do with the subjective sound.
Cherry products use proprietary technology and are Made in USA.

We design our amplifiers down to the smallest component on the board.  We use the best components, which are expensive.  We make our MEGAschino chassis from 16 gauge cold-rolled steel.  We don't use pre-fab modules from some other company.  We don't mass produce thousands of units at a time.  Our hardware is hand built per order.

But....  You are correct in that it's all about the sound!  Even our least expensive amps (we sell Stereo Maraschinos for under $1000 frequently, email Support@DigitalAmp.com for our current specials) use the same proprietary technology and techniques as used in our 5-figure priced fully upgraded MEGA MONOs!

Yes, there are less expensive amplifiers, but they're NOT Cherry!

RDavidson

I'm betting that there are lots available for less due the SNR @ 105, that is not very good for a current class D design.

Don

Eh. Maybe, but kinda doubt it. They are almost dead quiet in my experience and that's with ears inches from the speakers. I agree that it's a data point and really doesn't tell the story. People change gear all the time just to try different things. I once met a guy who changed speakers almost weekly and we're talking large speakers, not monitors or something. He also changed other gear (including amps) probably monthly. While he's a bit of an extreme example, there are many folks out there who swap gear, including amps, a few times a year. I admit I have yet to try Cherry amps myself, but I have read nothing but good things. I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point...and one would see my former amp for sale somewhere as I can't stockpile stuff, even though sometimes I wish I could. Variety is the spice of life. :D

dpatters

So what is the point of this comparison?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
   :dunno: :scratch:
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2021, 01:07 am by opnly bafld »

dpatters

Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblock
Freq response 0-2.5MHz (+/- 3db)(DC Coupled)
THDN:<0.5%(-80db)
S/N Ratio: >130db A weighted
Power:250 watts RMS 8 ohm
Slew Rate: 200 V /us (rise time <300ns)
Input Impedance: 51k ohm
Weight: 17kg
MSRP: $3498.00

Just saying. Doesn’t mean anything if they don’t sound great.

RDavidson

AmpDesigner333 said in the original post that this is just part 1 of the overall comparisson. I think it makes sense to just lay the numbers on the table as they may inform some subjective assessments later.

dpatters

I’ll be interested in the listening test comparing the amps, the associated equipment, and the qualifications of the reviewer.

kernelbob

I’ll be interested in the listening test comparing the amps, the associated equipment, and the qualifications of the reviewer.
I suggest that the "qualifications" of a reviewer should be given little weight.  I've had first hand experience seeing well known reviewers in action that earn the tin ear label.

RDavidson

Not sure what qualifications one needs except normal hearing acuity, experience, and the ability to explain what they are hearing/perceiving. It is also very helpful to know what the reference system is comprised of and perhaps the room size, layout, and acoustics. An explanation of what the reviewer prefers from their reference system (in terms of sonic qualities), as well as music selection, is very helpful too.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Ok, let me ask this....

What reviewers do you trust the most?

dpatters

Ok, let me ask this....

What reviewers do you trust the most?
Six Moons Srajan Ebaen
Part Time Audiohphile Scott Hull
Stereo Times Clement Perry

slefley

I’ve found that trying to understand how a audio component will sound in my room based on specifications works as well as deciding how a recipe will taste based on the list of ingredients. 

dpatters

Waiting on the direct listening comparisons between the the two amps.

dpatters

Still waiting…

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
I’ve found that trying to understand how a audio component will sound in my room based on specifications works as well as deciding how a recipe will taste based on the list of ingredients.
Well, if there’s a cup of cayenne pepper in there....

RDavidson

Well, if there’s a cup of cayenne pepper in there....

But a cup of cayenne diluted into a vat of 20 other ingredients in a 50 gallon drum, still may not say much about the flavor, especially when the sauce is later added to a plate of 5 other things (sources, preamps, speakers, rooms, music selection). :wink: