Jazz Modules vs Prismas

totoro

Jazz Modules vs Prismas
« on: 1 Jul 2011, 02:49 am »
I've been hoarding my pennies, and will be ready to get some new speakers this summer. I've been thinking about something along the lines of the jazz modules or the gedlee abbeys. Now that the price of the abbeys has increased dramatically, they seem a lot less attractive (and the jazz modules have always been way nicer to look at :) -- I don't have a dedicated room so will have to look at them).  This pushes the Audio Kinesis models to the top of my list. I do have a couple of questions though.

a. Are the jazz modules are still available?

and

b. How close to the performance of the jazz modules do the prismas get?

Thanks for any response.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Jazz Modules vs Prismas
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2011, 04:20 am »
Hello Totoro,

Great moniker.

The woofers that I use in the Jazz Modules are no longer in production, so the next pair would be Version 2.0.  Different woofer, maybe a different compression driver, and a slightly different cabinet (I'd bevel off the rear corners so they aren't so darn wide when toed in).   Unfortuantely, the price would probably go up a bit.

The Prisma is indeed competitive with the original Jazz Module; there's a strong sonic family resemblance, despite all of the parts being different.   Some people who have heard both prefer the Prisma.   If price is an issue, the Prisma would be my recommendation. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:28 pm »
I am familiar with the JM, its big brother Dream Maker (nominee for best speaker name ever), and the stand-mount Rhythm Prizm.  I saw empty Prisma cabinets too. 

IMHO.....I think the RP has more of the sound-as-one wholeness and transparency associated with the best electrostatic loudspeakers.  The prior models are in no way slouches in this regard, but the new models get you even closer to that sound effect. 

I heard absolutely nothing preferred in the prior models.  We used Duke's 5-piece sub technology with the RP, mandatory because of its size.  The combination, even with a $200 receiver (I kid you not) was one of the best audio systems I've heard and I've been doing this and music for over 40 years. 

Sooo...I have no experience with the full range performance of the larger Prisma.  But Duke knows his um, "stuff" inside out and I'd bet my wife's cooking against yours (her meals are legendary in these parts) that the Prisma kicks you know what all the way through.  My best understanding is the Prisma is the RP in a larger box and of course with different bass tuning. 

The size of the sound, whallop, and unlimited SPL (I worked at the Sausalito Record Plant with 2x 15" JBL and huge horn lens in each of four corners, biamped with 300Wpc...you ran and hide when Sly Stone entered the control room) are just out of this world and unknown unless you completely uncork your check book and get something about 6x larger.......You would have been floored hearing Rush at live levels on that system, in a huge room completely open on one side.  Owing Duke's speakers makes you one of the less than 1% of audiophiles with personal experience hearing the absence of thermal compression and the absence of leading edge transient compression at live levels.  I still miss it.  In fact, it's ruined me to the point of needing a new amp because my speakers are only about 88 dB sensitivity.     

Now please stop bothering Duke so he can return to his huge back orders of his smash-hit Thunderchild compact bass/cello enclosure!   :lol:   

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2011, 09:48 pm »
  We used Duke's 5-piece sub technology with the RP, mandatory because of its size.   

Thank you, Jim. 

One minor correction:  That was actually the Planetarium Gamma, a high-output stand-mount satellite speaker which uses the same drivers as the Rhythm Prism, that needed the sub(s).