ZenWave Power Tour: SurgeX and PL Power Cables

econalan

Re: ZenWave Power Tour: SurgeX and PL Power Cables
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2015, 03:53 pm »
Thanks Dave. Looking forward to it when the tour makes it my way.

xsb7244

« Reply #41 on: 19 May 2015, 04:53 pm »
Don't forget about the SurgeX SEQ.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 22 May 2015, 03:36 pm »
xsb, thanks and good point. If you need more than 8 outlets or want the sequential start-up/shut down feature the SEQ is the way to go. It also displays the voltage on the LCD display.

On the tour schedule Chris Adams is up next, mdfoy will be ready to ship after this weekend. Then we have jriggy and econalan.

Chris Adams

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jun 2015, 01:52 am »
I've been listening with the SurgeX and PCs connected to my system for a few days now.  I guess the bottom line is I have to buy a bunch of stuff from Dave because I can't just keep everything, I have to send it along to the next ACer.   :duh:

Dave was also kind enough to send me a pair of SMSG and SMC speaker cables to try along with another D4 (I own one already).  Oy!

SurgeX connected to dedicated 20 amp outlet with supplied PC.
Transport connected to SurgeX with PL 11 FI-50 PC.
DAC connected to SurgeX with inline SMPS.
Pre has passive audio circuit.
Amps connected to SurgeX with Triode Wire Labs 7+ PC.
Each speaker connected to its own dedicated 20 amp outlet with TWL 10+PC.
D4 connects DAC to pre and pre to amps.
SMSG from amps to speakers.

I was hoping I could hear a difference.  It was so good, how good was it?  Dynamic, clear, taut, open, spacious, no sense of glare, air around voices and instruments, wide and deep stage, and this was before I turned it on!

The SurgeX made a significant difference in my system.  The sound with it improved across the board but what came to mind first was a sense of ease. Ah, I can relax and listen to this music.  I wasn't sure how much of the difference it would make.  I'm in a town of 8500 in Vermont and have a 10k solar PV system.  Didn't know how much noise was on my line.  And not noise per say because my system was quiet.  Not a peep at my listening chair and but a faint whisper with my ear up to the tweets.  But with the SurgeX, greater ease and more space, and it wasn't subtle. 

What really sold me on the PCs was this. I have a PS Audio PWT feeding a Bottlehead DAC The Bottlehead uses an SMPS, so no upgrade on the PC (they're working on a battery kit).  The PWT reads the disc and puts a bit perfect sample in a buffer.  When you play the disc the info is sent from the buffer not the disc.  So how much can a PC change the sound?  A bunch.  I have a 10 gauge Furutech PC with Furutech FI-25 G plugs and a Triode Wires Labs 10+.  With all of Dave's cables in place as I listed them, the only item I changed was the PC on the PWT.  First the Furutech cable, sounds good, then a Triode Wire Labs 10+, even better, then the ZenWave PL 11 with FI-50 plugs.  Yikes, better everything!  It was no contest.  The dynamic contrast and clarity improved so much, I was flabbergasted.  Not to mention the total lack of grain.

Someone needs to send around some gear that makes my system sound worse. It's much cheaper that way.

A big thanks to Dave for allowing us to check out his stuff.   :thumb:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 6 Jun 2015, 03:23 pm »
I was hoping I could hear a difference.  It was so good, how good was it?  Dynamic, clear, taut, open, spacious, no sense of glare, air around voices and instruments, wide and deep stage, and this was before I turned it on!

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Thanks so much for your report, Chris!

jriggy

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jun 2015, 10:44 pm »
Really wish I did not have to cancel my turn for this tour. But things must happen in proper order and I have a preamp coming for demo this week...  Now moving from an integrated to separates, I have to concentrate on getting my integrated --serving preamp function only right now-- out of the system. I really should settle on that before trying to replace something.

Sorry guys, and I hope my dropping out does not fowl up anyones schedule.

Jason

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jun 2015, 03:04 pm »
No problem, Jason...let me know if you want to get in later!  :)

So next up is ACHiPo, then econalan...

ACHiPo

« Reply #47 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:44 am »
Well look what was waiting for me at the FedEx office tonight...

Think I may spring for a new box for its trip home--this one's looking pretty rough (or smooth) around the edges!

Inside, paper...

Aha!  Baggies of cords!

Everything arrived safe and sound.  Will give it a serious listen this weekend and post my thoughts.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #48 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:40 pm »
Awesome! Glad it made it, the box looks like it's gone through heck... If you replace the box for me I'll pay for it.  :thumb:

I look forward to seeing what you think.  :green:

usp1

« Reply #49 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
What is the chance of getting in on this tour now? Would love to hear quality cables and see how much difference they make.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jun 2015, 09:49 pm »
Sure, you'd be after econalan who is next up, so the tour package would get to you in 2-3 weeks. Glad to have you! :)

ACHiPo

« Reply #51 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:50 pm »
Wow, this is kinda like (fun) work!  I've spent about 20 hours over the past 4 days listening and reconfiguring my system to test out the ZenWave power products:

1 Surge-X with a PL11 power cord
1 PL11 with very pretty Furutek carbon fiber Rhodium-plated connectors
1 PL14 with solid and serviceable copper Neotech connectors

I'll jump to the conclusion--while I didn't have any epiphanies, the Surge-x is transparent, and did nothing negative, which given it's protection value, is a good thing.  The PL11 power cord did change the sound ever so slightly, which surprised me as a power cord skeptic.  Both the power cords and Surge-X could have a bigger positive impact in a different setting.  The quality, fit and finish is outstanding, and I love the look of the Furutech carbon fiber connectors.

My system is described here:
System

For the test I used my fall-back evaluation music: 
1)  Bela Fleck Live Art: Improv/Amazing Grace and Shoobee's Doobie (for audience ambience, bass slam and attack, PRAT)
2)  The ARC Choir Walk with Me:  Shady Green Pastures and Walk With Me (for male and female vocal timbre, air, ambience, and imaging)
3)  John Rutter Requiem:  Praise Ye the Lord, The Lord is my Light and Salvation, and Out of the Deep (for sibilance, male and female vocal timbre, air, ambience, bass, clarinet, cello, and violin timbre
4)  Miles Davis Kind of Blue:  So What (for horn timbre, drum kit reality and sibilance, emotion)

I also did some casual listening to some Jethro Tull Aqualung, The Who Quadrophenia, Delirium Poem, etc.

Surge-X:  For the test I removed both Richard Grey Power Stations.  The Surge-X was plugged into the 20A dedicated circuit via my DIY 9ga silver-plated copper quad hospital outlet.  I tried different combinations of amps and subwoofers into both the quad outlet and Surge-X with no audible difference, which tells me the Surge-X provides plenty of juice.  I left one amp plugged into the Surge-X for the remainder of the testing.  I did not hear any difference between the Surge-X and Richard Grey Power Stations in any of the tests I ran.

PL-11 with Furutech Rhodium connectors:  I did seem to hear slightly more detail with this power cord when plugged into my Oppo 105 CD player than with my reference DIY cord, and perhaps a bit less grunge.  I didn't hear any difference on my pre-amp compared to its stock cord.

PL-14 with Neotech connectors:  I did not hear a difference on either the CD player or pre-amp with this cord.

Thanks to Dave for the opportunity to try out this gear.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:35 am »
Thanks for giving it a try, I appreciate it.  :thumb:

I am glad the SurgeX was at least transparent, even when running amps through it. I'd also guess your power is pretty clean not to notice a more relaxed sound with less noise due to the EMI/RFI filtration, but it's possible the Richard Grey boxes are taking care of that. I know the Grey boxes have a couple of large inductors in there similar to the DIY choke mod discussed here, but not sure what else is in there. The surge elimination is, of course, the big advantage with the SurgeX vs other choices for power distribution and conditioning.

I am glad you got to hear a difference with the power cable, the results of using them with all of your components can add up to a really big difference. The result depends on the system and components of course.

Nice choice of demo material, I've found female vocals to be a great test. Harman did some research on the subject with pink noise coming in #1 and female vocals #2, but it was close. A couple years ago I used part of a live Bela Fleck track, "A Moment So Close", it was telling but didn't go over so well in some rooms.   :icon_twisted:

ACHiPo

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:16 am »
Awesome! Glad it made it, the box looks like it's gone through heck... If you replace the box for me I'll pay for it.  :thumb:

I look forward to seeing what you think.  :green:
Dave,
I didn't get a chance to find a new box this weekend, so everything is packed in the original box.  It's sturdy, and reinforced with lots of packing tape.  I'll try to get an outer box at FedEx tomorrow when I ship it to Econalan.

AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #54 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:19 am »
Thanks for giving it a try, I appreciate it.  :thumb:

I am glad the SurgeX was at least transparent, even when running amps through it. I'd also guess your power is pretty clean not to notice a more relaxed sound with less noise due to the EMI/RFI filtration, but it's possible the Richard Grey boxes are taking care of that. I know the Grey boxes have a couple of large inductors in there similar to the DIY choke mod discussed here, but not sure what else is in there. The surge elimination is, of course, the big advantage with the SurgeX vs other choices for power distribution and conditioning.

I am glad you got to hear a difference with the power cable, the results of using them with all of your components can add up to a really big difference. The result depends on the system and components of course.

Nice choice of demo material, I've found female vocals to be a great test. Harman did some research on the subject with pink noise coming in #1 and female vocals #2, but it was close. A couple years ago I used part of a live Bela Fleck track, "A Moment So Close", it was telling but didn't go over so well in some rooms.   :icon_twisted:
Dave,
I really appreciate the opportunity to test these out.  If nothing else it makes me feel better about my power!  I didn't mention it before, because it wasn't part of the Power Tour, but the biggest change I heard was replacing my Mogami xlr interconnect with a DD pair.  Definitely a nice step up.

Regards,
Evan

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:17 am »
Can I request to be added to this tour?

In mid-Atlantic, SE PA, 19363.

Gene

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:58 am »
Can I request to be added to this tour?

In mid-Atlantic, SE PA, 19363.

Gene

Hi Gene, thanks for your interest and consider yourself signed up!  :thumb:

econalan

« Reply #57 on: 4 Jul 2015, 08:57 pm »
Many thanks to ACHiPo for the getting the package to me safe and sound on Wednesday. I'm out for much of the holiday weekend, but we'll be able to give everything a "test ride" this next week, and will then post my impressions. So if it works okay for scheduling, I'll get the package out to usp1 on Saturday, 7/11.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #58 on: 6 Jul 2015, 02:44 pm »
Glad the package arrived safely econalan  :thumb:  I've been gone the last few days too, much needed vacation...

Take your time, I believe usp1 is going to be out of town until the 16th so you can wait a few more days before shipping to him. Or just let me know when you're ready and I can coordinate. Have fun trying out the gear!  :green:

econalan

« Reply #59 on: 12 Jul 2015, 08:21 am »
First off, many thanks to Dave for the ZenWave power tour. This was a fun and informative experience.  I’m not the best with audiophile vernacular, but I’ll try to effectively convey my impressions.  Also, I have limited experience w/ power conditioning/surge protection. Previously, I used a PS Audio Dectet power center. No matter what I plugged into it, however, every component sounded better gong directly into the wall. So currently all components are plugged directly into a Hubbell HBL5362W Cryoed/Cooked Receptacle.  My demo period was essentially divided into two phases.

Phase 1, Digital: DAC w/ the PL14 PC plugged in SurgeX,; amp plugged into wall w/ ZenWave PL11 PC. Used the following tracks to compare before and after (no real specific reasons for each track; just nice recordings I thought to evaluate the gear):

Cat Stevens. Hard Headed Woman, Tea for the Tillerman, DSD
Lyn Stanley, Fever, Lost in Romance, DSD
Kenny Burrel, Chittlins Con Carne, 192/24 FLAC
Norah Jones, Don’t Know Why, 192/24 FLAC

Subtle, but still discernable, improvements in my system. Basically, heard “more of the music” w/ added clarity to the instruments.

Phase 2, Analog: sold the DAC earlier this week, so moved to Analog (Dave, I ordered a Sony Hap Z1-ES this week, so I may be talking to you about a power cable).  Here I had the amp (w/ the P11) and my VPI SDS (w/ stock cord) plugged into the SurgeX (existing phono stage is battery operated). Used the following tracks from the LPs for demo purposes:

Beck Morning, Don’t Let it Go, Morning Phase
Steven Wilson, Routine, Hand Cannot Erase
Sera una Noche, Malena, 45 RPM, MA Recordings (a sublime recording)
Joni Mitchel, Amelia, Hejira (Asylum/Rhino 180g reissue)

Wow, pretty significant sonic lift here. Again, just felt like I was hearing more and more of the music, w/ even more added clarity. I’m guessing I was hearing what’s often called a lower noise floor w/ maybe the SurgeX working it’s magic by removing some emi/rfi contamination of the incoming AC power? Thing is, I never thought things sounded “bad” before, but putting the SurgeX into the system really gave me new frame of reference to how things could be improved. Just as important, the SurgeX did not, to my ears, limit the amp at all sonically. As noted above, sonics only improved.  Off to ups1 when I get the notice. Thanks again!