I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

Danny Richie

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #320 on: 28 Feb 2021, 02:02 am »
80 cents will still be no issue! So I just call you on the gr research number to order it?

Yes you can.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #321 on: 25 Apr 2021, 12:14 am »
Just an FYI for anyone tinkering with speakers or considering sending one to Danny for possible improvement.  Working on a $3K retail set of speakers from a well respected manufacturer.  Push on terminals used on crossover board and all driver connections.  Did impedance sweep on as manufactured condition.  Impedance sweep after ONLY changing to solder connections at the drivers (woofer, mid, tweeter).  R(e) 0.3 ohms less with soldered connections.  Don't know yet if there will be an audible difference.  Getting rid of potential connection problems is worthwhile peace of mind.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #322 on: 25 Apr 2021, 01:50 am »
Just an FYI for anyone tinkering with speakers or considering sending one to Danny for possible improvement.  Working on a $3K retail set of speakers from a well respected manufacturer.  Push on terminals used on crossover board and all driver connections.  Did impedance sweep on as manufactured condition.  Impedance sweep after ONLY changing to solder connections at the drivers (woofer, mid, tweeter).  R(e) 0.3 ohms less with soldered connections.  Don't know yet if there will be an audible difference.  Getting rid of potential connection problems is worthwhile peace of mind.

It was audible on my Super 7’s.  Subtle but more than I expected.

JNieves

« Reply #323 on: 10 May 2021, 09:08 pm »
Hi, I fairly recently blew a pair of tweeters on my much loved AV123 Rocket 750's. I found the tweeters but after replacing them one of the speakers still won't play anything through the tweeter, leading me to believe the crossover may be blown. I believe the crossover was designed by you (Danny Richie) - I'm interested in fixing it or replacing it. Would this be possible?

Danny Richie

« Reply #324 on: 11 May 2021, 01:34 pm »
Hi, I fairly recently blew a pair of tweeters on my much loved AV123 Rocket 750's. I found the tweeters but after replacing them one of the speakers still won't play anything through the tweeter, leading me to believe the crossover may be blown. I believe the crossover was designed by you (Danny Richie) - I'm interested in fixing it or replacing it. Would this be possible?

I can provide you with anything you need.

Chances of the crossover being blown is almost zero. It is usually a connection issue.

JNieves

« Reply #325 on: 11 May 2021, 02:32 pm »
I can provide you with anything you need.

Chances of the crossover being blown is almost zero. It is usually a connection issue.

I will double check the connections.

TheGM

« Reply #326 on: 13 May 2021, 05:15 pm »
New Audiocircle member. Hello All.

I'm hoping Danny can make my speakers better. He has one of my Martin Logan 35XTi speakers in his possession now.
Hoping to hear something from him soon.
Gary M

Danny Richie

« Reply #327 on: 14 May 2021, 01:12 pm »

I'm hoping Danny can make my speakers better. He has one of my Martin Logan 35XTi speakers in his possession now.
Gary M

I measured it last night. Their were some issues...

mzbrahce

« Reply #328 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:48 pm »
Hi Danny--
Have you tested a Dynaco A25?  The stock crossover is very simple, a 5 uF capacitor in series with a resistor, or resistors, selected with a switch.  It's a simple matter to replace the wire, cap, add a bypass cap, ditch the switch and use 1 higher quality resistor, add tube connectors, but can any more be done?
Thanks----------Mark

Danny Richie

« Reply #329 on: 16 Jun 2021, 02:08 pm »
Hi Danny--
Have you tested a Dynaco A25?  The stock crossover is very simple, a 5 uF capacitor in series with a resistor, or resistors, selected with a switch.  It's a simple matter to replace the wire, cap, add a bypass cap, ditch the switch and use 1 higher quality resistor, add tube connectors, but can any more be done?
Thanks----------Mark

Back then they typically didn't use a high pass only filter like that because it was ideal. It was used because it was cheap. I am sure they could really use a real crossover.

BigRiver

« Reply #330 on: 13 Sep 2021, 01:13 pm »

Gary M

Following this, will be interested in the results for sure.

BigRiver

« Reply #331 on: 13 Sep 2021, 01:15 pm »
Also curious if any tests have been done one the Forte iv.  Considering the improvements done on the iii it would seem like a pretty ripe avenue, I for one would be very interested in ideas/packages, etc regarding an upgrade to the iv.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #332 on: 13 Sep 2021, 11:32 pm »
How doable would a like for like parts upgrade be on Klipsch rp6000f be for a complete newbie. I have been kicking around the Encores as well. I am confident in being able to follow along with Danny’s build videos but am a bit concerned on getting my Klipsch apart and not getting them back together without help.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #333 on: 16 Sep 2021, 01:42 am »
The 6000F should be fairly easy, not too many parts.
The Encore will definitely be easier tho.

The real key is to take your time, take pictures of everything, and lay parts out in a way so you know where they belong and how they come apart/go together.

Also curious if any tests have been done one the Forte iv.  Considering the improvements done on the iii it would seem like a pretty ripe avenue, I for one would be very interested in ideas/packages, etc regarding an upgrade to the iv.

No one has sent in the Forte IV as of yet, but it would be interesting to see the difference between the two.

Carlsbad

« Reply #334 on: 26 Jan 2022, 01:05 am »
Good post.  Nice video.

BigSnapDaddy

« Reply #335 on: 3 Jun 2022, 08:47 pm »
I have done a search but don't see anything about the Monoprice THX-365T.  Danny have you looked and these or the center channel Monoprice THX-365C and what if anything you could do to improve them?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #336 on: 3 Jun 2022, 10:45 pm »
I have done a search but don't see anything about the Monoprice THX-365T.  Danny have you looked and these or the center channel Monoprice THX-365C and what if anything you could do to improve them?

We have not looked at those models as of yet.

PeterHS

« Reply #337 on: 19 Jun 2022, 12:32 pm »
Hey Danny these are OK but should be better - do you have a solution?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #338 on: 19 Jun 2022, 02:22 pm »
Hey Danny these are OK but should be better - do you have a solution?

We've had those in before, but they're too small to fit a full-size 3-way crossover, so we didn't design one for them.

Elac tends to use some pretty good crossover design, so upgrading the caps and resistors maybe the best way to go.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #339 on: 19 Jun 2022, 09:35 pm »
Danny and Hobbs.
Could you please let us know how to choose parts on sound quality? Sonic caps or Myflex. Mills or Dayton and so on. What to use in what. Which parts are….Natural, soft, warm, cold and neutral. What are you choice to all of us that want to upgrade speakers that you have not touched. Because we live over seas….
GR does some GReat work.
Do you have your logo in a pdf design/high res printable, to use on my new speaker cases?