The best bass I've yet heard: Jim Romeyn's multisub system & setup

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
This past Saturday I had the great pleasure of sharing an audio demo with Jim Romeyn and his Distributed Subwoofer Array, or DSA.  The DSA is a four-sub system wherein Jim has paid a great deal of attention to the enclosure design and construction.  Yeah it's kinda like a Swarm, but he's doing things beyond what I do. 

We used a pair of my Planetarium Gammas, Jim's DSA 1.0 system, and his setup protocol, which is simple and extremely effective.   The complete description is at Jim's website (scroll to the bottom of the linked page), but briefly each of the four subs is a different golden-ratio-multiple distance from the nearest corner of the room, and then one of the subs is wired in reverse polarity.  We plunked the subs down in said locations, fiddled with the frequency and level controls for maybe one or two minutes, and then I think we got the best bass I have ever heard.  Natural and solid, and there were no "bass hotspots" that either of us could detect in the room. 

I will now be recommending Jim's subwoofer setup protocol to Swarm customers, and in fact today did so for the first time in a phone conversation.  I don't know that it's necessarily the "best" in every situation, but it delivered what I believe is the best bass I have heard.  Credit likewise to the DSA 1.0 system, of course.

Thank you, Jim!

Duke

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Wow! Very nice, just got done reading the webpage. Looking forward to hearing results from folks who try this technique.

Duke and James, if you guys have the time, please post any input you have to the multi bass discussion on the Enclosures forum here. Your thoughts/inputs are always appreciated.

Anand.

mgalusha

Very cool. I'd love to see a picture of Jim's room. :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Wow, sorry I missed this thread earlier. 

Our little Christmas show was fun.  It's so late after the show, but I promise to post images tomorrow.

The only reason I've not posted images of my room is...well it's all Duke's fault!   :lol:   Let me explain...I followed Duke's plans for a vertically offset bipolar loudspeaker.  I altered his plan to employ two mid-size monitors (15" tall), one above the other, separated by a stand, rather than one floor-stander.  All was nice till about 18 months later when Duke prescribed a quite-different technique for achieving (hopefully) even better ambiance effects.  The technique required significant changes to all six of the monitors (the system is pure analog Trinaural, three front main channels L/C/R). 

I know as much about cabinet building as I do about nuclear physics.  I modified the cabinets myself only to audition the new design as recommended by Dr. Floyd Toole and interpreted by Duke.  Again, the plan was adapted to two mid-size monitors per channel rather than one floor-stander.  The L and R channels employ the nearby side walls for ambiance.  The design required some original thinking to employ the floor for ambiance on the center channel, which of course has no nearby side wall.  Performance wise the ambiance effects do indeed seem a good step above the vertically offset bipolar.     

A pro cabinet guy picked up the cabinets for final modification and they should be returned and filled with crossovers and drivers within a couple weeks. 

I'll post images at that time and describe the design, which to my knowledge exists only in this room.  I'll also offer some of Debra's legendary home cooking for an audio gathering here in North Utah.  We'll time it on a day that's good for Duke to bring as many speakers down as he can spare. 

If my friend receives his AudioKinesis Acoustic Friendly Thunderchild by then, I think I can borrow it for auditions by anyone who plays bass, cello, and/or acoustic guitar.  IMO it's worth a musician driving several hundred miles to hear the AF/Tc.  I can also borrow another friend's Acoustic Image Clarus 300W amp, and maybe even an electric bass. 

If my guitar builder Ryan Thorell has any of his world-class guitars available, I can likely borrow those too.  But be forewarned they are costly and will spoil you rotten.  Currently I have only one Thorell flat top available.

It should be fun.  I like to listen at live levels occasionally.  The sound room is in the basement.  I was curious how loud it is outside the house.  In this gated community the next door neighbor's garage is only about 15' from my sound room light-well.  So I played Peter Gabriel on Bill Berndt's custom TT just under the distortion point (not AudioKinesis loud, but loud) and stood outside just a few feet from the light well.  To my surprise and delight the sound was very tolerable and inoffensive, even for dear 80+ year old Ruth next door. 

Thank God for basement sound rooms!  IOW, we can crank it late with little concern about conversations with the neighbors and/or the local Sheriff's Deputy.