LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: LDR3000x.V3 Passive, Tube & Solid State Preamps
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2022, 02:02 pm »
I wonder what kind of screwdriver I should use to open the covering and replace components?  I used to have a bad experience while opening an espresso machine and trying to remove a flat disk inside. . But unfortunately, the single screw at the flat disk's center can no longer be screwed tightly, nor can it be unscrewed, perhaps as a result of applying too much force with a low-quality screwdriver. To make matters worse, in the process of removing the stuck screw, I badly scratched the disk of the coffee maker.

Uses #6 hex type socket head screws for top panel. Requires 7/64" hex wrench.

xieqiao

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2022, 01:42 am »
Thanks  a lot.  This is exactly the information I want.

xieqiao

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2022, 02:03 am »
One more question.  Do I need to prepare a Step-Down transformer  for LDR3000x.V3 which I guess is probably a 110V appliance in my 220V country?
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2022, 07:44 am by xieqiao »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:36 pm »
One more question.  Do I need to prepare a Step-Down transformer  for LDR3000x.V3 which I guess is probably a 110V appliance in my 220V country?

No. The LDR3000x.V3 automatically handles either 120V or 240V AC mains power.

xieqiao

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2022, 08:08 am »
Thank you so much.  By the way, I have just orderd Belden 1800F XLR cables which are said to be highly flexible, low-capacitance 110 ohm AES/EBU cables suitable both for digital and analog use.  So is it OK for me to just use such a pair of 1800F cables as ordinary analog XLR cables for my passive preamp?  I assume that in my case, the low-capacitance 1800F XLR cables should serve perfectly as ordinaroy analog XLR cables.

A Google search also says that  “It’s perfectly acceptable to use a digital audio cable for an analog feed — in fact, audio cable made for digital service is better with analog signals than analog-only rated cable. Digital cable will have less attenuation at high analog frequencies than does cable built specifically for analog operation. ”
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2022, 11:38 am by xieqiao »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:18 pm »
Thank you so much.  By the way, I have just orderd Belden 1800F XLR cables which are said to be highly flexible, low-capacitance 110 ohm AES/EBU cables suitable both for digital and analog use.  So is it OK for me to just use such a pair of 1800F cables as ordinary analog XLR cables for my passive preamp?  I assume that in my case, the low-capacitance 1800F XLR cables should serve perfectly as ordinaroy analog XLR cables.

A Google search also says that  “It’s perfectly acceptable to use a digital audio cable for an analog feed — in fact, audio cable made for digital service is better with analog signals than analog-only rated cable. Digital cable will have less attenuation at high analog frequencies than does cable built specifically for analog operation. ”

I think it's a fair statement that our balanced preamps, both passive and active, do not have any unusual requirements as it relates to XLR cabling. Balanced cabling is inherently more complex and subject to more potential problems compared to single-ended RCA cabling. Balanced cabling problems usually relate to how Pin 1 (cable shield) is handled by equipment and cable manufacturers. We have tried several approaches over the years but ultimately settled on connecting all input/output pin 1's to a common star/chassis ground. You can read all about the pin 1 problem on its namesake website that peaks directly to this problem:  pin1problem.com

xieqiao

« Reply #26 on: 23 Mar 2022, 01:13 am »
Thank you.  By opting for an XLR only version, I may be taking up a challenge in cable compatibility. I currently own a second-hand Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier that works beautifully with Blue Jeans LC1 RCA interconnects. It is rumored or probably an open secret that some high-end audio manufacturers prefer RCA to XLR, because the inherently simpler RCA actually sounds better.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:04 pm »
Thank you.  By opting for an XLR only version, I may be taking up a challenge in cable compatibility. I currently own a second-hand Creek OBH-22 passive preamplifier that works beautifully with Blue Jeans LC1 RCA interconnects. It is rumored or probably an open secret that some high-end audio manufacturers prefer RCA to XLR, because the inherently simpler RCA actually sounds better.

My own view on RCA vs XLR goes something like this:

1) One is nor inherently sonically superior to the other
2) Balanced/XLR is indeed more impervious to induced noise in long cabling run and is therefore used extensively in pro audio
3) Home audio applications use relatively short cabling in relatively low noise environments such that induced noise is rarely a problem.
4) It costs more to design and manufacture proper balanced equipment
5) Balanced audio components tend to be better engineered with higher quality components, and therefore may sound better simply because they're a superior design/build, but not necessarily because balanced/XLR is inherently better sounding than single-ended/RCA.
6) Balanced audio equipment is generally priced higher with higher margins, and under the general rule of "if it costs more it must be better", is therefore perceived by consumers as being "better". Whether or not it sounds better. And I don't think it necessarily does.

xieqiao

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:20 pm »
Thanks. This is one of the most professional, accurate, comprehensive, insightful and enlightening summaries on both XLR and RCA cabling.